MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
ZX-Dominance

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2008 Speed Triple White Knight (sold)
2008 CBR1000RR "Red Rocket"
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Carb issues- Ninja250

I have an 06 Ninja 250 I picked up to turn into a track bike for my gf.

When I got it, it started and ran without issue- though the cam chain tensioner was VERY loose.

I brought the bike home, and it didnt move much for a couple weeks- I got the new tensioner springs and once installed the clacking sound was gone... however- the bike was much harder to start/keep running.

The bike will only turnover when cold if I crank up the idle screw, and give a little throttle upon start-up.

Once started up, I basically have to baby it/work the idle screw and throttle a bunch to keep it running within the proper range (keeping choke on).

Once warmed up, I can turn off the choke, and return idle screw to what I assume is a normal level. However- the idle is still rough, and sometimes will go up and down randomly. I have also noticed the revs "sticking" after I give it some throttle.

So, TL;DR:

1) bike requires high idle setting to start when cold
2) revs are "sticky"- not the cable sticking, the throttle opens and returns normally
3) upon first approaching the bike, there will be green gasoline-ish residue on the the idle adjuster
4) when fully warmed up, the bike acts fairly normally, revs still slightly sticky and the idle rpm with vary randomly
5) gas is new, seafoam is in the gas

Does this sound like dirty carbs, or something else (synching needed? CCT too tight?)

I've been running it almost daily with seafoam and it has been getting a little better but still not great.
ZX-Dominance is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carb issues cturtle99 How To's and Q & A's 8 01-29-2014 11:40 PM
Carb Starting issues cuong-nutz How To's and Q & A's 16 01-23-2013 09:12 PM
Does anyone have a list of no carb - low carb foods? GIXXERKELLY Health and Fitness 7 08-17-2009 11:32 AM
carb issues??? bigjay77 How To's and Q & A's 7 09-28-2007 02:17 PM
think the ninja250 is ugly, maybe something else to consider RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 91 09-21-2006 03:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

What kind of mileage is on the bike?
Valve adjustments should be done at about every 7500 miles. A carb sync should be done as well. Also check to make sure your vacuum lines are not dry rotted.

1. The bike is carb'd so it'll need to be choked when cold. Usually 3k is as high as I'll set it and gradually reduce as I'm riding it.
2. Revs are sticky, might be that you've been messing with the idle screw. You should only mess with the idle screw once. Once the engine is warmed up to operating temps, you should set the idle at about 1300. I find that our bikes like it at 1500 rpms. That point on, you should not need to mess with it again.
4. Fluctuating rpms could mean that you have a leaky vacuum hose or your jets are dirty.
5. Make sure you are using the adequate amount of seafoam per instruction. If the carbs were really gummed up there is a chance that the seafoam could dislodge some crud and gum it up more.

I think the CCT are auto adjusting so I highly doubt it to be too tight. How do the plugs look?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
signpimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 klx110

Send a message via MSN to signpimp
definitely need to sync the carbs just for good measure. I had one of these bikes years ago and had the same problem. Depending on the mileage, it might need the valves adjusted also. When you changed the cam tensioner spring, did you make sure the timing didn't change? Sounds like you might have a timing issue, so the bike is trying to start with some misfiring going on - which would explain the other problems.
signpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Thanks for the info.

I had ninja 500 as my first bike, and rode it for 3 yrs/15k miles- so Ive had some experience with carbs, warm-ups, etc.

The CCT spring change was basically in and out, I don't know that the timing wasnt changed, but Ive put 30miles on the bike since these issues arose and the bike doesnt run like theres a timing issue. I also don't hear any noise that would be indicative of bad timing (valves touching, etc).

The bike has 7600 miles, so I guess a synch and valve check would do it some good. I've got no clue how to synch the carbs, but a valve check will only take an hour on this thing.

I'm probably using more seafoam than recommend (1/4 bottle in 3 gallons)- but Ive done it before and has worked miracles on dirty carbs.

The start-up and idle are what are really throwing me off. The idle screw works by adjusting the throttle, so the varying rpms at idle dont make as much sense to me.. unless the jets are just uber nasty.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)

Also- would you elaborate more on vacuum hoses.

Like, what do they do, and where are they?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

The carbs are gravity fed and by vacuum. The more you open the throttle the more vacuum the carbs create thus more fuel flows through. The carbs are linked together through a series of hoses. Remove the fairings and you should be able to see some small rubber hoses attached to the carbs. Just check them for cracks and dry rot.

10379d1214794975 need help some ninja 250 owners forum3
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
ZX-Dominance

Bike(s):
2008 FZ1 (wifey)
2007 ZX-6R (track)
2005 SV1000S (sold)