MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Considering sell my bike.

I have recently been considering selling my bike once the weather warms up and the fair weather riding season people come back out.
I bought my bike in Dec 2005, wrecked, without my wife's knowledge, and due to her anger over that I let it sit for 2 years. I repaired in in early 2008 got it registered, titled and inspected, and rode the out of it while my wife was deployed in the Middle East. I rode it a fair amount until my daughter was born in June 2010, I think I put about 12000 miles on it, almost all of it in the forest.
I rebuilt the front forks with Racetech valves and springs, had a full exhaust, power commander and k&n filter on it for a while, now back to a slip on and K&N filter only.

This past year I have ridden it less than 1000 miles, it sits in my garage and just makes me sick to see it sit. its a 2003 cbr 600 f4i with the silver and red paint (right around 16k miles right now). I have less time to ride due to having a toddler at home, and while I enjoy riding it do not have the same love for it. It really saddens me to see the bike that meant so much to me just sit and not bring the happiness that it used to. In addition one of my old riding buddies sold his bike and the other is so flaky i cannot count on him anymore.

If i sell I will not sell any of my riding gear, I do plan on eventually buying something a bit bigger later, but i would sell all the spare parts i have for it (one of the "quick acceleration" 520 chain kits, spare plugs, the full exhaust, a racetech rear shock valve, extra rear shock, extra engine harness, and a handful of other small parts). As I said i would wait until April before doing anything, not only to give my self time to think about it, but also to wait for prices to inflate some.

Anyone else ever go through a phase like this and come back to riding after a few years off?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
considering sell my bike albertinhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 03-05-2015 12:04 AM
need to sell my bike Dgig Off Topic 7 01-09-2009 02:15 PM
Might sell the bike gtdrivr General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-16-2008 09:21 AM
Should I sell my bike? RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 02-15-2008 10:51 PM
How much could I sell my bike for? Robert95z General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 11-28-2007 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I sold my bike when my kids were young.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I sold my bike when my kids were young.
When did you get back into it?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Bikes, cars, and houses are all the same to me. I rarely get emotionally attached. There are millions out there. I dont think twice about selling them, and grabbing another a year down the line.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
When did you get back into it?
I would still ride on occasion, but didn't have my own bike until 2009
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdrivr View Post
Bikes, cars, and houses are all the same to me. I rarely get emotionally attached. There are millions out there. I dont think twice about selling them, and grabbing another a year down the line.
I am sure i can get past anything emotional, but one fear I have is that I may regret it due to cost.
I paid $2250 for the bike with 1900 miles in 05, and replaced the left side and upper fairing, front fender, windshield, fairing stay, shifter and tail fairing, with total cost of the bike still right about $3.5k. I know anything I buy later will likely cost more, especially since I am looking at larger/newer sport bikes (like a ninja 1000, or an 800cc or larger honda VFR)...so I am concerned about regretting selling a bike that is comfortable to me, extremely reliable, and more than adequate power for me and my wife to ride together.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
obed
TMGP Pimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

over the years I have had several occasions where i was bikeless for a bit...
moving, divorce, finances... all were factors, but everytime i got rid of one, it would not be too long before another one or two or 9 took its place...even when i have times that i do not ride much, it is nice to look at them in the garage and remember the good times i had on them...bikes are like , even when you are not up to it, it is fun to think about it...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

When I found out I was going to be a father it got weird, the thought to get rid of riding all together came and was short lived. After opening up with a member on this board she snapped me out of it and all was good.

My friend just became a father and traded his motorcycle before she was even born. Funny story instead of having his slow harley he got a 500+whp drag truck. seems smart right? . I figure in time he'll come back around and be on two wheels.
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Mine has been sitting for a while. I have way too much in it to sell it. It can just sit until I regain interest
Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
donnlynn2
eennnaaawwww

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
01 Honda CBR F4i

Member Garage

I have a 6 month old, I bought my project bike aply name frankenstein cause nothing matches funny thing is I bought it just after he was born. I layed it down at low speed and also had the mrs. (who use to ride...hmmp) growl for a bit and for a while that marge simpson voice "u better be careful" made me more nervous the my first ride. but im back on it. I kiss my wife and son, he still cracks a smile when in have the helmet on and i'm enjoy a couple of hours on the road. Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

It's an itch that only having a bike will scratch! Having an exotic sport bike as my main bike I decided to buy another one for the next time it's in the shop for 3 or 4 weeks. I missed some really nice rides and vowed I would not be in that position again. I don't have kids yet and that could all change when we decide. I keep hearing they are life-changing.
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
It's an itch that only having a bike will scratch! Having an exotic sport bike as my main bike I decided to buy another one for the next time it's in the shop for 3 or 4 weeks. I missed some really nice rides and vowed I would not be in that position again. I don't have kids yet and that could all change when we decide. I keep hearing they are life-changing.
Oh... just you wait.

I wouldn't swap my 3 munchkin's for all the bikes in the world. Any one of them is far more rewarding to behold than the most exotic steed money can buy. They don't cost much to produce, and it's a real pleasure to boot. Raising them, OTOH.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Flakey friend? Its like that
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Lol...yeah from 1987 when I got married until just 2 years ago when I said to with the wife and her rules and took the basic course, got the M, bought a Ninja and brought it home. Good luck, it is tough having little kids...been there...it is tough with big kids that are in college, etc. I feel for you, I really do...
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Right after I got married I sold all my bikes. Two weeks later, wife walks in and orders me to go get another one.

Since then, I have always had a few. I'm only attached to one, the rest come and go as it makes sense. You can always find another "deal" later. , half the fun for me is the search, then learning everything I can about a particular model and getting it up to par.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Oh... just you wait.

I wouldn't swap my 3 munchkin's for all the bikes in the world. Any one of them is far more rewarding to behold than the most exotic steed money can buy. They don't cost much to produce, and it's a real pleasure to boot. Raising them, OTOH.
This is what I am afraid of!
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
signpimp

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
YOLO - You only live once. I have owned bikes for the last 20 years. I'm not riding on the street much, but I always have something there. When I got married, I bought a new bike, my 2nd. When my kids were born, I started racing (safer than the street). I wrecked and chalked it up to a calculated risk.

The years I didn't ride, it's because I didn't feel like it. I never let any peer pressure, or family pressure, make decisions for ME. Keep it if you still think there is a chance you will ride again one day and don't need the money. I just bought all the parts to put my 98 GSXR 750 back on the road again. I raced that bike in 2001/2002 and kept it all these years with the intent of going back to the track someday. I have another track bike in the stable, so I'm putting the GSXR back on the street!!

Like Bluewave said, sometimes if you have enough money into something, you would just rather keep it until the interest to ride is there again.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #18
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

I am not too worried about risk and safety, I am a firefighter and my wife is a cop, so we have not exactly chosen professions that are known to safe! Plus we see plenty of splatters as well and that has never influenced me about riding (I saw my first motorcycle fatality before I could drive anyway).
I am not financially very deep into the bike, and its not a particularly rare or unusual bike either.
My wife was very surprised when I mentioned I might think about selling, she has never asked me not to ride, asked me to get rid of it or anything, she has her own set of gear and a class m as well.

I guess for me is that it is not bringing me happiness right now, and I am pretty sure it will for someone else.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
VFR Clown
Novice trackjunkie

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
98 Honda VFR800FI
96 Honda VFR750 (wrecked)
90 Kawa ZR550 (sold)
if the vfr dies...adv or motard

Member Garage

short story...had a bike, got totaled, got another one the following year, daughter was born, slowly stopped riding, bike sat for a few years, got divorced, fixed bike, started riding again, trackdays. Now I think about getting a track bike but in all that time I never thought about selling it. My ex also had her gear and M but never really rode by herself. Always thought we would get her one.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

if i did trackdays i would probably not be talking this, but honestly they do not even appeal to me, except in the sense that it would improve my riding. given a choice of spending most of a weekend and all the movement of stuff to get to and from the track, or spending it with my wife and kid....the bike will sit.

Advertisement