MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Sugar Hill Off Road Park (SHORP)

I'm gonna go ahead and start this thread to gather some riders to regularly heading out there for some mini action, dirt, trails, kart, and mud on any Sunday, the day of choice in my opinion. The park is open all weekend for those who want to go on their own.

For anybody who's missed the revival thread, here it is.
Linky. http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...=245168&page=8

This weekend it's gonna be EXTRA MUDDY so grab your knobbies, ponchos, and do t forget to bring a towel.

It's a mixed use facility so expect trucks and four wheelers when it's muddy like this. Who wants to go get sloppy?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sugar Hill Off Road Park mini riding Bagwell Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 0 02-16-2013 10:04 PM
Sugar Hill 4x4 Eric6R Off Topic 5 07-05-2012 10:27 PM
Harris Hill road MANSON6 Taking it to the Track 18 05-22-2008 07:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Shorp decals!!!! Lol!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

we need to get the track mapped and then have decals made for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
bluepine

open for:
Mini, dirt bike, mud sumo, hide and seek, and bbq.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Come out Sunday! Get your knobbies and lets do some side by side drag racing down the mud run! Pit bike, mini, and open class racing!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Lucar

Member Garage

What? No 4x4s
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Whaddya mean? Theres bound to be 4x4s there with this weather. If you want to bring one instead, then come on with it.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
hando600rr

sundays gonna rain Im going to try and go Saturday
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Mike is out of town and won't be open Saturday. I have the park reserved for us on Sunday and I'll be runnin the show in Mike's abscence.

Rain? You mean automatic bike wash? That's the point of Sunday mud fun! It won't be raining all day long so there should be some dry spells for the ninnies.

If you want to ride the kart track in the wet, then please be mindful of the mud while entering the track. I'd actually recommend staying off it while it's so sloppy but I won't tell ya to get off if you want some wet riding experience. This won't always be for mud events y'all.

Get with me for deets. Ate tree too ate tree oh too fife fife won.

I already have about 5 people ready for mud drags but if more people want to come Saturday instead then post up and let me know. I may be able to change it up at work and with mike so we can meet Saturday.

Last edited by FoxRider; 01-11-2013 at 01:11 PM.
FoxRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
Miloman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 50
Bugatti veyron ss (sold)
Dodge Tomahawk (sold)
Ducati desmosedici RR (sold)
MTT turbine bike (sold)

Is it ok if me and a buddy come? We have Honda 50's with not very many places to ride..
Miloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Come one, come all, just call before you haul.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #12
hando600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxRider View Post
Mike is out of town and won't be open Saturday. I have the park reserved for us on Sunday and I'll be runnin the show in Mike's abscence.

Rain? You mean automatic bike wash? That's the point of Sunday mud fun! It won't be raining all day long so there should be some dry spells for the ninnies.

If you want to ride the kart track in the wet, then please be mindful of the mud while entering the track. I'd actually recommend staying off it while it's so sloppy but I won't tell ya to get off if you want some wet riding experience. This won't always be for mud events y'all.

Get with me for deets. Ate tree too ate tree oh too fife fife won.

I already have about 5 people ready for mud drags but if more people want to come Saturday instead then post up and let me know. I may be able to change it up at work and with mike so we can meet Saturday.
danyg closed saturday. Let me know if you are going to open it. Satruday will be perfect weather (i think) no rain and warm. Sunday looks like cold and wet not my cup of tea
Old 01-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hando600rr View Post
danyg closed saturday. Let me know if you are going to open it. Satruday will be perfect weather (i think) no rain and warm. Sunday looks like cold and wet not my cup of tea
This guy here! Haven't seen u over here in a bit. I'd be down Sunday if I can get my exhaust cut down early. Put ur big boy pants on and come with it! Ill bring the 4 wheeler.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
hando600rr

nope not doing sunday man. unless a miracle happens and its not cold but i aint passing up a day in the 70s for a cold one...OR if I cant ride saturday I will be out there to suffer
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Since mike is out of town and I can only be away from work one day of the weekend, give me a count of who prefers Saturday or Sunday. I have the go ahead to do either for this weekend but work will only let me do one. I'll post up this evening to let y'all know when I'll be there to let y'all in.

Bikes only. The park is too muddy to take damage from bigger tires. Orders from Mike.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Good to hear.... you start tearing it up too much with big stuff and it just sucks for everyone when it dries.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
hando600rr

WEll so far Im the only sensible one that wants to ride in warm weather :lol: I tihnk I am being out voted on this one so rio may be my saturday option and if Im feeling crazy I will come out and watch you monkeys on sunday haha
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Sunday here. Wait, can I bring the 4 wheeler?

Last edited by Supa Dave; 01-11-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Sent too soon
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Others have gotten with me via phone and fb about picking days so you're not the only one. Just post up anyway.

Bikes, atvs and side by sides only for this weekend. Sorry, I wanted to rule out trucks. If you ha e big tires, please be mindful of your ruts. This place gets sloppy after a rain and it holds water for days.

I'll post a FAQ when I get home from work.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
FoxRider
Thumpitty thump

Bike(s):
1997 DR 650
Pitster 150

1984 Suburban

Mods, if you could, please add the following in the original post of this thread:

UNOFFICIAL FAQ:

What is this place?
142 acres of retired landfill/Golf Course. The old clubhouse, shop, and wash bay still have running water and electricity and yes, there are restrooms. So ladies, you're welcome.

Where is this place?
NW corner of Kirkwood and Bissonnet in Alief

Is it really legal?
YES. The groundskeeper, Mike, has full authority by the main property owner and LEOs to maintain the property and allow or deny access to anyone.

Where do I get in?
The only authorized entry point is the chained gate on the northern edge of Bissonnet, just east of Keegan Rd.

How do I get in?
Access is authorized by appointment and invitation only. Trespassers and vandals will be removed from the property and prosecuted at Mike's discretion. It's unfortunate to have to mention, but because it's in Alief, that's how it is.

How much does it cost?
Because the maintenance, clean-up, restoration, and operation of the grounds are all done by volunteer work primarily by Mike, it is asked that a donation of $10 per person be contributed. Because not everybody who comes carries cash and sometimes isn't told to bring any, there are other ways to contribute*:
A. Bring your buddies: Bring three donating riders who were recommended by you and receive a day pass.
B. Work to Ride: Volunteer 3 hours to clean-up and maintenance and receive a day pass.
*Day passes are given at Mike's discretion.

Who can I bring?
Anybody and everybody with a sensible head on their shoulders. Your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, dog, and even your friendly neighborhood spiderman may come and play with their donation.

What can I bring?
Anything you want except: garbage, glass, shrapnel, firearms, explosives, drugs, and annoying hooligans. You may bring, and sometimes it is recommended to bring: water, food, snacks, recovery equipment, spare parts, tools, gas, first aid kits, and don't forget to bring a towel.

What can I drive there?
ANYTHING! THIS IS A MIXED USE FACILITY and everything from 50cc pit bikes to monster trucks, rally cars, and tracked vehicles (yes, that means tanks) have already come by. However, with that said, it is recommended you watch out for vehicles larger than you!

Is there a set track direction?
No. Sugar Hill is 142 acres of free roam playground with multiple trails, circuits, and obstacles. However, by practice and word of mouth, the rythm section and kart track are all run counter-clockwise. With this said, BE MINDFUL OF OTHER VEHICLES AS YOU ROUND BENDS AND CREST HILLS. There may be something you don't expect on the other side headed your way.

What size bike should I bring?
Everything up to 350cc will get good use of the tracks and trails. Most bikes above 400cc will feel a bit stuffed and you'll be hard pressed to find a long enough straight safe enough to really open her up. The ideal bikes for the kart track are 50cc-250cc and for the rythm sections, 125cc-400cc. Bigger bikes are more comfortable but rarely get out of third gear.

What size tires do i need for the mud?
The mud run is fairly shallow and most people do well even with 31"s. There is a mud hole and a swamp hole where lockers, 4wd, and 35"+ are recommended.

Are there other things to do besides ride trails?
Yes. During the summer, the pond is opened up with a zip-line, floating dock, and full time fresh water pumped in. You are welcome to walk any trails you like but remember to yield to vehicles, fast or slow. There is a burn pit up front set up for bonfires, and barbecueing. Also, the clubhouse can be opened for cooking, and playing games but you'll need to bring your own gear.

Can I plan any events or get-togethers?
Absolutely! If you need help coordinating an event, want to gather more people to come, or want to plan a race day feel free to call, message, or text Mike, or myself.

Great, I read all of that! Now who do I call to get in!?
Mike (groundskeeper) ate tree too - tree seben fife - fife niner niner niner
Everett (auxilary coordinator) ate tree too - ate tree oh - too fife fife won

As with any other park, CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL!

You may also check it out on Facebook for pics and news updates at Sugarhill Orp (shorp).

If I've forgotten anything I'll add on to this thread later.

Last edited by FoxRider; 01-11-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: edited contact info
FoxRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement