MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 PM   #41
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

The water company in Waco was charging my grandparents almost $300 / mo. for water for several years before they died. My parents got their last water bill after they died, and were like WTF?

I think they just hike up charges on folks sometimes and if they pay and keep paying, the Co. keeps charging.
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electricity costs Chubby Racer Off Topic 74 08-07-2009 03:51 PM
shopping for electricity. jrob Off Topic 5 02-25-2009 12:55 PM
Electricity Rates Ogre Off Topic 6 01-15-2009 03:43 AM
Electricity fast-n-furious Off Topic 108 07-22-2008 05:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 PM   #42
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
The water company in Waco was charging my grandparents almost $300 / mo. for water for several years before they died. My parents got their last water bill after they died, and were like WTF?

I think they just hike up charges on folks sometimes and if they pay and keep paying, the Co. keeps charging.
Are you serious? Do you honestly think a major corporation like Gexa would/could do that?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #43
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Waco Municipal was doing it
Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #44
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown
Waco Municipal was doing it
There was probably a misunderstanding/mistake/technical error/mechanical error... there is no way a Municipality can get away with that. If you're so adamant they are, why don't you and your parents take action against them and get reimbursed?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #45
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
There was probably a misunderstanding/mistake/technical error/mechanical error... there is no way a Municipality can get away with that. If you're so adamant they are, why don't you and your parents take action against them and get reimbursed?

Got reimbursed, for a pretty tidy sum.

They were doing it to other folks in town also. There was an article about it in the paper there in '02 a few people got canned because of it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #46
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

Also, I highly doubt you have electric heat... it's pretty rare. You most likely have gas heat which is not included in your electric bill.
we have an elec. heater. it sucks! electricity!!!!!

steve o, details on the OMR meters? cost? if it'll help keep a more accurate bill, i'm all for it.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 02-19-2007 at 11:02 PM.
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #47
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
we just got a bill for $550,that covers them not reading the meter for dec & jan. and estimating for feb.

basiclly my elec. is nearly $300 a mos.

in outside sales, that MPG is gonna killa ya.
yeah....that was a real killer cause at best it gets 19 mpg.........and i drive about 110~ miles per day
Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #48
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

in your job position, it's really a good idea to get a sensible veh. that gets good MPG.

or lease it. write it off.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #49
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Let me shed some light on this for you guys... I have 5 years in the energy industry. :icon_bigg

Paul, you mentioned you switched 'from Centerpoint.'

Well, you can't swtich from them... Centerpoint (CNP) is the TDSP (Transmission and Distribution Service Provider). They read the meters and report their readings to the REP (Retail Electric Providers: ie, Reliant, Gexa, TXU). No matter which REP you have, CNP is going to read the meters.

In the past few months CNP has been increasing the amount of estimated reads they have been generating. What that means is that they don't read the meters. They will base their estimates off of historical usage for that meter and some other variables. Many times they will unde-restimate the reads.

Let's say you actually USED 2000kwh during January, but CNP estimated your read at 1000kwh. They send that 1000kwh estimate to Gexa who would then send you a bill for 1000kwh right? Well, next month you used 2000kwh again, but this time CNP decides to come out and do an actual reading. But since your bill was under estimated, they will read your meter which will indicate that you used 3000kwh. Still with me? It's because they are essentially doing a 'catch up' read. This is more than likely why your bill is so high. If this is your first bill in your new place, I would get on the phone with Gexa right away. If the previous reads were under estimated then this catch up read could be inclusive of some usage that the previous tenants accumulated.

If you're totally confused, please feel free to PM me and I'll send you my number so we can talk about it...

Also, I highly doubt you have electric heat... it's pretty rare. You most likely have gas heat which is not included in your electric bill.

One last note, some people have OMR meters (you can get them installed for a small fee)... they are meters that are remotely read. The Meter Reader doesn't have to go up to your house. We generally recommend them for those individuals have access problems such as dogs, gates and other restrictions that would prevent the meter reader from gaining access to your meters.

Hope this helps guys and gals...

EDIT: one more thing to what witchdoctor said about bad meters. Meters virtually NEVER run fast... when they go bad, they always stop or slow down.

yes....this was my first bill with them. so i can see the catchup you were talking about.....
Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #50
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
in your job position, it's really a good idea to get a sensible veh. that gets good MPG.

or lease it. write it off.
civic hx coupe ftw......38 mpg...and its paid off.

but i still miss the s2k...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #51
Din

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR with CHROME PACKAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los
Well if you do decide to get the NSX you know who to get it from.... Team Ikon. :icon_bigg
i can get u a good deal on it.
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #52
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Last winter, my electricity bill doubled within one month when it got cold. I average $40 in summer and $90 in winter and it had jumped to $190. I live in an apartment so I actually went out to the meter, wrote down the number and checked it daily from then on. I found out that having the heater on uses the most electricity. Forget TV and stuff. I turned my heater down by 5 then 10 degrees (had to get used to it but finally kept it around 62-65F in the apt, brrr).

See if you can find your meter and start checking it daily. You'll see if you average 30 or 100 units per day. Go from there and see where you can save.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #53
MadseasoN

Quote:
Dennis, we live in a regulated part of TX... we have Entergy and have no choice of which REP we want. Entergy has very low rates. :icon_bigg My house is 2300sq/ft and my biggest electric bill has been around $175.
I have Reliant Energy. Is that the same company?
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #54
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
[QUOTE=Steve O Chap] In the past few months CNP has been increasing the amount of estimated reads they have been generating. What that means is that they don't read the meters. They will base their estimates off of historical usage for that meter and some other variables. Many times they will unde-restimate the reads. [QUOTE]

THAT IS SOME MAJOR BS!!!!!!
I pay overpriced energy costs to allow them to guesstimate what my bill should be? Totally !!! Is this typical in apartments where people move in and out all the time? How could you get an estimate? People have different lifestyles so it doesn't make sense to me?:eh:
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #55
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7

THAT IS SOME MAJOR BS!!!!!!
I pay overpriced energy costs to allow them to guesstimate what my bill should be? Totally !!! Is this typical in apartments where people move in and out all the time? How could you get an estimate? People have different lifestyles so it doesn't make sense to me?:eh:
I agree. If they're over-estimating on purpose then they are in effect 'borrowing' money from you (without interest).
Old 02-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #56
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

They may overestimate but it's generally only 1 month... rarely is it more than that. Therefore the next month they bill you accurately. So over the 2 month time frame you will be billed for your ACCURATE USAGE during those 2 months, however it won't be broken up the way you used it. You still get billed for the same amount of usage.... so they aren't cheating you any.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #57
MadseasoN

We signed up for balanced billing a few years ago. Personally I'd rather have a mediocre bill all year long rather than a high bill in summer and a low one in winter.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #58
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
They may overestimate but it's generally only 1 month... rarely is it more than that. Therefore the next month they bill you accurately. So over the 2 month time frame you will be billed for your ACCURATE USAGE during those 2 months, however it won't be broken up the way you used it. You still get billed for the same amount of usage.... so they aren't cheating you any.
yes, but just like Den said, they are essentially borrowing your money without paying you interest. For example, last month my bill came in at 380 some odd dollars (approximately double what it normally is). I called and asked for a re-read and they said 7-10 business days to receive a new statement. I told the lady that my payment would be late if I had to wait 10 days before they even sent me the bill. She asked me to send the misquoted amount and any money that was overbilled would be credited to my next months bill. I laughed at the b*tch and told her I would call and speak with her supervisor when the late fee showed up on my bill. F*ck fronting money to the electric companies, I have a hard enough time doing that for the government
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #59
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
yes, but just like Den said, they are essentially borrowing your money without paying you interest. For example, last month my bill came in at 380 some odd dollars (approximately double what it normally is). I called and asked for a re-read and they said 7-10 business days to receive a new statement. I told the lady that my payment would be late if I had to wait 10 days before they even sent me the bill. She asked me to send the misquoted amount and any money that was overbilled would be credited to my next months bill. I laughed at the b*tch and told her I would call and speak with her supervisor when the late fee showed up on my bill. F*ck fronting money to the electric companies, I have a hard enough time doing that for the government
That's not true... if they underestimate your bill, then you underpaid for electricity. The next month, you'll receive a catch up read which will 'true up' the amount owed for the usage you used.

If they overestimate it... you'll underpay the next month. You pay the same no matter what.

Unfortunately the energy company (REP) you have has NO CONTROL... we are bound by law to bill you for what the TDSP sends us. There is no use getting angry at the energy companies, though it is very natural to feel that way.

Who is your REP?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #60
MadseasoN

Quote:
That's not true... if they underestimate your bill, then you underpaid for electricity. The next month, you'll receive a catch up read which will 'true up' the amount owed for the usage you used.

If they overestimate it... you'll underpay the next month. You pay the same no matter what.

Unfortunately the energy company (REP) you have has NO CONTROL... we are bound by law to bill you for what the TDSP sends us. There is no use getting angry at the energy companies, though it is very natural to feel that way.

Who is your REP?
DBuck - That's why we do balanced billing. No need to worry about this. They reconcile your account like every 6 months. That's when your payment may change. Mine's been at $120/month for a couple years now.

Advertisement