MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
stevenuhh
SE Asian #2

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
08 Ninja 250r Sold
2011 zx10r abs

Be PREPARED though i had a lot of oh moments when two flat foots woulda helped but i managed out fine
stevenuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering a bike? Grim_Reaper General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 03-24-2012 01:13 PM
Lowering a bike..... *RED* General Discussion (Moto Related) 49 12-10-2008 03:39 AM
Lowering Your Bike Captain How To's and Q & A's 14 07-23-2008 08:07 PM
lowering the bike, please help. level5 How To's and Q & A's 10 03-15-2007 06:58 PM
lowering bike yankee Performance and Modifications 13 12-31-2005 11:36 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
tunaluna
Thread killer

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 sold
06 cbr F4i sold
04 gsx 600

Member Garage

yeah I figured I would have a couple.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

There is nothing sacred about the stock ride height. It is what the mfr deem the best compromize - between comfort, handling, ground clearance, and loading rating - for riders of a certain weight and height percentile. A 6" 275 lbs rider will load the bike to a different geometry than a 5' 95 lbs riderette. The bike will handle differently as a result, even if the bike is set up properly by a pro who knows how.

As long as you understand the downside of lowering a bike and keep the amount lowered to the minimum necessary for your needs, sometimes the gain in confidence outweighs the negatives.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
negordon

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki gsxr 600

I'm a shorter guy and have never had a problem with my stock 600, I do find myself balancing on one leg a lot. More out of comfort than anything else as I can normally flat foot if I move closer towards the tank. With that, do whatever makes you more comfortable since you can always lower/raise the bike when you feel the time is right.
negordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #25
Bald 'n Gimpy
What?

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 10+

An old yet still somewhat popular option to have the seat shaved and recovered. Sometimes can give an inch or two extra reach for the vertically challenged
Bald 'n Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
01ls1ws6

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6 Black and gold baby!
YZ250

When I bought my R6 it was already lowered. I actually didn't even know until the guy that test drove it at Motorcycles Unlimited told me. It's only lowered in the back about 2". Front is stock height. Not trying to thread highjack, but is the handling that much better at stock height?? I'm not a tall guy, but I'm 5-11" so I don't need it lowered. Although I do like the look of the stance.
01ls1ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #27
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

My first 600rr was lowered and my 2nd 600rr was not. I didn't think one felt lighter than the other. I preferred the stock height much more for cornering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #28
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

A 650lb cruiser feels MUCH lighter because it is soooo low.
With weight lower, you have more "leverage" when you hold it up.
Also, you can use your leg muscles to hold it instead of just your toe/foot/calf muscles.

If you lower JUST the back, your bike handling will be a lot slower because you have increased the rake of the suspension. Opposite is true if you lower the front... the bike will turn in quicker. There's a fine line between turning in quick, feeling light, and feeling twitchy and getting head shake. On a bike that is pretty relaxed, you can do this... on a SS or something like a Buell... you'd probably just be unstable.
Lowering front AND back shouldn't change it too much, but will change a bit (lower CG and also you moved the front wheel in closer to the bike).

Cut out seat, or even just a narrowed seat is probably easiest... doesn't require a diff kickstand, doesn't effect handling, and easy to swap out.

With that said, once you are comfortable, you'd be fine with just tippy toes. Personaly, I wouldn't want to do that though.... there would be a moment of dropping the bike while walking it, or stopping on un-even ground, or some random BS that could be prevented by a little more foot on ground.

Advertisement