MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Sooo a couple things to add here.

1) Welcome to MH
2) The 05 and 06 R6 have completely different body styles... The 06 is when they introduced the new platform, engine and design while continuing to carry the R6S which had the same styling as the 03-05 R6. So just FYI while you are shopping.

If you have to convince yourself you are cool every time you walk out to your bike. I get that we all have egos we have to satisfy. If your heart is set on the R6, mind you , you should probably figure out which body style you actually like first... then get the R6. However, allow me to submit something for your consideration. Your motorcycle won't always be about a look, it quickly becomes something else where what you care about is the ride itself, not what other people think of you. That being said there are alot of bikes out there to learn on that provide a less steep learning curve that are just as fun and can be just as fast depending on the rider. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, it is what you do in the corners that matters and a SS is very easy to make mistakes due to lack of experience. Those survival instincts can get you killed and none of us want to see injury or RIP threads.

This will be your first bike not your last bike and spending some time on a Ninja 250, Ninja 300, or my personal favorite an SV650s will teach you alot about riding with a little less teeth. Not to mention you will probably go down and trust me the SV crashes like a champ... Mine has been down 3 times and the plastics are still pretty much intact, 1 time on the street right after I started and twice at the track this year. I actually just bought an 04 Yamaha R6 for the track and I can tell you the power and feel of it is wonderful, but after riding it a little bit I can safely say I am glad I started on the SV. It taught me throttle control, brake control, and how to carry corner speed. CuongNuts rides a Ninja 250 and on several occasions he passed me on RR while I rode my SV which had twice the horsepower.

Riding is about the rider, not the bike. The bike can do one of two things.. it can mask your lack of ability and give you a false sense of skill and control, or it can augment it. I firmly believe that too many people who get on an SS as their first bike can learn and grow to be a great rider but many get caught up in the power and that leads to problems.

I would say that is my 2 cents but as long as that post is... that is my .99 cents worth.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday noob/noob+/noob++ ride to Yankee TMAX Events, Meets and Rides 70 10-06-2013 07:36 PM
looking for some clutch insight... The Trav General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 11-04-2010 12:29 PM
Anyone have insight New Era Off Topic 1 01-02-2010 10:33 AM
NASCAR INSIGHT (joke) 04RSVR Off Topic 5 08-02-2007 04:14 PM
BBQ insight......... Buck Beasley General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 06-29-2006 05:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Plus one on most of what was already said.
Call and check what your insurance rate is before you buy.
If you can only afford liability at least add uninsured motorist in case some knuckle head hits you and doesn't have insurance, or worse, runs.
Take your MSF course and make sure to get and wear gear: helmet, jacket, gloves, boots and knee protection.
Respect the bike and you'll be o.k..
Last, once you find a bike you're interested in, bring it by before you buy it and we'll do a visual inspection and test drive, free.
Welcome to MH!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

pretty girls are not always the most fun to live with, nor are they always the most fun in bed...
talk to some guys who have been riding and a long time and own multiple bikes, ask them which is the bike they actually have the most fun on, the answers might surprise you.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #24
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
Depending on who pops into this thread, you'll catch a lot of for wanting a supersport for your first bike. That being said, there are plenty of people who have learned on a 600cc SS, you just have to stay mature and ALWAYS mind the fact that that machine has a ton of power behind it. ESPECIALLY in the beginning. Very very easy to let it get away from you and letting yourself get hurt.

It can definitely be done. But it is inherently more risky. It's very much like learning how to drive for the first time in a Formula 1 race car. More power to ya either way you choose, just want to make sure you're informed!

Regardless of what you get, make sure to post pics when you do!
Well put sir.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
Depending on who pops into this thread, you'll catch a lot of for wanting a supersport for your first bike. That being said, there are plenty of people who have learned on a 600cc SS, you just have to stay mature and ALWAYS mind the fact that that machine has a ton of power behind it. ESPECIALLY in the beginning. Very very easy to let it get away from you and letting yourself get hurt.

It can definitely be done. But it is inherently more risky. It's very much like learning how to drive for the first time in a Formula 1 race car. More power to ya either way you choose, just want to make sure you're informed!

Regardless of what you get, make sure to post pics when you do!
Just get a liter bike right! R6 was my first bike..loved it and learned to ride aggressive right off the bat.
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
Jyn
Resident Hooligan

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
DRZ400 supermoto (sold)
06 600RR (boom)
2015 Yamaha R1 (sold)

That nice looking R6 won't look so nice after you drop it 5 times. You haven't even taken MSF, so I assume you haven't even ridden a motorcycle.

Good luck with that.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I haven't owned that many bikes...

But here are my two cents...

OK, welcome to the forum. Everyone has posted good information I hope you will at least consider.

If your heart is set on an R6 variant, I completely understand the focused thing. With that in mind, you should probably see if you can find a good friend with one you can ride. You might find you don't like certain aspects of it like riding ergonomics, taking off from a dead stop with an inline 4, the engine braking characteristics, the seat comfort, clip-on riding position, etc.

Since you are new to riding, I would suggest that you at least look at a single or twin configuration of some type. Most will be easy and forgiving to learn on due to more torque lower in the RPM range. You will also find most bikes with this type of motor have a more comfortable riding position so you can get acclimated easier to traffic, proper shifting, clutch, and braking coordination, etc. Insurance is MUCH cheaper usually as well.

If you are comfortable, it's easier to learn and get the muscle memory needed when riding.

The other part is this. You will crash early on. We all did. It may be a minor parking lot drop, or a missed turn that has more severe consequences. Better to do so on a bike early on that is not your "dream bike".

Please consider saving up, paying cash, buying GOOD gear (go see a MH vendor with gear in stock you can hold and examine), taking MSF or other training, and buying a used, easy to ride twin or single. Ride it for six months, make sure the "dream" matches the reality. THEN go out and find that sweet R6 you have been craving.

You won't have trouble selling your "learner bike".

Even after all the 50 plus bikes I have owned, I STILL go back from time to time to looking for a nice older single or twin to ride. It's just a fun, comfortable thing. And a slow bike ridden fast is much more satisfying than riding a fast bike slow.

Good luck.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #28
Jyn
Resident Hooligan

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
DRZ400 supermoto (sold)
06 600RR (boom)
2015 Yamaha R1 (sold)

Tojo is much nicer than I am.

We've all been where you were. We're all saying this from experience.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Bob_D
Clutch City

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha R6

Goodluck man its all understandable about 600 but then again if you have zero experience riding and have never ridden any form of bike and or manual transmission its not the wisest decision tbh. But if you must honestly I did the same thing when buying my own first bike which was an r6 as well(prior though I had ridden dirtbikes and friends and families sportsbikes) that 600 is gonna jump up and bite you in the booboo if you dont have the experience I learned the hard way. like many people are saying don't let that ego or bottom head start to take over and control your actions because it can very easily and unfortunately lead to some major problems the rest of your life or death. I have the highest respect I can for these bikes and understand that everytime I get on mine it could be my last time my fault or not. If I didn't have the experience I'd definately have jumped on a 250 or 300... that being said goodluck with your purchase and welcome to MH (:
Bob_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #30
Donte
Im The Dreaded One

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
GS500F

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcrawdawg View Post
Thanks for the advice, Donte. I will be planning on riding around the north/northwest area of Houston (Cyfair to Woodlands/Magnolia area and in between). And I understand why you wouldn't recommend a super sport as a first bike, but I really cannot see myself on anything else. Nothing against other bikes, just love the super sports.
Like others have said looking good is only part of it. When i was looking at bikes my moms friends let me set on his 06 Gixxer i wanted that bike so bad. So when i was first shopping for my first bike all i was looking at was SS. I was reading forums and just talking to people about starting on a SS and was trying to justify me buying one. I dont know if your trying to justify buying one or not but you really need to look at your self and determine that. I came to the realization that if i could do 140+ mph in under 20 seconds i would do it before learning how to properly ride. You have to respect the bike and the bike will let you know if your his/her B*tch or not. The bike i ended up choosing has told me a few times. I have not been in a crash(knock on wood) but if i started on a super sport i feel that all of the "almost" wreck, would have actually been one and probably worse if i was on a SS. This is your first bike not your last, just get some riding experience and then up grade. Starter bike hold there value very good and will not take to much of a loss. Im not saying go get a 250 but at better choices then the 600 is the 300, 500, 650 class and the Fz6r. I ended up buying a GS500F, the bike im on in my avatar, and it has been a great bike and have learned a lot from ridding it. Since your on the north side you should come out this Wednesday to the north side bike meet (its in the event section under WHAK) and meet some of us. Everyone will be more then happy to talk to you and teach you about everything they know, plus meet some of you fellow/future riders. Stay Safe
Donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #31
Tiller

Bike(s):
00 TL1000R
03 RC51
81 GS1100E
05 RM125
11 Ninja 250R

I wouldn't bike a new bike for your first bike bike because you're going to crash. If you you don't don't die from that, fix it and keep riding because you will crash again. Go to the track and learn how to ride. Then after your third crash if you're still alive you can get a new bike for street and keep the old for the track.
Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 AM   #32
kxthor911

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2013 VROD
2006 GSXR750 (track)
2007 CBR600rr (sold)
2005 GSXR750 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to kxthor911 Send a message via Skype™ to kxthor911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
Sooo a couple things to add here.

1) Welcome to MH
2) The 05 and 06 R6 have completely different body styles... The 06 is when they introduced the new platform, engine and design while continuing to carry the R6S which had the same styling as the 03-05 R6. So just FYI while you are shopping.

If you have to convince yourself you are cool every time you walk out to your bike. I get that we all have egos we have to satisfy. If your heart is set on the R6, mind you , you should probably figure out which body style you actually like first... then get the R6. However, allow me to submit something for your consideration. Your motorcycle won't always be about a look, it quickly becomes something else where what you care about is the ride itself, not what other people think of you. That being said there are alot of bikes out there to learn on that provide a less steep learning curve that are just as fun and can be just as fast depending on the rider. Anyone can go fast in a straight line, it is what you do in the corners that matters and a SS is very easy to make mistakes due to lack of experience. Those survival instincts can get you killed and none of us want to see injury or RIP threads.

This will be your first bike not your last bike and spending some time on a Ninja 250, Ninja 300, or my personal favorite an SV650s will teach you alot about riding with a little less teeth. Not to mention you will probably go down and trust me the SV crashes like a champ... Mine has been down 3 times and the plastics are still pretty much intact, 1 time on the street right after I started and twice at the track this year. I actually just bought an 04 Yamaha R6 for the track and I can tell you the power and feel of it is wonderful, but after riding it a little bit I can safely say I am glad I started on the SV. It taught me throttle control, brake control, and how to carry corner speed. CuongNuts rides a Ninja 250 and on several occasions he passed me on RR while I rode my SV which had twice the horsepower.

Riding is about the rider, not the bike. The bike can do one of two things.. it can mask your lack of ability and give you a false sense of skill and control, or it can augment it. I firmly believe that too many people who get on an SS as their first bike can learn and grow to be a great rider but many get caught up in the power and that leads to problems.

I would say that is my 2 cents but as long as that post is... that is my .99 cents worth.
Says the guy that wants a 600 haha just kidding man will be looking for you feb the 3rd at msrh hope your there.
kxthor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #33
GigAg04
Chicken Stripper

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2006 50th Anniversary R6
2006 R6 (Track)
2007 FZ1
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I can't think of a better first bike than any gen of the SV650. Wanting a sexy bike is all well and good, but few things looked cooler to me than when a skilled rider on an SV stuffed me in a corner on my first track day while I was riding a liter bike....

Also - the SV route will free up funds for the more important things like gear and training. And nobody will frown upon you for riding one.
GigAg04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Ok im gona stir the pot....... why is everyone saying that he will crash?? Dont scare the kid before he even starts. Look bro its a personal decision. Dong spend your hard earned money on somehing that you dont want. Buy a nice used bike no bigger than a supersport 600. If you take msf and start really slow you will be fine on a 600. The bike turns just like any other motorcycle. The bike only goes as fast as you make it . Leave your ego at home. Dont ride with jackasses and your less likely to turn into one. baby stels dude. I wouldnt blow 2k to just turn around and sell it 2 months later. This debate is silly. You can get just as injured on a ninja 250. both bikes are capable of triple digit speeds so whats the real difference when you crash going that fast. If you are mature enough then buy a 600. If ypu are gonna ride like an idiot dont even buy a bike. All tbese people acting like their 600 are the fastest things on the planet. take your time. learn slowely. get your confidence up and dont go on any rides with anyone for a while. other people will make ypu want to push ypurself. if I were you I would buy an old dirt bike and learn how to take off turn and shift, and brake. after that take msf and pay attention. practice practice practice. wear all your gear, and stayaway from group rides. please dont buy an SV!!!Those are for gays!! And dont buy a yellow suit thats even worse!!!lmao jk trey!
QUICKGIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Yaaaaaaa i butchered that spelling!! I cant type well from these phones...lmao
Old 01-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKGIXX View Post
both bikes are capable of triple digit speeds
I love it when people try to make a point with incorrect data.
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Just understand that any bike that has a big "R" in it stands for racing! Insurance companies sort of frown upon young inexperiened riders having an "R" anywhere near them! I bought a used beat up 883 Sportster cash when i first started riding and that's what I learned on. I know your first instinct will be to go for a sexy, sport bike; but honestly it took me riding that beat up Sportster almost a year before I had the experience and confidence to get into an R-type sport bike. These bikes can humble even the most experienced riders if they aren't given the respect they deserve! Bottom line, you can get away with more mistakes on a cruiser than you can on a sport bike. There is less room for error on a sport bike and given your experience and learning curve, I say go with a small cruiser to start with. if you absolutley have to have a sport bike, the FZ6 or SV650 are good choices! Good luck!
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #38
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Ok challen enlighten me plz. Im not doing my research i guess. so 89, 90 maybe???????? Tell me the top speed and I will validate my point to you!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #39
01ls1ws6

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Black and gold baby!
YZ250

I bought my first bike about a year ago on this forum. It's an 09 r6 and I love it. I will say it's not the most comfortable of the 600 class, nor the best down low on torque. It is however in my opinion the sexiest 600 out there.. All this info is good but bear in mind, a ninja 250 will kill you just as fast. Get the bike you want and leave your ego at home. Also buy used and buy it cash if possible. Full coverage ins is pricey and I repeat do not take that r6 over 10k.. It's scary fast lol.. Have fun and be safe.
01ls1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxthor911 View Post
Says the guy that wants a 600 haha just kidding man will be looking for you feb the 3rd at msrh hope your there.
Just for variety... you will see that SV passing you! Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigAg04 View Post
I can't think of a better first bike than any gen of the SV650. Wanting a sexy bike is all well and good, but few things looked cooler to me than when a skilled rider on an SV stuffed me in a corner on my first track day while I was riding a liter bike....

Also - the SV route will free up funds for the more important things like gear and training. And nobody will frown upon you for riding one.
This guy has a point.. there are some crazy fast guys out there on SVs and nothing is more satisfying than passing a Supersport on an SV knowing you have 30 less hp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKGIXX View Post
Ok im gona stir the pot....... why is everyone saying that he will crash?? Dont scare the kid before he even starts. Look bro its a personal decision. Dong spend your hard earned money on somehing that you dont want. Buy a nice used bike no bigger than a supersport 600. If you take msf and start really slow you will be fine on a 600. The bike turns just like any other motorcycle. The bike only goes as fast as you make it . Leave your ego at home. Dont ride with jackasses and your less likely to turn into one. baby stels dude. I wouldnt blow 2k to just turn around and sell it 2 months later. This debate is silly. You can get just as injured on a ninja 250. both bikes are capable of triple digit speeds so whats the real difference when you crash going that fast. If you are mature enough then buy a 600. If ypu are gonna ride like an idiot dont even buy a bike. All tbese people acting like their 600 are the fastest things on the planet. take your time. learn slowely. get your confidence up and dont go on any rides with anyone for a while. other people will make ypu want to push ypurself. if I were you I would buy an old dirt bike and learn how to take off turn and shift, and brake. after that take msf and pay attention. practice practice practice. wear all your gear, and stayaway from group rides. please dont buy an SV!!!Those are for gays!! And dont buy a yellow suit thats even worse!!!lmao jk trey!
Don't listen to this guy SVs with bright yellow riders are sexy. Way better than tampons on 600s right NewRider?

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement