MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Pitster Pro 125GP shake down ride

Pitster Pro Mini-GP 125 Shake down run…

After owning the little bike for awhile now, I finally got a chance to ride it a bit.
Last time I took it to the track, I got a call from work and plans were interrupted and I did not get to ride.
Yesterday the weather was fabulous and it was finally time to see what the little bike would do.
I got to the Katy track and there were Karts in abundance so it was going to be a day of taking turns.
Joey and Chris got there and we got the bikes unloaded and began to wait our turn on the track. I decided to fire the bike up and ride a few turns around the parking area. No gear on, just a slow putt putt to see what the bike felt like. Somehow I managed to tweak my knee and the small bike curled up riding position did not feel good, uncomfortable and painful… also with the 12” tires in the grass and gravel the GP bike felt twitchy, just not a very reassuring ride at all…
As the karts came off and it was our time to ride, I decided that with my knee tweaked, I did not want to ride the little bike. Chris was on a “50”, so I knew he had to be used to small feeling bikes and he said he was familiar with GP shift, so I asked him to ride it for me.
He agreed to it and off he went. It was both fun and painful to watch him ride, I wanted to be on the bike and yet I did not want to be on it. When he got back after the first session he said the bike handled well but it shifted kind of hard…
Second session came up and off Chris road again. Once again I watched someone else ride the bike I had not ridden and again it was a mixture of pleasure and pain…my knee had quit hurting and the excitement of seeing the little bike run became more than I could take. After the second session Chris said the shifting was getting better…I just could not stand it anymore and knee or no knee, I had to ride. So I geared up and waited for the next session.
When it came time for the bikes turn again, with excitement I jumped on the little bike and could not get it to start and kicking on it had my knee hurting again… Chris jumped up and kicked it to life for me and off I went…out of the pit and headed onto the track, both feet hanging off the bike… got my left foot up on the peg, but could not lift the right foot high enough…I stood up on the left leg and pulled my right one up on to the peg and got back in the seat. I mean, who uses the back brake anyhow..
Much to my relief the “twitchyness” got less as the bike picked up speed, not that I ever got to race speed, but it controls much easier and is smooth on the track at speed.
The bike is very different than the little tards…it handled different and feels different.
Much more leaned into the bike, clipons instead of handlebars, whole different world..
The bike did indeed require more foot pressure than I was used to in order to get a smooth shift and seemed to upshift easier than down shift, but the more I rode the better it got.
I never got to race speed as I did not trust the tires and I need to learn to ride the little beast, but I did decide it is a keeper and has potential once I learn to ride it…
I also realized I was getting off the bike more and turning easier to the left than to the right, a couple of times I got some surprise movement to the left in right hand turns as the clipons hand position collided with my right leg and moved the bars back to the left… oops…thinking about it and body position corrected that…
So now it is just getting some more seat time on it and learning to ride it.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitster Pro Mini Road Racer. GABRIEL Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 63 11-05-2012 04:56 PM
Pitster Pro X4 wheel needed HoustonRealtor Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 08-26-2011 01:44 PM
pitster pro dealer Romeo36 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 19 01-01-2009 07:56 PM
Anyone ever owned a Pitster Pro? BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-24-2008 06:22 PM
Shake it baby, shake it! hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 11-06-2005 02:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Thank you for letting me be the first one to take it out. It was fun once the tires were scrubbed in. Also that track is fun with a few challenging turns.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

yep, there are a few places that a fall can sneak up on you... Joey found one them yesterday.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Chris, no need to thank for letting you ride, I was glad you were there to ride it for me...if there was no one there to ride it for me until the knee quit hurting, I might just have packed up and went home for the day and not got to ride it at all...
also since you got more seat time on it than i did, you can give your impressions of what it felt like, some of the guys have been asking about it, some thinking of ordering one.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
joeybaila

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 3 years

2010 too fiddy

another coming soon....

I finally got to put my new nsf100 on the track. On the smaller bike your inputs make such a huge impact on the bike. On the first lap out i ate on the same corner Ivan did when he went out last year. I just picked the bike up and kept riding. Time to order a few things and start my own build on it.

I spoke with mark (bluepine) and he wants to go sometime this week to try his bike out. what do you think Obed? Chris?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I can not make it during the week, we will see what the weekend looks like. I hope the shock for the mini-tard gets here and I can get it back together too...and of course, i need more seat time on the little gp bike..and i need to get the cr picked up from Paul...
Old 01-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

The bike felt good once i got used to It. It surprised me on how much it handles through the turns, i could have pushed it more. But i did not want to be the first person to lay your bike down as well. It has lots of power, maybe i will try joeys bike next time to compare. The only downfall was the kick start would come out and get in the way after a good lean. Maybe i did not put it back in all the way. But it is a fun bike and i am sure it will be more than enough to compete with the other bikes. Also leave them behind once you have enough seat time.

Next time i will try out joeys and see what the differences are.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

I work from 8-5 everyday during the week. I doubt i can make it unless its in the afternoon. It will be to dark to go by the
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
The bike felt good once i got used to It. It surprised me on how much it handles through the turns, i could have pushed it more. But i did not want to be the first person to lay your bike down as well. It has lots of power, maybe i will try joeys bike next time to compare. The only downfall was the kick start would come out and get in the way after a good lean. Maybe i did not put it back in all the way. But it is a fun bike and i am sure it will be more than enough to compete with the other bikes. Also leave them behind once you have enough seat time.

Next time i will try out joeys and see what the differences are.
Could you flat foot on it???

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond