MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
motoczar
RoadRunner

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr

motorcycles as everyday transportation

They cover good facts of why lane splitting is needed in heavy traffic and the reasons why to ride motorcycles as everyday transportation.

So, what do you think?
motoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
here is something you dont see everyday bunxx Off Topic 1 11-23-2011 08:22 AM
You don't see one of these everyday wiayeman General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-16-2009 03:17 PM
He is with me everyday NorthHoustonGSXR Off Topic 33 07-01-2009 05:14 PM
WOW it's not everyday that you see this... Mrs. ~T~ General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-12-2008 03:04 PM
everyday Leathers? logan5 Gear Talk 24 03-14-2007 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

i do not commute on my bike just because you are more exposed to drivers on their cellphones, women putting on their make up, etc. add all these to rush hour traffic. If you dont have a choice then go for it but if you have a car then i think it is a lot safer to commute by car and leave the bike for weekend fun.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

I always find a way to scoot through traffic in houston, not lane splitting. There is usually always an open lane on 59 or 610 to hop over in and pass. Never need to lane split in houston unless I am at a light and want to get ahead.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Theoretically yes. In Houston, for me, my choice: no way. It is way too dangerous, and often at the end of the day I am not sharp enough to ride a bike home safely. Weather conditions also can go to good to horrid very fast.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I am not a fan of lane splitting thru moving traffic... they expressed opinions that were not backed up by the studies they quoted... yes the 30% figure when discussing the number of motorcycle deaths in rear end accidents is accurate but then they jumped and said that lane splitting would eliminate that, not so...at least not lane splitting in traffic...stop lights and stop signs is where i feel most vulnerable to that and lane splitting is not going to help there...in short, they did not present any facts that backed up thier position on this issue... they gave facts, yes...but they were short on ability to link the facts to their position here.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
x-ray
CMRA #228

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I thought they did a good job on the message in the video. I've been sharing it on Facebook.

I've been commuting to work near the Galleria for several years. I've had less problems with other vehicles when on my VFR than I did when I drove a car. Of course I stay out of blind spots, ride a white bike with saddlebags and topcase so I look even bigger, and try to keep looking that 12 seconds ahead while covering clutch and brakes when I pass through a danger zone. I "what if" every car in sight to try to be ready to take action. However, the few times I rode my SV to work before tracking it, I noticed that cars did not see me as well and literally were slightly aggressive towards me compared to when I ride the VFR. I never have that happen on the bigger, brighter VFR. So maybe the folks riding smaller sport bikes start out with that negative aspect that's maybe caused by visibility and preconceptions.

I'm lucky that I get to do 2/3 of my trip on the 290 HOV. If I had to do it in the main lanes I'd probably still take a car more often just for the A/C unless we could lane split. I'd have to change up my bike config to split because my VFR with saddlebags is usually too wide to fit between cars even if I wanted to.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
x-ray
CMRA #228

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I agree with obed on the "show me the facts".

If I could have one thing from elsewhere, it would be where we could filter up to the front of the line at intersections. My wife took video of bikes doing that in Italy a few years back. It was awesome how the light would turn green and Bam, the bikes and scooters were gone!
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

my main concern about the facts, is not to discredit them at all, but when ever you present an arguement for change, the facts should appeal to the folks who disagree with you and not be just cheer rendering comments for the folks on your side...
most of the bikers who want lane splitting will love this video, but it will do nothing to change the minds of folks who oppose it...with that in mind i think the video is an overall failure.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

This video really, only applies to California anyway doesn't it? Even then, I thought Lane splitting was Illegal up to a certain speed?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
tbssowner

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
i do not commute on my bike just because you are more exposed to drivers on their cellphones, women putting on their make up, etc. add all these to rush hour traffic. If you dont have a choice then go for it but if you have a car then i think it is a lot safer to commute by car and leave the bike for weekend fun.
I think we already knew that by looking at your handle.
tbssowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Street riding is risk management. Commuting is no different. Statistically per miles travelled, commuting is relatively safe compared to being out weekend nights and early mornings. Commuters may be impatient, but they aren't drunk.

Visibility is critical for street survival. I agree the type of bike makes a big difference. Sillouette of a sportbike is inherently small - great for aerodynamic, terrible for visibility. It doesn't help that the typical SS rider chop off their mirrors, fenders, reflectors, etc... exactly all the equipment that were designed to enhance visibility. If you get a chance to follow an SS and a dressed-up Sport Tourer, bagger, or even a nice big cruiser side-by-side, you'll see the difference.

Not trying to discourage commuting with a sportbike. Just saying commuters need to consider their priorities carefully. A lot of the mods I do are specifically for visbility: HID conversion, superbright LEDs replacement/addition for license plate, position lights, etc. A set of saddlebags and a top case increase a bike's silluette dramatically - not to mention mighty useful for commuting. Install some reflectors and LED lights makes it even better. Uncool? Maybe. But I'd rather be uncool than dead.

As for lane splitting. No doubt it can be done relatively safely and, in some places, legally. To me, however, that's questionable risk management. Lane splitting is buying expediency and paying with increased risk. That's a lousy purchase in my book.

Last edited by Volfy; 01-11-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Litos

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha Raider
2009 Buell XB12
2003 Ninja 636

i don't lane split because i don't commute my bike to and from work.

....and the only time i really ride is when i'm out on cruises with ya'll, which are long back country roads with little to no traffic.

i rode my bike today - went south into Brazoria county down 288 and on HWY6.

i try to stay away from as much traffic as possible......

buellsig
Litos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
gorillamonkey2

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2002 r6

I have a friend in LA who got hit lane splitting. Cage just switched lanes unexpectedly. Granted it was at 60 mph
gorillamonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
motoczar
RoadRunner

Bike(s):
gsxr

Seems like a lot of I'm scared so nobody else should be able to split lanes yes, I lane split but I also ride my bike more than a weekend . I see no reason why I or any other rider should wait in traffic and suck on the exhaust of the vehicle in front of me, especially when there's 3 feet of space between most of these cars. If you don't trust your skills don't split but I'm all for it. And know I ask, how many of you lived or even been on vacation somewhere where you can lane split and tried it
motoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Racerxxx
CMRA #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Very well said. I feel the same. My 250 only sees the street when its just going for a ride
Racerxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
david75

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2009 Aprilia Shiver 750
1999 KTM LC4 640
2005 Triumph Sprint ST (sold)
2003 Honda CB 919 Hornet (sold)

I commute almost everyday on my motorcycle and I have had many close calls, that if i had caged it would have ended up being an accident. I have never truly lane split, but I have used the shoulder and passed slow cagers in HOV.

It all comes down to your confidence in your abilities and your willingness to take the calculated risks. No different then back road, out riding.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

If cars were outlawed, then only outlaws would drive cars
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

I dont own anything with more than 2 wheels.
It is no more or less dangerous than operating ANYTHING.

I do lane split/filter. Not so much to get to the head of the line, but to avoid a rear end/heat stroke/etc..

I used to commute 40 miles from Denton to downtown Ft. Worth...I-35. If you have ever been up there you know what I am talking about. I split everyday. Split cops too, never had an issue and even if the cop WAS to try and come after me, I'd be at work before he got 3 miles.

I have been in all the lower 48 on bikes, and I have split in all of them. Nevfer had any issues whatsoever.

I think it should be legal, just because. No harm in it other than "he got in front of me!!!"
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
Truckin_Thumper

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
El Tigre 1050
WR426 Blue Hooligan Motard ---once back together

BTW...

Taken from here:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbfaqs.htm

Quote:
19. Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?
The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."
An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.
Texas Transportation Code
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I commute almost every day and split/filter with the traffic turns into a parking lot.

It dosn't seem to bother the LEO

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=filtering

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=filtering
urbanXJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement