MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #21
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Yeah, nothing like getting to KNOW your engine.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choke Cable Help zombiejesus How To's and Q & A's 13 07-27-2009 04:16 PM
FI bikes with a choke? bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-27-2009 02:34 PM
f4i choke problem epofhouston How To's and Q & A's 6 03-12-2009 01:13 PM
choke on? blends How To's and Q & A's 12 12-13-2008 01:21 PM
Homemade Wheel Choke?!?! dbuck How To's and Q & A's 35 05-20-2007 03:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
DGShannon
Darrell

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Honda CB1100
1983 Montesa Cota 349
1970 Honda SL100
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke (Sold)
1997 Buell Cyclone (Sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
even though engine load is low, the oil pressure is low, so lubrication with the cold and viscous oil is not good. Plus the engine bearings are all designed to work under load.
Engine bearings are "designed to work under load", but the success of that design incorporates the need for the critical lubricant that you just said was too "cold and viscous" when the engine was not yet warmed up.

My understanding is that minimum RPM and minimum load are both critical. The term "operating temperature" is relative to both mechanical engine clearances and the fluids necessary to lubricate them.

My KTM gauge cluster includes a temperature indicator, and the manual defines a minimum reading that you wait for, prior to riding. That reading is roughly half of what it reads at full operating temperature (no clue as to whether it is a linear scale). At idle, warm up takes about 3 to 4 minutes to come up to that minimum.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShannon View Post
Engine bearings are "designed to work under load", but the success of that design incorporates the need for the critical lubricant that you just said was too "cold and viscous" when the engine was not yet warmed up.

My understanding is that minimum RPM and minimum load are both critical. The term "operating temperature" is relative to both mechanical engine clearances and the fluids necessary to lubricate them.

My KTM gauge cluster includes a temperature indicator, and the manual defines a minimum reading that you wait for, prior to riding. That reading is roughly half of what it reads at full operating temperature (no clue as to whether it is a linear scale). At idle, warm up takes about 3 to 4 minutes to come up to that minimum.
Most engine crank journals and cam bearings are plain bearing in design and work by thin-film lubrication between the mating surfaces from oil ports and galleys under pressure. They work the best when there is some engine load (not idling) and normal oil pressure (when engine is operating normally and not idling). Especially when the oil is cold and viscous, it takes more pressure to pump and circulate that oil. The higher viscosity at lower temps could mean that the pressure loss between the oil pump and where the oil exits the journal ports are such that little pressure is left. Some engines compensate for this by elevating idle RPM when cold, which boosts the oil pressure.

You will probably not do much harm to the engine if you just let it idle warm up. IMHO it is not best practice and plain waste fuel when it is not necessary to do so.

Now drivability is a different deal. Most FI bikes are better about this when cold, but some still puff and coughs the first mile of so. Some carbed bikes are a lot worse about this, particularly the ones that are leaned out too much for EPA reasons. A stage 1 jet kit sometimes fixs it up nicely.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #24
acjei
aka A.C. Jizzle

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati 848 Evo
04 R6-sold
01 Zx6r-sold

fuel injection...ftw...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #25
Lucar

Member Garage

3289998 o
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #26
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
lmao
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
white_335i

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R

My normal routine with my RD's is, start the bike with choke on, run it for few seconds, then choke off. If the bike idles fine, I then let it idle for few seconds and then start riding with low rpms for couple minutes until the 2T oil is circulated well and then take off.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #28
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

And the answer is... every bike is different. Even two of the same exact bike can each have their quirks sometimes. Plus, there's differences for elevation and temperature.

My GSX-F could be started with no choke, so long as the temp outside was a good 65*f or so. In all, I'd usually give it no more than a minute before riding off. It'd be a little rough for the first bit but over all did better if I didn't let her idle too long. I might give it just shy of two minutes (choke on) if the weather was really cold, and drop the choke to about 10-20% until a mile or two.

Advertisement