Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #1
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

LED Headlight Bulbs

Has anyone compared LED headlights to HID headlights? Or even just use LED headlights?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED Headlight Bulbs 40acres General Discussion (Moto Related) 109 04-25-2015 08:56 PM
LED Headlight bulbs locally? Mr F. General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 11-12-2011 02:05 PM
60watt LED House Bulbs (Indoor) TonyKmK87 Off Topic 12 07-25-2011 06:21 AM
LED bulbs source here in town?? Zapata How To's and Q & A's 9 07-20-2009 03:40 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
SeksualTorture
The left hand path

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2003 HD VRSCA V-Rod
1996 GT Pro series Team

If you are talking about replacing your stock or HID bulb with an LED bulb, It's not going to happen.

Vehicles equipped with LED headlights, like the r8, use multiple clusters of high power leds to get the job done.

Your ebay special h7, h11, whatever socket leds are barely going light up the housing of your headlights.

The amount of light output will not even be close to being able to ride with, and it will be immediately noticeable :x

I know harley davidson offers a plug-n-play LED replacement for their bikes. It looks pretty good. However like all harley items it is horridly overpriced. Not to mention that a HID retrofit projector setup would take a dump all over the harley led headlight for about half the price.

By "take a dump" I mean the HID projector retrofit would have better beam uniformity, cutoff, and brightness. Plus the availability of parts, knowledge, and upgrades is way better for HID at the moment.

google the retrofitsource, they will have all the parts and info you could ever need for a HID retrofit, they are probably the cheapest too, I would not buy anywhere else.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Houstonbussa

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
2003 Suzuki Marauder

Member Garage

Thanks for the info.. I have HID. A few HD owners I know got LED and they are bright which is why I asked. They also have much less of a draw on power. Something in my HID's got wet and now intermittently working and I smell electrical. So I figured since I had to open it up I may as well ask before hand. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
SeksualTorture
The left hand path

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2003 HD VRSCA V-Rod
1996 GT Pro series Team

No problem. As far as I am aware the best HID projector (arguably) is the Lexus ls430. The beam is almost 8 lanes wide :x, its definately the king as far as width is concerned.

The best bulbs (arguably) are OSRAM D2s CBI, they come stock on the high end mercedez and bmw? vehicles.

I would be worried about shorting something if your electrical is wet. Normally your power wire should be one solid piece from its origin to the headlight bulb connecter. When you add HID several disconnect points are introduced.

power to harness connection, harness to ballast connection, and ballast to bulb connection. Water can get in from any of these points and make a mess.

I would probably pull everything out and seperate it to let dry and reinstall it later.

Or just upgrade with some morimoto d2s projectors, osram cbi bulbs, and denso 35watt oem ballasts

Advertisement