MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #21
lucydad
Senior Member
 
lucydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 855

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90






Nice Monster, they are great bikes. I live in SL and ride quite a bit on my very slow, but pretty Guzzi. Watch highway 6, it is treacherous for left turning cagers. If you ride during school hours, the school zones are also traps with mommas and vans and cell phones all lit up. SL police love to lay traps on highway 99/University near UH SL---and the construction on 99, and resulting mud, when wet is like grease on the road. Ease into it, learn the bike's emergency braking response, stay out of blind spots and learn all the time. I almost bought a Monster, but backed away from the LED instrument cluster, and also dealing with the big dealer on the SW Freeway and extreme sales tactics. The best rides in my opinion are outbound Hwy 90 to Richmond/Rosenberg and out to Brazos Bend Park vicinity.
__________________
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm Legal... misery General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 09-30-2012 05:58 PM
Legal for less j27 Moto Insurance 0 07-13-2011 09:38 AM
Legal humbleassassin General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 05-10-2010 11:53 PM
I'm Legal! petah50 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-04-2009 09:25 PM
legal or not legal? RACER X Off Topic 34 10-28-2008 01:09 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,494

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






congrats on being legit

riding gear?

not sure who told you any duc is a good beg. bike, they lied

2 shops i's recommend

motorcycles unlimited
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

if thats to far
Metric Cycles in the heights

both better then "dealers"
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #23
itsmebanky
Senior Member
 
itsmebanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 478

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy






Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Nice Monster, they are great bikes. I live in SL and ride quite a bit on my very slow, but pretty Guzzi. Watch highway 6, it is treacherous for left turning cagers. If you ride during school hours, the school zones are also traps with mommas and vans and cell phones all lit up. SL police love to lay traps on highway 99/University near UH SL---and the construction on 99, and resulting mud, when wet is like grease on the road. Ease into it, learn the bike's emergency braking response, stay out of blind spots and learn all the time. I almost bought a Monster, but backed away from the LED instrument cluster, and also dealing with the big dealer on the SW Freeway and extreme sales tactics. The best rides in my opinion are outbound Hwy 90 to Richmond/Rosenberg and out to Brazos Bend Park vicinity.
thanks for the info. i was trying to think of places to go but im deathly afraid of hwy 6 and still not confident enough for any highways (59, 8, etc). I was thinking of riding hwy 6 east towards pearland. its usually empty and wide and open, although not very scenic, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
congrats on being legit

riding gear?

not sure who told you any duc is a good beg. bike, they lied

2 shops i's recommend

motorcycles unlimited
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93

if thats to far
Metric Cycles in the heights

both better then "dealers"
i bought most of my gear from dennis kirk on sale, i figured its my first set so i just need to be safe and not making any fashion statements.

1x shoe rf1100
1x alpinestar glove
1x alpinestar jacket

normal jeans and whatever shoes im wearing that day.

those two shops have come up a couple of times, thanks for the recommendations. its always good to know i have trusted options.
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
itsmebanky
Senior Member
 
itsmebanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 478

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy






Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT GUY View Post
Congrats on doing things the right way. It's much appreciated from all of us in the moto community.

Hopefully you don't plan on riding over the next couple of days it's a little wet out
lol i wish i could take it out but these random storms are getting on my nerves!
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,494

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






Get riding boots ankle injuries suck
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
1FC
380 Racing & Paint
 
1FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,901

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR






Congrats !
__________________
CMRA Novice Champion with / 380 Racing & Paint / South Central Race Center / Pirelli Rubber
Motorcycles Unlimited / Houston SuperBikes /
Cycle Gear / P-1 Suspension / M-4 Products / Family and Friends
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
Kawafasty
I make little kids cry
 
Kawafasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 851

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'13 zx-14 r. Red
(Sold) 2009 Cbr 600 black
(Sold) 2009 Kawi 650 red







Great!
__________________
good till the last drop
Kawafasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY
 
wiayeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Med Ctr
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,122

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)






Well Done!

May I suggest knee pads also. Not for the same reasons that BYRDMAN has them.....
__________________
OOT
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #29
Litos
Senior Member
 
Litos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 288/BW8
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 502

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha Raider
2009 Buell XB12
2003 Ninja 636







feels good, right !?!?

after i got my bike towed in Galveston, the very next week i took the MSF in Alvin.

THEN, the following weekend i took the written test at the DMV in Alvin.

i was literally door knobs.

as soon as the screen said "Congratulation, you have passed" it felt as if i had just came in Jessica Alba.

never came in Jessica Alba before, but i'm almost positive it would feel the same as passing this test to get your CM.

enjoy it man.
__________________
2009 Buell XB12R Firebolt

buellsig
Litos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
itsmebanky
Senior Member
 
itsmebanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 478

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy






Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
Well Done!

May I suggest knee pads also. Not for the same reasons that BYRDMAN has them.....
lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
feels good, right !?!?

after i got my bike towed in Galveston, the very next week i took the MSF in Alvin.

THEN, the following weekend i took the written test at the DMV in Alvin.

i was literally door knobs.

as soon as the screen said "Congratulation, you have passed" it felt as if i had just came in Jessica Alba.

never came in Jessica Alba before, but i'm almost positive it would feel the same as passing this test to get your CM.

enjoy it man.
LOL, yeah bro i did my MSF saturday/sunday then DPS Monday morning. it was a super stressful 3 days! other than paying registration/title transfer/fees/1st month insurance, it was well worth it!

Are you the same Litos from e90post??? lol
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #31
lucydad
Senior Member
 
lucydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 855

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90






Banky,

I don't claim to be a certified instructor, or nearly as experienced and wise as many on this board. But, I can show you some of the SL riding ropes. PM me if you want to meet up. Don't feel bad, it is good you are cautious. I avoided highway 6 for the first month and stuck to First Colony neighborhood roads. With time you will gain skill and confidence. Same with 59, it took me a couple months to come to grips with speeds much above 50 on my Kawa Ninja EX 500 (great bike). Practice a lot. Pay attention, learn from every ride. Smooth and steady is safe and invest in the best gear you can afford. Assume you are invisible, etc....
__________________
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
itsmebanky
Senior Member
 
itsmebanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Missouri City
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 478

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Huffy






Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Banky,

I don't claim to be a certified instructor, or nearly as experienced and wise as many on this board. But, I can show you some of the SL riding ropes. PM me if you want to meet up. Don't feel bad, it is good you are cautious. I avoided highway 6 for the first month and stuck to First Colony neighborhood roads. With time you will gain skill and confidence. Same with 59, it took me a couple months to come to grips with speeds much above 50 on my Kawa Ninja EX 500 (great bike). Practice a lot. Pay attention, learn from every ride. Smooth and steady is safe and invest in the best gear you can afford. Assume you are invisible, etc....
PM'd
itsmebanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy