MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #41
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
^^ this post should had been all in bold.. let me ask you openly my friend.. why don't you go to the track to learn this ?? (NOT A TRACK VS STREET QUESTION)
If I can avoid going to a track and still learn to be a good rider then that is what I will do. If I get better instruction on a track then I might consider it later on down the road. I just have no desire right now to do track.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need experienced riders course near League City. DmaxMike New Riders and MSF Course Info 15 06-02-2013 11:18 AM
Basic Rider Course....for experienced riders? pbjsammich New Riders and MSF Course Info 7 03-11-2008 12:50 PM
opinion from experienced riders newrider05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 05-26-2005 08:39 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #42
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald 'n Gimpy View Post
You usually have quality posts, so I'm not going to harp on you... But 5 years?! Or one track day? To go on a long group ride... That's not feasible.

NOObs should go on group rides, but be honest with the ride hosts and THEMSELVES!! Hang back, near the sweeper, and have an experienced rider follow them and give advice (what I used to do on most rides). You only get experience by riding.
I understand what you are saying, I am just getting tired of pulling bikes out of ditches. Maybe small groups spaced out every 5min, and do a shorter ride?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #43
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
And wait a sec, Helios is fat now?
Lol... Ivan is all 89lbs of general bad-assery. (91lbs if he hasn't shaved.)
Anything above that he considers fat. I am a bit fluffy though.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #44
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
I understand what you are saying, I am just getting tired of pulling bikes out of ditches. Maybe small groups spaced out every 5min, and do a shorter ride?
we can never get tired of helping keep our "breed" from florishing or soon we'll be extinct!

it's hard to encourage a non-motorcycle rider to start, and then keep on with all the time/money investing.
we were noobs once, and I had no guidence such as what's being meant on OP
Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #45
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Feedback Rating: (4)

Calling out on all Experienced Riders that Participate on SMRs to combine our power..

392 has years of dirt experience too, so he has prior knowledge to going fast on street and tracks. Just like others. 20+ years of riding experience, more track days than I can count, raced a little and got bumped to Expert (deservedly? Eh, who knows, probably not), instructed for a few years... Still, I HAVE MUCH TO LEARN, obviously .. Always can learn!!!!!

And YES, CraigRR!!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #46
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

I did a one on one short session with comm's two weeks ago. Half way through he was faster than I was on the sweepers. Being able to watch, and coach at the same time helped him alot I think.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #47
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Calling out on all Experienced Riders that Participate on SMRs to combine our power..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
He's fluffy in the middle too, but he drinks too much.

You're probably about where you were last time I saw you in person.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #48
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
392 has years of dirt experience too, so he has prior knowledge to going fast on street and tracks. Just like others. 20+ years of riding experience, more track days than I can count, raced a little and got bumped to Expert (deservedly? Eh, who knows, probably not), instructed for a few years... Still, I HAVE MUCH TO LEARN, obviously .. Always can learn!!!!!

And YES, CraigRR!!
what i'm trying to say is you can't measure experience in a lenght of time but on seat time..
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #49
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I dont know about that. He is indulging on fatty foods lately. That is why he wants to grow that beard to cover up his cheeks lol!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #50
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
what i'm trying to say is you can't measure experience in a lenght of time but on seat time..
Quality seat time!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #51
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
I agree with you Franky, we took care of the noobs this past weekend and still had fun
didn't someone go down?
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #52
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

I'm on the same page as you, Lucar. Just so you know. Myself, and MANY MANY others have been trying to do this for years and years! And some fall off, get too busy, lose interest, etc, and it takes others to step in and step up!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #53
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
didn't someone go down?
I heard ivan.. went down south..
Old 01-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #54
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
Yup! When NinjaChick went down on Sunday, the first thing she asked me after I asked her if she was alright was "what did I do wrong" I was immediatly able to recoginze what she had done. I could see her go down before it even happened. I told her, ok...this is what you did wrong and use this as a learning experience so it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #55
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
Yup! When NinjaChick went down on Sunday, the first thing she asked me after I asked her if she was alright was "what did I do wrong" I was immediatly able to recoginze what she had done. I could see her go down before it even happened. I told her, ok...this is what you did wrong and use this as a learning experience so it doesn't happen again.
exactly, so many experiences here and there, so now that people are getting the point of the thread, chime in, let's make this happen for every one's sake and for every noob wanting to "get better" at riding
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #56
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

...Chris you need to post our HALFFAST Noob ride footage! We had 8 control riders, and like 8-10 noobs on this ride... I know it can be done safely!

Lucar...good for you to try to do something at least to get the conversation back up and going.

I am a noob! I have only been riding about 3 years or so! I am not saying I know how now or am fast or experienced, but this whole track vs street, noob paced or other friends giving friends credit for rides done in the past!! its a shoot when noobs go out on a ride due to so many varriables! Especially larger groups!

I do have to say though track helped save my lots of trouble and taught me lots of skills. I remember when i showed up to my first SMR and I rode way over my head! Before track days.. I am very lucky to be here! I remember my first forest ride where i also got into a lot of trouble. I have crashed more times trying to get faster, and also have riden on noob rides without incident! Track days have a lvl one for a reason but some riders just dont have the resources to get there.. We need to introduce them to the sport better as community Members! But like Bald and Grumpy said..we need more people to step up and stop trolling!

Ivan/Jimrad, Lucar, and Longdraw, Josh, and others have all done noob rides without incident! Senator method is the best so far and HALFFAST has asked to coin a best practice... but this really should be more of a mentorship type thing...

lets put rides on and now worry about our opinions on how it should go and actually come together to create some type of safer enviroment for newer riders so they can have and place to come to and not feel intimidated about all this holy roller BS. I mean come on...this is probly why less and less noobs come out!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #57
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Me no grumpy.. GIMPY (comes with age and abusing yourself in the gym for 20+ years)!! LOL

Speaking of, in the middle of lifting now
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #58
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
Gary aka Dudewheresmybike, told me about the outside, inside, outside path of travel at Empire Cafe one night. I went out by myself and practiced what he had told me and if it didn't work!
I know and like Gary. He is a great rider and person. But for someone to tell an admitted noob, like yourself, that he should be setting up on the outside entering a corner, apexing tat the inside of his lane and then drifting to the outside, on the street is absurd. WHat kind of leeway does that give you entering the corner to run wide if you're on the outside? How about if you're on the inside, at the apex, and oncoming traffic crosses the double yellow? How do you even know where the apex is, to be on the inside, if it's a blind corner?

Not talking about Gary now... the problem is that these guys that think they're hot on the street because they outride people that can't make a 45mph corner without offroading through the pasture, really dont know WTF they are talking about. How do I know? Because I was the guy, several years ago, running 160+ down backroads, draggin knee, tearing up jeans, running from cops, watching people die and pulling countless people out of ditches, waiting on ambulances and life flights, etc. It wasn't until that I became an expert racer, who qualified for an AMA Pro SBK grid that I discovered not only do I fall short by comparison today, I reeeeeaaaalllllyyy sucked back then, when I was riding with a select group that routinely went 160+ through backroads. But if I go back and read my posts from 2008 you can tell I thought I was king daddy.

Having said that, there are some dumbass instructors at track days too. But for the most part, many of them have taken advanced courses and at least have an idea of what real fundamentals are. 9 time out of 10 the stuff they're passing on to you is legit. People learn more in 1 track day experience than they do in 10 years of riding. I have heard it over and over. Consider that when you're listening to folks.

No one needs to get offended by my post. I'm just helping the noobs by warning them of bad information. After all, isn't that what the goal of this is anyway?

Last edited by cdill35; 01-29-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #59
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

^ Brandt speaks the truth

Preach
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #60
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
^ Brandt speaks the truth

Preach
+1
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
Closed Thread

Advertisement