Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Poptarts
Ducking and Weaving

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R

My brother just got out of the hospital

So i just got home from my paintball practice up here at Tx tech and i get a phone call from my brother. The first thing he says, "Well i just got out of the hospital." Obviously i asked what happened.

Turns out that, he was riding his gsxr today on i-10 i believe cruising along with traffic when for some reason the lady in front of him slams on her brakes. (I dont know how close he was to her or how fast they were goin but if i had to guess id say 75-80) He tries to stop but locked up both tires and slid into the back of her car. This launched him off the bike, over the handlebars and flying through the air. He said he flipped at least once and landed on her hood hood feet first. Then slid off the hood and continued to slide for another 50-60ft on the concrete.

He was wearing my old Shoei RF-1000 that i gave him after i sold my bike and he said thats what saved his life. He was wearing leather gloves, a mesh jacket, and jeans. He said he got bad road rash on his back and arms, a little road rash on his legs and two broken ribs. The bike is completely totalled from back to front to the point that it just looked like a piece of scrap is what he said.

I told him that he is very lucky to be alive based on what happened cuz the only other two accidents ive seen like that, the rider died on impact due to the force on their back.

This is where my descision comes in and i would like some input. I have just recently gotten enough money to buy another bike since i sold my k6 gsxr. My mom said to him, "Two boys, two bikes, two accidents, and two sons that are lucky to be alive. No more motorcycles." I don't want to disappoint my mom by buying another bike, but at the same time i have wanted ride again every single day since i sold the gsxr 4 months ago. What do ya'll think?

thank you for reading and hopefully taking something helpful from this story.
Poptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good big brother/Evil big brother: You decide Coolhandsluke General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-18-2014 04:00 AM
Help a Brother out psychomedicHFD Off Topic 11 06-27-2013 05:52 PM
my brother went down : ( hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 10-26-2011 02:40 AM
Dying man calls brother... the brother then calls... elephant head Off Topic 2 03-03-2009 10:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

get a stunt bike and keep it in the parking lot.. its safer. *shrugs shoulders* thats all i can think of.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

Glad your bro is ok man!

He got very lucky!

I dont know what to tell you about getting another bike man. It would be a hard choice to make in your shoes.
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton9698
get a stunt bike and keep it in the parking lot.. its safer. *shrugs shoulders* thats all i can think of.
Clayton may be on to somethin there.....

or get a bike, and just ride the track? :dontknow:

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
well if your a man, you gotta do what your heart tells you, if your a momma's boy you gotta do what mom tells you.

(not tryin to be an but its just how it is) those might be the same thing, they might not. no one else can tell you that.

your moms has a good point, and moms are always going to be like that.

in the end you have to make up your own mind, and all i can say about it, is think carefully and dont make a decision you will regret one way or the other.

p.s. glad your bro is ok
Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Will it mess up your relationship with your mom or not? Would it be worth it to you?
Glad motorcycling runs in my family
Glad you bro made it out ok figuratively speaking. Does he post here?
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Poptarts
Ducking and Weaving

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
Will it mess up your relationship with your mom or not? Would it be worth it to you?
Glad motorcycling runs in my family
Glad you bro made it out ok figuratively speaking. Does he post here?
not that i know of. hes not the kind of guy that posts on forums.

updated story information: He was in fact riding on i-10 doing about 70. When the lady slammed on her brakes he swerved and hit the car next to him, he didnt lock up his brakes (i had originally guessed thats what happened).

My mom basically kicked me out of the house the last time she came home and there was a bike sitting in the driveway, and after these accidents i honestly don't know how she'd take it if i got another one. Im not a mommas boy, but i do respect her. Im 20 and chances are i wouldnt want to spoil any help she might give me for school. I'll have to think about it alot more now than i did before.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

if you still living at home, save the bike for when your on your own. :-)
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
well in that case, if i were in your shoes...

i think i would buy a lancer or some other ricer with good power to weight, and save getting a bike till i was on my own...
Old 02-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:

Clayton I don't know you but, I saw the pics of your face the other day. Blood everywhere and teeth jacked up. Maybe them fiddies in the parkin lot aint so safe after all.

As far as if you should get another bike. I agree with the others, you gotta live your life and follow your heart, but...
When I was at home, my folks said no bikes. So when I could afford a place THEN I got one. They were'nt happy but it worked out.
I'm almost 50 now and my mom still doesn't like me havin a scoot.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Poptarts
Ducking and Weaving

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R

well i mean the thing is, im practically living on my own. i pay my own rent, car note, cell phone bill etc. I really only live at home over the summer but even then now i pay for an appartment im thinking about just staying up here at school and working.

like i said, i have alot of thinking to do and i prolly wont know for sure whether i get another one for a few more weeks. I look at the helmet and jacket of my first wreck everyday when i wake up and remember the i went through with that and i just dont know if i could do it all again now that this has happened to my brother. im just glad hes alive and not paralyzed.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #12
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
i was pretty close to selling my bike, because a close friend wrecked his but until i heard the saying "just because my friend slipped in the shower broke his neck and died, doesn't mean i'm gonna stop taking a shower" well, you know what i mean.
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:51 PM   #13
Htown1000
Bleed the Block

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Red and Black Gixxer 1000

dude dont get it... it doesnt seem like you are totally out from under your mom... All mom's dont want us to get hurt on our bikes and probably would rather us do things less dangerous.. If your mom will trip out dont do it until you are out of school or something. just my .02
Old 02-19-2007, 01:06 AM   #14
DrunkMagnet
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000, 2005 Ninja 636 ( TRACK )

Send a message via AIM to DrunkMagnet
User is banned

DrunkMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:07 AM   #15
Vandals
Scooter

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

Im gunna end up getting one so i can get kicked out! lol
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #16
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptarts
So i just got home from my paintball practice up here at Tx tech and i get a phone call from my brother. The first thing he says, "Well i just got out of the hospital." Obviously i asked what happened.

Turns out that, he was riding his gsxr today on i-10 i believe cruising along with traffic when for some reason the lady in front of him slams on her brakes. (I dont know how close he was to her or how fast they were goin but if i had to guess id say 75-80) He tries to stop but locked up both tires and slid into the back of her car. This launched him off the bike, over the handlebars and flying through the air. He said he flipped at least once and landed on her hood hood feet first. Then slid off the hood and continued to slide for another 50-60ft on the concrete.

He was wearing my old Shoei RF-1000 that i gave him after i sold my bike and he said thats what saved his life. He was wearing leather gloves, a mesh jacket, and jeans. He said he got bad road rash on his back and arms, a little road rash on his legs and two broken ribs. The bike is completely totalled from back to front to the point that it just looked like a piece of scrap is what he said.

I told him that he is very lucky to be alive based on what happened cuz the only other two accidents ive seen like that, the rider died on impact due to the force on their back.

This is where my descision comes in and i would like some input. I have just recently gotten enough money to buy another bike since i sold my k6 gsxr. My mom said to him, "Two boys, two bikes, two accidents, and two sons that are lucky to be alive. No more motorcycles." I don't want to disappoint my mom by buying another bike, but at the same time i have wanted ride again every single day since i sold the gsxr 4 months ago. What do ya'll think?

thank you for reading and hopefully taking something helpful from this story.
buy a small bike and play. I have a ton of fun on the small bikes

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #17
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
get a track bike and keep it in the track.. its safer. *shrugs shoulders* thats all i can think of.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
aznhero913
J.D.

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 CBR600rr
2005 R6 (bye baby)
1992 Yamaha Seca (1st one)

stay on track or stay of the highways. My parents have a house in galveston so thats where i leave the bike and thats where i ride it. I've been on I-45 prolly bout 6 times in 8 months on my bike. I know as motorcyclist we believe that people should keep their eyes open, but yesterday this idiot with a gixxer came outta no where doing 90 just made me think how volnerable we are.
aznhero913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
mammothmc

At 20, you're the dangerous part & the bike is just the tool.

When you older, wiser, & a better rider.......you'll realize that maybe 5% of the bike wrecks out there couldn't have been avoided. As for the rest, they are the riders fault either for having the wreck or for not avoiding it.

When you don't ride like an idiot & you're alert enough to know that you might be forced to compensate for other shitheads lack of driving ability at any given time, you might just be ok.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #20
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptarts
My mom basically kicked me out of the house the last time she came home and there was a bike sitting in the driveway, and after these accidents i honestly don't know how she'd take it if i got another one. Im not a mommas boy, but i do respect her. Im 20 and chances are i wouldnt want to spoil any help she might give me for school. I'll have to think about it alot more now than i did before.
Hey man, everyone has to make up their own mind... my parents didn't like me getting a bike, but I was 20 years old and could make my own decisions.

That being said, I think the statement I highlighted is a pretty one you made... But then again... that's just me.

Advertisement