MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #61
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
That's not true... if they underestimate your bill, then you underpaid for electricity. The next month, you'll receive a catch up read which will 'true up' the amount owed for the usage you used.

If they overestimate it... you'll underpay the next month. You pay the same no matter what.

Unfortunately the energy company (REP) you have has NO CONTROL... we are bound by law to bill you for what the TDSP sends us. There is no use getting angry at the energy companies, though it is very natural to feel that way.

Who is your REP?
I roll with Direct Energy for now, but probably going to change to whoever is cheapest on powertochoose once I move into my townhome (end of April). I understand what you are saying, but what are the chances they are going to underestimate? Whether it evens out or not, you're bill paying isn't accurate. If they go 4 months in a row and underestimate and then decide to get an "actual" reading it could be considerably off. I'm not arguing here, just stating that I think it's BS that we (consumers) pay a lot of money to have electricity and they're (CNP or whomever) too lazy to hire enough guys/gals at 8-10/hr to come get an ACCURATE reading monthly. One last question, if they average it up on a monthly or bi-monthly interval....why does my billing period for one month only cover 26 days and the next cover 34? Maybe I'm tripping, but it doesn't seem to add up. Maybe it's becasue I feel like I'm getting raped already:laughing6
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electricity costs Chubby Racer Off Topic 74 08-07-2009 03:51 PM
shopping for electricity. jrob Off Topic 5 02-25-2009 12:55 PM
Electricity Rates Ogre Off Topic 6 01-15-2009 03:43 AM
Electricity fast-n-furious Off Topic 108 07-22-2008 05:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #62
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
DBuck - That's why we do balanced billing. No need to worry about this. They reconcile your account like every 6 months. That's when your payment may change. Mine's been at $120/month for a couple years now.
I'm gonna have to check that out once I get into my new place. Do you know if all the Reps offer this?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #63
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

All REPs are required by the PUC of Texas to provide a 'balanced billing' program. They are great for some people who really like to budget... but not everyone likes them.

Dbuck... odds of them estimating two months in a row is very slim, let alone 3 or 4 months. I totally understand what you're saying, I can't agree with you more. It sucks... but unfortunately it's something that happens. Reliant is working with CNP to correct this problem, because it costs us ALOT of money to have to deal with the issues AND it hurts our customers.

In regards to your billing cycle... the TDSP has about a 10 day window to read your meter. Sometimes it will be 26 days, sometimes it will be 33 days. The PUC gives them that right, if they didn't there would be LOADS more estimated reads. :icon_bigg They have several million meters in their territory they have to read each month!

And just some food for thought in regards to selecting your REP. I'm all for open market and www.powertochoose.com is a great website. You definitely should do some research and select which REP works best for you. But let me be honest... you get what you pay for. While electricity itself can't be differentiated from one REP to another, the customer service can! We at Reliant pride ourselves on providing great customer service. And it shows... for something like 17 straight months we have had the fewest number of PUC violations of any REP in the deregulated market! That's not something to take lightly.

Moral of the story... do your research, become an educated consumer and choose the REP that YOU think will provide the best service for your individual needs.

If you want to talk about this anymore (forums are a hard way to really communicate) please feel free to PM me and we can chat...

PS: Don't forget, us Reliant employees are consumers too. We have absolutely no discount and pay the same rates as everyone else. So we have to deal with the same thing our consumers do, and estimated reads is one of them. I happen to live in a regulated portion of Kingwood, so I don't have a choice, I have Entergy.

Last edited by Steve O Chap; 02-20-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Steve O Chap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:02 PM   #64
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

...we just moved into a 2050 sqr ft house.....

our bills at the 1000 sqrft apartment were (submetered)

AND WE HAVE AN ELECTRIC HEATER!, that thing spins like CRAZY when its on.... we are going thru TXU, what should we expect?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #65
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer

AND WE HAVE AN ELECTRIC HEATER!, that thing spins like CRAZY when its on.... we are going thru TXU, what should we expect?
I dunno, but I'd invest in some vaseline:laughing6
Clyde said something about his mansion running like 500/month in the summer time and I'd bet his house is a little bigger than 2000 sf though.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #66
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

elec. heaters are the worse........it's like a huge space heater.

alot depends on the efficiency of the house. double pain windows? insulation? air leaks?

Steve O' what about that OMR meter???
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #67
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer

Expect very high electric bills... :eh: You'll probably have pretty consistent billing throughout the year, you won't have that 'winter break' that those who have gas experience.

Electric heating is tough, especially if your house is 2 story... this is a good time of year to have an HVAC inspector come out and do a 'tune up' on your heating/cooling system. Get it ready for summer.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #68
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
elec. heaters are the worse........it's like a huge space heater.

alot depends on the efficiency of the house. double pain windows? insulation? air leaks?

Steve O' what about that OMR meter???
Ed, the OMR meter is read by the meter readers from their truck... I really don't know too much about them other than what I've already mentioned. They aren't really used a lot right now, but I believe there is going to be a push moving forward to get more folks on those meters. I believe they charge $100-$150 to have one installed.

You can call Centerpoint and they can give you all the details... if you call Reliant, our agents will just tell you to call CNP. :laughing6
Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #69
nels

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
01 Silver/Black F4i-SOLD =(

same thing's happening to my parents. Pops said his bill came in high for the past two months, around 500. Ima tell him what I read here. He thinkgs my mom screwed up by signing up for Reliant's "save-money" plan. As for me, mines good. around 140 a month for now. Summertime it jumps up to around 240. I keep telling myself I'm gonna switch to something cheaper (TXU) but haven't done so.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #70
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

FYI...

Before you all go assuming you've received estimated reads... a high bill doesn't neccessarily mean that's what happened. It will tell you on the invoice if it's an estimate or not. I believe it says EST near the consumption values.

Many people get high bills because they are very inefficient with their usage or they have problems with their HVAC system.

Check to see if you have an EST on your invoice... if not, you know the problem lies somewhere else.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #71
ikp460.
WHO DO VOODOO WE DO...?

Bike(s):
pHiDDy

Send a message via AIM to ikp460. Send a message via MSN to ikp460.
more tyhan likely the reader for the past several months was esimating the kw hours used and when the electric bill got changed over u got an actual reading and got shafted for the previous owners usage. we used to get calls at work from people all the time sayiong they just moved in and thier electric bill was 400 dollars and can seee why
ikp460. is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement