MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #81
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
It isn't smart to do it like this.
we are open to suggestions
S1000rr vs ZX10R super thrash....(vids) ZXALAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 05-28-2014 10:14 PM
K9 vs S1000RR sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-21-2012 11:20 PM
S1000RR Stunt Joshua42007 Stunters Lounge 14 03-27-2012 10:58 PM
s1000rr's Father morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 04-29-2011 06:50 PM
S1000RR on Ice Bluestreak06 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-20-2010 10:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #82
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It's way too public IMO. We have done this several times in the past. Spectators must be limited and talk must be kept to a minimum unless its pm. It's not smart at all to list names. If something goes wrong its too easy to track those who were involved. These days they would seek charges for anyone they think was involved
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #83
stevenuhh
SE Asian #2

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
08 Ninja 250r Sold
2011 zx10r abs

stevenuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #84
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I have been there before. From June of 2008...

While I claimed to be a noob, I'd already done over 20 track days been an high performance driving instructor and led and or participated on many, many rides.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=57148

I've been on a few group rides over the past six months and while admittedly I'm still a noob, I've observed some great things happening each and every time I go out. Prior to the start of the ride, I've listened to group ride leaders talk through the rules and expectations for the ride. Each ride leader seems to have their own mental check list of the things they review; it varies from leader to leader and sometimes from ride to ride. I've found these rules to be so valuable that I decided to write them down in hopes that we can better and more consistently set expectations and rules both when rides are organized and at the beginning of each ride.

It would be tremendously valuable to have forum members review this list and add, subtract or clarify these rules based on their personal experience. If you have the time, please take a look. We can all benefit from each others experience and wisdom. I will consolidate and redistribute the edits and recommendations.

Group Ride Rules and Expectations

1. Each rider must have helmet, jacket, gloves. Boots are highly recommended. Riders without the appropriate gear will be asked to ride on their own.

2. Everybody must ride within their own limits. If you get scared, nervous, or anxious while riding, you are going too fast and you are a hazard to yourself as well as those around you. Slow down before you go down or hurt a fellow rider.

3. Group rides are not a motorcycle rider training tool. Each rider is personally responsible for their own actions.

4. Throughout the ride, there is no passing on the right nor is passing permitted in turns.

5. Riders will ride in staggered formation on highways & main streets and single file in the back country and around curves & bends.

6. In the backcountry as well as curves and bends, riders will open gaps to at least 2 seconds to the motorcycle in front of them.

7. Running wide or out of your lane is a safety hazard for you and the riders around you. This is a clear indication that you are riding beyond your capabilities. Slow down before you go down or hurt a fellow rider.

8. Dragging pegs, exhaust, or any other portion of the bike is a safety issue for you and those around you. Donít do it.

9. Every ride will have at least one designated leader and designated sweeper. Sweepers have responsibility to ensure all riders stay together and remain accounted for throughout the ride.

10. Leaders will commonly display hand signals throughout the ride. They may include standard hand signals for left and right hand turns, per DOT regulations; a raised fist for "stop"; a hand extended down or patting down for "slow down"; tapping the top of your helmet for a police car sighting; and pointing with hand or foot at dangerous rode debris.

11. It is customary to repeat hand signals you see in order to pass information to the riders behind you.

12. While stunting and wheelies are strongly discouraged due to your safety and the safety of your fellow riders, if you must, all stunts are to be performed exclusively in the leftmost lane on multilane roads or oncoming traffic lane on two lane roads.

13. All rides will have a "no man left behind" policy, meaning the group will never leave a rider behind or stranded. The designated sweeper will confirm that all riders are accounted for with the leader at each stop.

14. Riders who are new to their bike, have less than 6 months sport bike riding experience, or are new to the route will be ask to ride together as the UAC (Up and Coming) group. The UAC group will be assigned an experienced leader and sweeper.

15. It is not unusual for a large group ride to have at least one bike related incident. Ensure that incident does not involve you.

16. Riding two up is discouraged.

17. Riders will top off their gas tanks before kick-stands-up. The group will not stop for gas stations except for the designated rest stop areas.

18. Riders will check tire pressures and tire condition before they get to the meeting place. If you need tire pressure advice, ask beforehand.

19. And, again, a reminder: everybody must ride within their own limits. If you get scared, nervous, or anxious while riding, you are going too fast and you are a hazard to yourself as well as those around you. Slow down before you go down or hurt a fellow rider.

Please post your additions, edits, and recommendations. Thanks!
Seriously,
WTF?
A roll on test of a couple of gears on the top 2 Litre bike contenders in inherently safer than most of the people pull on any ride I have seen. I am certain that undercover noob or experienced rider that you are, you have done pulls in your lower 3 gears on more than one occasion since you too ride a big bore bike.
Start another safety specific thread and wail away on the virtues of going 45mph wrapped in a rubber cocoon so as not to get a boo boo.
We are all adults and know the penalties for ups which we all understand.

I applaud Frank for putting together a fun day just to experiement with these bikes. We all read bike mags but real world experience with some people we know in Mexico with famailiar faces and documented for posterity sounds awesome.
I am certain the Quick Shifter boyz will leave me for dead. I cannot beat a computers reaction time but I will give it and have fun doing it.
Never was there a mention of top speed nail the rev limiter cut out at 186mph testing. This was roll on testing for quick. If we can not do that without killing ourselves and being preached to then we have no business conducting moderate rides or ever piloting a sportbike.

Lastly, If I happen to die while doing roll ons, it was fate and destiny and I cannot control that. Just make certain that my body gets ashed and everyone drinks Shiner Beer at my memorial service.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #85
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
It's way too public IMO. We have done this several times in the past. Spectators must be limited and talk must be kept to a minimum unless its pm. It's not smart at all to list names. If something goes wrong its too easy to track those who were involved. These days they would seek charges for anyone they think was involved
The essential part of this event is not public, so far people know what's going to happen but they have no idea when and where, which is why there is a list of spectators who will be informed via PMs only as we get closer to the date of this event. Like mentioned before, we have done this in the past with a crowd of 60+ riders. As far as charges goes.... they will need to get some evidence first otherwise the case will be thrown out of court due to technicality issues.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #86
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

My point exactly. If caught, lets not give them a thread full of evidence.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #87
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The road was blocked off last time and all riders were run by the cops. No arrests and only one or 2 tickets resulted if I remember right
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #88
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Good lawd,
we are way more likely to get caught hauling down the freeway.
If caught, I will take my medicine as a willing participant and never rat anyone else out. Again, this stuff is pretty mundane compared to most shenanigans witnissed on most posted rides.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #89
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
+1 all they have is an event flyer that is supposed to take place at a later time, without a place and time they have no evidence at all, it could be tomorrow or next year as far as they are concerned
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #90
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
The road was blocked off last time and all riders were run by the cops. No arrests and only one or 2 tickets resulted if I remember right
when was that?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #91
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
Good lawd,
we are way more likely to get caught hauling down the freeway.
If caught, I will take my medicine as a willing participant and never rat anyone else out. Again, this stuff is pretty mundane compared to most shenanigans witnissed on most posted rides.
+111111111 got pulled over for cruising at 80 mph a month ago, i was so glad he didnt clock us doing mph just a few minutes earlier
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #92
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Last time we were caught our biggest fear was the chance they could find our thread. It's not a far fetched concern. That all I'm sayi g and I'm saying it from experience. Don't like it or believe it, fine.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #93
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Why not go to royal purple raceway one weekend and do this. It will be more accurate, not bashing on what you are doing since i have my own bad habits and past
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #94
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Last time we were caught our biggest fear was the chance they could find our thread. It's not a far fetched concern. That all I'm sayi g and I'm saying it from experience. Don't like it or believe it, fine.
oh i have no reason not to believe you and that's why there is no place/time info anywhere in this thread

f.e. you can call DEA and tell them that drug smugglers are about to cross a large shipment of cocain but without a place and time they will not even give you the time of the day....... as a matter of fact, the DEA already knows that the drug smuggling "event" will likely to happen everyday, it is their inability to know the time and place that keeps them from winning this war on drugs.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #95
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5.0 View Post
Why not go to royal purple raceway one weekend and do this. It will be more accurate, not bashing on what you are doing since i have my own bad habits and past
because it is much simpler to get it done in Mexico and because we are not concerned about timing which means accuracy is not an factor, if a bike pulls ahead we will be able to see it without any type of timer.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #96
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It's more like a bust was made then they go to a drug forum and connect all of the dots to prosecute.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #97
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
In a controlled environment, with as many factors accounted for as possible, with traffic being monitored... This is far safer than hitting the I45 at 2pm on any given weekday. Sure, happens, but all the naysayers I've seen on this thread are bemoaning the "possibility" of harm. If potential injury is such a deterrent, why ride a sportbike to begin with? I acknowledge that testing a bike encompasses different unknown variables than cruising a few mph over the posted limit, but both are inherently risky and steps are taken in both cases to avoid serious injury.

I'm going to rant a little here: I work in the petrochemical industry where they have rules like "wear your hardhat at all times when working at a terminal." So, on top of a shore tank (approx 50ft up a ladder), I have to wear a hardhat? Up there, anything that will cause enough damage to require a hardhat is going to kill me regardless of whether I'm wearing it, or not.

My point is that you can't account for all factors in every situation, every day, every time you want to do something, but you can take necessary precautions to prevent excessive injury and sometimes that's the best there is. Getting on a message board to tell people when and how they should have their fun based on your own perspective is close-minded and arrogant. If I go out in a sleek, black, flying Ninja blaze of glory, it will be because I took known risks and subjected myself to something better than Xbox and whiskey... and it had better be on film.
ArmyApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #98
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

It's not a out the possibilities of injury. I'm making the point that in the even the cops are involved the chain of evidence should be reduced. Been to Mexico many times myself. I'm not preaching safety. I'm preaching coverage.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #99
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

As someones name says. Safety Third. What are the first two?
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #100
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
because it is much simpler to get it done in Mexico and because we are not concerned about timing which means accuracy is not an factor, if a bike pulls ahead we will be able to see it without any type of timer.
What if someone takes of earlier. Seconds count in this type of thing

Advertisement