Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Lightbulb ECU Tuning for the BMW

This is from the S1000RR forum, pretty cool stuff if you are considering a reflash of your stock ECU.

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to the forum and wanted to share a project we are working on over here on my personal 2010 S1000RR. I was never happy with the drive-ability of these bikes, very off/on and tip in throttle was never desire-able. I am personally not a fan of "interceptors" aka Power Commanders because they don't adjust torque limiters, ignition /advance, and force the bike into closed loop fueling. While I've tuned a few and they "work" there is so much more left on the table.

In my personal business, we re-map and tune lots of German vehicles and Japanese sports cars. While working on our in-house BMW M3, and become frustrated with my S1000RR - we realize there are alot of similarities in the DME the S1000RR uses with some of our Bosch Audi tuning - which is the Bosch BMSK computer available in our bikes. After some research we learned our in-house tool that we use to program alot of European vehicles is actually compatible with reading and writing to our ECU.

After removing the ECU and opening the lid / examining on the bench we were able to get a full hex dump of the stock tune. From there and over the last few weeks - we identified many maps in the hex editor and starting creating the architecture of our wonderful bikes. Before making any changes we put our bike on the dyno to get two baselines, one stock and one with a full Akrapovic system. AFR is target based so the difference between both AFR curves is nearly identical with and without exhaust.

So far the changes we have tested and proven to work well:

-Remap part/idle/tip in/full throttle targets. Most important the sharp lean tip in at low rpms.
-Remap part and full throttle timing for premium fuel (93).
-Removing 1-2-3rd gear ignition (in some cases up to 3degrees advance).
-Remap Torque Targeting tables to supply a full 100% open throttle operation at high loads, the factory throttle was not fully open.
-Remap of all ignition retarded throttle tables rain through slick for smoother operation and drive-ability. Most important to me was the off idle throttle response. We can custom tailor all these tables and almost fully satisfied with the drastic difference in feel.
-Cat temp threshold (for bikes without catalytic converters this removes the rich fuel compensation to preserve the converters life)
-Adjusted the rev limiter 100rpm.

We are just about ready to head back to the dyno for more testing. Rain has been difficult lately in Massachusetts. We plan on testing multiple air fuel mixtures with an EGT probe to find the best repeatable power. Options for race gas with be easy to map from there. Based on our current testing alot of power in this bike is based off ignition timing and torque targeting - not just fuel tuning. It appears the OEM timing map is made for less then Premium fuel.

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/ex...stock-dme.html