MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #41
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

+1 for "The Pace".

Just went on 500 mile round trip to Llano with a riding buddy of mine yesterday. We took the back roads and had our fill of riding The Pace. On some of the winding stretches of 2981, 153 and 150, except on the tighter turns, we were doing 70-100mph. Brake lights rarely flashed. Lead bike pick the line and set the pace, trailing bike follow and kept it tight.

The kicker? He rode a VTX1800T and I'm on my C14. No ego, nothing to prove. just a couple of guys that rode purely for the sport, and toured when there ain't no need to tour. We didn't ride fast; we rode at the pace the road beckons.

Done right, chasing can be just as fun as leading. No offense, but I find my sport touring buddies appreciate this far more than the sportbike guys.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C How Big Of Group Can We Get?? St. Arnolds Discussion NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 72 01-12-2013 04:20 PM
Stir the pot Friday: Another Street Riding BP Discussion Blanco General Discussion (Moto Related) 141 12-23-2012 03:42 PM
Group riding last night?? Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-31-2009 12:50 PM
Riding in Costumes Discussion Mala Lingua Off Topic 30 10-30-2008 02:23 PM
question about group riding 05cert Events, Meets and Rides 34 07-28-2007 01:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
SupaHawk

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 CBR1000RR SP
'08 zx6(sold)
01 750gixxer(sold)
08 CBR1000RR
06 Honda CBR1000RR

i prefer to stay in the back of the fast group .... and I'd rather someone else lead.. still learning the country roads. And since i started doing the SMRs and like.. its what i look forward to EVERY weekend... now to do a hill country trip
SupaHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #43
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
+1 for "The Pace".

Just went on 500 mile round trip to Llano with a riding buddy of mine yesterday. We took the back roads and had our fill of riding The Pace. On some of the winding stretches of 2981, 153 and 150, except on the tighter turns, we were doing 70-100mph. Brake lights rarely flashed. Lead bike pick the line and set the pace, trailing bike follow and kept it tight.

The kicker? He rode a VTX1800T and I'm on my C14. No ego, nothing to prove. just a couple of guys that rode purely for the sport, and toured when there ain't no need to tour. We didn't ride fast; we rode at the pace the road beckons.

Done right, chasing can be just as fun as leading. No offense, but I find my sport touring buddies appreciate this far more than the sportbike guys.
I truly believe that about the Sport Touring guys. Most of them are old farts like us..buut they grew up and got a "thinking mans" bike.
I was going to clarify my statement to Sunday_Rider but Ill try to do it here.
I mean a group of us ride "The Pace" whether that is 80 or 90mph but do not tap the brakes. I am just as guilty (guilty pleasure) of ripping in the fast group and when the curves come...speed up! Im gonna continue being guilty but I would also like the technical challenge of riding "The Pace" as written in the article.

I wanna do a "Pace" ride like you are describing where the emphasis is on the challenge of maintaining the (semi) established ride pace. Little to no brakes but skill and finesse to stay in the "ballet".
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #44
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
I either jump ahead.. because I'm more comfortable following someone I am familiar with or someone I know has a good line (for me) to follow.

I tend to fall back a bit because I don't like his line or never ridden with him/her before.
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #45
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Sunday,

I have avoided group riding. Part of it is past experience dealing with testosterone in buckets and young men, part of it is I enjoy riding solo: riding my own ride, at my own pace, nothing to prove. Being an introvert by nature, riding is one of my breaks from my family, coworkers, and the noise of life in general. When on a bike, I focus with Zen, and don't have to be social. So, there you go.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #46
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Someone is always faster; and that someone is not going to be me. I like doing group rides and hanging out with other guys and shooting the . I usually sweep and this allows me to ride at my own pace and allow more experienced riders to let their bikes rip! I think it's very important to know your machine well and since I never keep a bike longer than 6 months I never get totally comfortable with my machine.
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #47
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Blanco, it is a dance of sorts. Like international ballroom dancing, the leader and follower lock step and make the whole affair fluidic and a joy to watch. Likewise, following in a "the Pace" group requires no less concentration and skill than leading. You must "read" the bike(s) ahead and anticipate their moves to keep from "bungeeing" up the group, as the effect quickly multiplies towards the tail end of the pack. Even for an experience group used to riding with each other, it is difficult to keep tight more than 4-5 riders. Different style bikes with different engine braking and power characteristics complicates the read. Sprinkle even a tiny bit of hormones, inexperience, and impatience in the group, and the whole thing turns to shiite in a hurry.

With all due respect to those who like to GLH (Go Like ) on the open road, riding at or near the limits of your ability on the street is disaster waiting to happen. That's what the track is for.

I do enjoy meeting up for the occasional SMR, but I ride it mostly like a fast parade.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #48
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Luckily I have neither nor ego. I typically play mother hen. If there is even one rider who is slower or more inexperienced, I tend to ride behind them or at their speed to make sure they're okay and enjoying their ride. I have been on too many rides where new riders have wrecked and there's nothing fun about that.

Just call me Mom. Or you can call me Gramma B.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #49
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Riding the "Pace" takes a group with good skills and no egos. Every Johnny Racer wants to pin it down the straights and then be a road block on the next turn.

The Pace requires you to be able to pick the right speed for the road and make the turns without brakes or speeding up too much coming out. Lots of maintenance throttle. The straights are for relaxing and letting the group close back up.

The fun of group riding comes from riding "as a group". Once you get a bunch of streakers running off and hiding, and slower peeps left to try and catch up, you end up with no fun and usually someone in a ditch.

Pick your group with care, and don't let your ego do the choosing for you.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #50
gots2no
Steve

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

I like the back for selfish reasons. Let the leaders flush out the po po. Also if I see everyone make it through a turn safely, I have more confidence that there isn't gravel, oil, or suspiciously deceased fowl in the turn.

Speaking of the po po. Had a Manvel PD leave his radar trap in the middle of Hwy 6, make a u turn, and tail me for about a mile before he gave up at 288 and made a u ey.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #51
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Riding the "Pace" takes a group with good skills and no egos. Every Johnny Racer wants to pin it down the straights and then be a road block on the next turn.

The Pace requires you to be able to pick the right speed for the road and make the turns without brakes or speeding up too much coming out. Lots of maintenance throttle. The straights are for relaxing and letting the group close back up.

The fun of group riding comes from riding "as a group". Once you get a bunch of streakers running off and hiding, and slower peeps left to try and catch up, you end up with no fun and usually someone in a ditch.

This is exactly why I think riding with you is possibly the best experience! I'm finally feeling better and can't wait until next year when I'm hoping to feel normal enough to ride with you again!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #52
Pegasus
Banned

User is banned

Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #53
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post

I know enough of the good riders around here to conjure up a true "The Pace" ride. I think it will be fun and challenging if everyone agrees to the program ahead of time. All of us have seen each other at stupid speeds and we have the skills. I want to see how one of these rides goes...it definitely sounds fun!

Im gonna sign up a few right now:

"The Pace" ride sign up (not real..kinda fantasy football style but these would get er done)! I think anyone who has ridden with these guys (except me LOL) would agree!

1: Blanco
2 Craig RR
3. Jimrad
4. Queenmoka
5. Lucar
6. Bevo
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #54
Pegasus
Banned

User is banned

Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #55
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
you missed the Hitman my friend..

Not a miss perse.
I wa sjust throwing up six names. His could definitely fill any one of those six slots. I was just thinking about the size of six more than the names.

We need to do that ride soon. It will be fun trying to stay on pace with no brakes!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #56
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
i just ride my pace. if its at the front cool if im one or two back thats cool too.

besides if there is something in the road i do not want to be the first to hit it
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #57
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterchild2 View Post
...I think it's very important to know your machine well and since I never keep a bike longer than 6 months I never get totally comfortable with my machine.
6 months?! That's an eternity for some of us!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #58
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
6 months?! That's an eternity for some of us!
I really need to keep a bike for a year, although I did pick up a Ducati today. I still have the RC8; but now I have another bike to only keep for 6 months.
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #59
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by supawk View Post
i prefer to stay in the back of the fast group .... and I'd rather someone else lead.. still learning the country roads. And since i started doing the SMRs and like.. its what i look forward to EVERY weekend... now to do a hill country trip
Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #60
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
I truly believe that about the Sport Touring guys. Most of them are old farts like us..buut they grew up and got a "thinking mans" bike.
I was going to clarify my statement to Sunday_Rider but Ill try to do it here.
I mean a group of us ride "The Pace" whether that is 80 or 90mph but do not tap the brakes. I am just as guilty (guilty pleasure) of ripping in the fast group and when the curves come...speed up! Im gonna continue being guilty but I would also like the technical challenge of riding "The Pace" as written in the article.

I wanna do a "Pace" ride like you are describing where the emphasis is on the challenge of maintaining the (semi) established ride pace. Little to no brakes but skill and finesse to stay in the "ballet".
You should join our SMR, the guys in the front never touch the brakes at all

Advertisement