Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Taking the dive on getting my CMRA License

I just wanted to ask a few random questions i wanted to ask for a beginner like me to watch out for when getting my CMRA License.
Was it hard to begin for you?
Did your family & friends help out or was it your drive?
Any other pointers or a heads up would greatly be appreciated
CMRA license Mace Taking it to the Track 19 08-04-2013 02:37 PM
CMRA License Class ArturoC Taking it to the Track 19 02-15-2012 08:42 AM
anyone want to go cool off at 288 lake for skin dive or SCUBA dive urbanXJ Events, Meets and Rides 34 06-20-2011 09:48 AM
Ride Smart CMRA license Spidermonkey Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 02-27-2010 03:27 PM
CMRA license???? HoustonGixxer Taking it to the Track 26 04-25-2008 02:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
ninenine
cmra expert

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

My opinion, if you want to race then RACE. It's a passion that drives you to race not others.

Hope to see you out there
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
ninenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392 View Post
My opinion, if you want to race then RACE. It's a passion that drives you to race not others.

Hope to see you out there
Very true i just dont want to get a race # for me its all about challenging myself, having fun, racing & lot of learning. I definately want to enter at least 10 sprint races w/ in the year but 1st thing 1st cmra class, corner work then RACING
Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Alot of things depends on how many races you would want to do in a weekend and how much your willing to spend $$$$

Say if you decide to race 4 races a weekend.

That's 2 sets of tires, also don't forget the Friday practice is a set. So you would need almost 3 sets of tires for the weekend.

Now you don't have to put new rubber on the bike but it def helps because that's what most are doing.

Just be ready to spend some money. Racing isn't cheap. However, IT'S A BLAST!
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Sponsors:HoPD,P1 Racing,SCRC,Pirelli,Arai,BD Racing,Vesrah,Vortex,VP Race Fuels,Optimal Racing,Motul
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
If you're racing for fun - and not for being competitive for a championship (and even then...) 3 tires a weekend isn't necessary - at all.

I ran 3 races at TWS (Texas World Speedway) at the end of last year. Friday practice were on tires that I had used for a few track days. I did have a new set for the race. My fastest time of a 1:53 was done on the last lap of the last race. I've ran a 43 at MSRH on a tire that was almost toast.

Unless my finances change or I get a deal on tires - I will be using the same rear every 6 races - flipping it accordingly and use the front for probably 9 races before I switch it out.

Even if you do get a new set of tires for every race, you can use your old race tires for the Friday practice.

If you're not corner working for track days - racing doesn't have to be that much more expensive than track days. The slower you are - the more money you save on tires That's my excuse anyway.

BTW - for tires, I'm running the Dunlop UK n-tec's for now. Might be switching to the Americans later this year and my tire changing schedule might change.
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Cody,

Never said he had to have that many tires. Said it would def help, which it would. If you run a soft compound for sprints to get the advantage of grip there is no way you can do what your trying to do. Like I said, depends how much bank your willing to spend on racing.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Never said he had to have that many tires.
Quote:
So you would need almost 3 sets of tires for the weekend.
Maybe I misunderstood?

Wait, I understand - you run Pirelli.

But in all seriousness - you can run fast times if you're smooth on the inputs. Like I said, I ran a 43 at MSRH (in December no less...lol) on a ntec dot that you couldn't see the tread in part of the tire. I run a med front (typically) and a med+ rear. No issues yet *knocks on wood*
-Cody
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Quote:
Alot of things depends on how many races you would want to do in a weekend and how much your willing to spend $$$$

Say if you decide to race 4 races a weekend.

That's 2 sets of tires, also don't forget the Friday practice is a set. So you would need almost 3 sets of tires for the weekend.

Now you don't have to put new rubber on the bike but it def helps because that's what most are doing.

Just be ready to spend some money. Racing isn't cheap. However, IT'S A BLAST!

Guess you did misunderstood.

I do agree with you about you can still run fast if being smooth.
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

dew it Ray!!! You'll be fine just have fun! Start off small and just watch your rubber...don't push past your limits...well just a little. i'm running Dunlops too and feel great! It will just depend on your budget!
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Thanks for the insight guys. Im looking to atleast 2 races a weekend to get into the swing of things. I'm looking to have an extra set of tires & rims like Cody says 1 set for practice 2nd set for sprints to make it easier & faster. Im at a ok pace 1:50-1:55 pace at MSRH but practice makes for more improvement. Plus i think this will further improve my riding,skill level & be safer on the track.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
ninenine
cmra expert

Bike(s):
2015yzf-r6 A-bike
2012yzf-r6 B-bike

Look forward to seeing you out there ray!
CMRA#99
WERA#99
Old 01-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
dew it Ray!!! You'll be fine just have fun! Start off small and just watch your rubber...don't push past your limits...well just a little. i'm running Dunlops too and feel great! It will just depend on your budget!
im trying ive just been procrastinating alot about this so here goes nothing... not looking to break records you know me its all about having fun & racing... Cant go wrong w/ Dunlops plus im not trying to break bank either
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Quote:
Look forward to seeing you out there ray!
same here Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Also, you dont have to CW to start racing! You can race immediately after you get your license. You just don't get rid of your prov nov status until you fulfill your CWing duties.

If they did it like they did last year - for February, if you're taking the licensing class on Friday, you ONLY pay for the licensing class. As in, you don't pay for the track day and the class on top of that. (first race practice only!)

-Cody
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Are you going to Do the race school on Feb 15th? That is the soonest you can take it and get your license and sign up for a race on the 16th. I have team members signing up for the 15th to get thier license. I think the race school will cost you 75 and that will cover your trackday for that day. Then it will cost you 146 for your license for the year.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
Also, you dont have to CW to start racing! You can race immediately after you get your license. You just don't get rid of your prov nov status until you fulfill your CWing duties.

If they did it like they did last year - for February, if you're taking the licensing class on Friday, you ONLY pay for the licensing class. As in, you don't pay for the track day and the class on top of that. (first race practice only!)

-Cody
i was going to try that but im probably going to school on friday then maybe get my CW out the way the next days but ill see dont want to overwhelm myself to quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Are you going to Do the race school on Feb 15th? That is the soonest you can take it and get your license and sign up for a race on the 16th. I have team members signing up for the 15th to get thier license. I think the race school will cost you 75 and that will cover your trackday for that day. Then it will cost you 146 for your license for the year.
No i was trying but funds wont be straight by then im shooting for March 22nd. Just trying to do it easy & as painless as possible no rush here but i do want to get everything sorted out by mid year
Old 01-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBusa View Post
i was going to try that but im probably going to school on friday then maybe get my CW out the way the next days but ill see dont want to overwhelm myself to quick

No i was trying but funds wont be straight by then im shooting for March 22nd. Just trying to do it easy & as painless as possible no rush here but i do want to get everything sorted out by mid year
You wont have to pay full price for the license if you on race half the year. but you cannot start your pro nov requirments untill you pay for your license.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBusa View Post

Sounds good. If you do plan on racing Sunday (at MSRH) - I wouldn't recommend trying to CW Saturday. Being your first time, I'd try to get the bike teched and everything else taken care of on Saturday. The last thing you want is to be rushed for your first day.

After the first weekend though, I don't see a problem CWing Sat / racing Sunday. You'll know what to expect.

Also, this is personal preference, but I'd do my first race at a track I'm comfortable at. That's just me. One less thing on your mind.

It's a lot of fun! I'm only making a few rounds this year - but I'm already looking forward to it.

What bike are you on?
-Cody
Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
Sounds good. If you do plan on racing Sunday (at MSRH) - I wouldn't recommend trying to CW Saturday. Being your first time, I'd try to get the bike teched and everything else taken care of on Saturday. The last thing you want is to be rushed for your first day. Thanks for that info i didnt know you could do that

After the first weekend though, I don't see a problem CWing Sat / racing Sunday. You'll know what to expect.

Also, this is personal preference, but I'd do my first race at a track I'm comfortable at. That's just me. One less thing on your mind. Im doing TWS (Texas World Speedway) in March 22 plus im very comfortable there It's a lot of fun!
I'm only making a few rounds this year - but I'm already looking forward to it.

What bike are you on? The BUSA nah jk R1 & Suzi 600 for now might sell the 600 & get another R1 to have a back up bike for just incase purposes
-Cody
Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM   #20
exalted512
Slow^^^

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

I was wondering if you were going to try and race a busa...I have no idea what classes that thing could go in...haha. The thing about liter bikes is that you reduce the amount of classes you can enter. And you go through tires more...haha
-Cody

Advertisement