MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Question Group Riding Discussion

I have been on many rides involving large and small groups in the past 5 years and i have noticed that some riders either loves jumping to the front of the pack or can't seem to handle staying behind someone. I would like to know your opinion on this because from my own experience i dont really care who leads the ride or who rides in front of me specially when we are just cruising through some farm roads or highways, in fact most of the times you will find me in the back of the group as a sweeper. I see this all the times, and it is usually the less experienced riders that tend to do this The only time that i would make a pass is whenever someone holds me up at RR but other than that i am pretty much cool with staying in position during the whole ride.
C How Big Of Group Can We Get?? St. Arnolds Discussion NewRider Events, Meets and Rides 72 01-12-2013 04:20 PM
Stir the pot Friday: Another Street Riding BP Discussion Blanco General Discussion (Moto Related) 141 12-23-2012 03:42 PM
Group riding last night?? Zapata General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-31-2009 12:50 PM
Riding in Costumes Discussion Mala Lingua Off Topic 30 10-30-2008 02:23 PM
question about group riding 05cert Events, Meets and Rides 34 07-28-2007 01:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
The Hulk
Smash

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 ZX10R

Member Garage

Most people want to feel like they have the fastest bike, maybe it's just a natural thing... Idk
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Mostly its because they feel they can go faster. For the less experience it's just ego and having the feeling they need to keep up with the faster folks since they don't want to be labeled slow. Masculinity, I guess. PITA to type with one hand...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hulk View Post
Most people want to feel like they have the fastest bike, maybe it's just a natural thing... Idk
hahahaha yeah probably, but they dont realize that they would also need the fastest rider on it to make it the fastest bike.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Mostly its because they feel they can go faster. For the less experience it's just ego and having the feeling they need to keep up with the faster folks since they don't want to be labeled slow. Masculinity, I guess. PITA to type with one hand...
Judging from both posts, the first reason is because they believe they have the fastest bike so they should be in the front of the group. Secondly, ego plays a major role for inexperienced riders, and last.... they dont want to be labeled as a slow rider.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
The Hulk
Smash

Bike(s):
04 ZX10R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Judging from both posts, the first reason is because they believe they have the fastest bike so they should be in the front of the group. Secondly, ego plays a major role for inexperienced riders, and last.... they dont want to be labeled as a slow rider.
Sounds about right to me
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
inexperience. and ego.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
I have been on many rides involving large and small groups in the past 5 years and i have noticed that some riders either loves jumping to the front of the pack or can't seem to handle staying behind someone. I would like to know your opinion on this because from my own experience i dont really care who leads the ride or who rides in front of me specially when we are just cruising through some farm roads or highways, in fact most of the times you will find me in the back of the group as a sweeper. I see this all the times, and it is usually the less experienced riders that tend to do this The only time that i would make a pass is whenever someone holds me up at RR but other than that i am pretty much cool with staying in position during the whole ride.
that would be about 95% of anyone in front of you buddy.
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6R View Post
that would be about 95% of anyone in front of you buddy.
hahaha, good to see you posting again, what happened to you last Sunday? we waited for you at La Mad but you didnt show up
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 1

i prefer stay behind the fast riders

<---slow and equipped with tiny

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Eric6R

Experience: 4-8 months

didnt wake up in time. im hoping to get a bike again around march/april. I miss the riding a lot.
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Im sure its because it gets monotonous being in one position in the group the whole time.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
i prefer stay behind the fast riders

<---slow and equipped with tiny
what are you talking about? you are pretty fast
Old 12-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric6R View Post
didnt wake up in time. im hoping to get a bike again around march/april. I miss the riding a lot.
have you seen the new zx6? or the cbr? both are super nice
Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #15
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAX View Post
Im sure its because it gets monotonous being in one position in the group the whole time.
well that could be another factor but i have been sweeper for most of the rides that i post and i am cool with that, it is only when we get to the faster part of the ride that i feel like passing slower riders.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Trish

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

One major factor for me is on large group rides, I have gotten stuck behind people that were not someone I wanted to follow. This can (and has) include bad lines, trying to make up speed in the straights from falling behind in the corners, or just generally riding in an unsafe manor. I'll just pass these people because I do not want to get caught up in their mistakes. I actually don't like large group rides for the reasons above.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I like the very front or the very back. Its not a speed factor for me. I dont want to be in the middle where you have a greater chance of getting hit and have less room to maneuver. I avoid group rides most of the time. Seems like someone is always eating . Not the I want to see or be involved in.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish View Post
One major factor for me is on large group rides, I have gotten stuck behind people that were not someone I wanted to follow. This can (and has) include bad lines, trying to make up speed in the straights from falling behind in the corners, or just generally riding in an unsafe manor. I'll just pass these people because I do not want to get caught up in their mistakes. I actually don't like large group rides for the reasons above.
good way to look at it
Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

With our SDRC group I usually lead because I know the route. If Bevo is riding I wave him on at the tight sections because he is a better rider and fun to follow. If Gary is riding with us I prefer if he leads because that's where he feels comfortable. If I am doing a slower pace ride I let anyone pass tha wants to go faster. So in my case I don't care who leads really. I am ok even behind slower riders. I just increase the gap so I can speed up in corners and take it easy on the straights. If I was riding with hugo and Texlurch I let them stay in front because they know each others riding style. If I ride with a group I have never been with I will stay behind and observe how the group functions.

When I say let them. I mean prefer. Or I wave them
My priority on any ride is to come home safe with my group. Not to show everyone I am some badass
Old 12-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

I'm like you Frank....like to be the sweeper...keeps me in check too, and I get to learn more watching everyone else... It can be ego sure..thats obvious...

but I the main reason I personally like to be up front on faster rides, is because the person, say it be you Frank, Jimmy, Gary, Bevo, or even Jimrad is because they know the lines, and the less experience along the pack don't always give the right signals, warning, predictability..etc..etc....

even leaders that post slower paced rides like I rather sweep than lead...its just someone has to step up...if they know the way and won't get us lost let them lead...Its good to experience it up front, and sweeping because they require different riding styles. IMO
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement