Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Do you believe in ?
Yes, I believe that there is a 41 78.85%
No, I believe that was made up by humans 8 15.38%
I am 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #81
cp6rider
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 69












This poll should be Do you believe in THE not Do you believe in A .
cp6rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OOOH MY ! PLEASE BUDDAH!! PLEASE !!... Azylum Off Topic 11 04-04-2012 04:24 PM
Religion is bullshit morvegil The Circus 510 10-10-2011 05:36 PM
bashing religion AliceInChains02 The Circus 90 10-14-2008 09:00 PM
What Religion are you? RojerLockless Off Topic 47 06-24-2008 11:05 AM
Do you believe in ? or Religion? 2XTURBO Off Topic 0 02-15-2007 11:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #82
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see
He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
"Hes got the answers to ease my curiosity
He dreamed a up and called it christianity
Your is dead and no one cares
If there is a I will see you there

He flexed his muscles to keep his flock of sheep in line
He made a virus that would kill off all the swine
His perfect kingdom of killing, suffering and pain
Demands devotion atrocities done in his name
Your is dead and no one cares
Drowning in his own hypocrisy
And if there is a I will see you there
Burning with your in humility
Will you die for this? "

NIN-Heresy

Is this demeaning of Christianity? Sorry
Looks like Nietzsche...
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #83
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Jason
Do I believe in ? Yes,

Do I go to church to profess my beliefs? No

Do I think that that not going makes me believe in him less? No
+1...

Yes I believe very strongly in , but am more spiritual than religious. I'm also very curious about those questions that some may have with regard to religion and faith. The direction this thread seems to be going floats on the side of futility because someone basing their argument on the concepts and ideals of the bible would have a difficult time proving their point to one who is an atheist because the atheist does not hold the bible as valid text. One can not have a logical or productive debate on the topic of Christianity or faith versus Atheism and who is right for the very reasons stated above and for the fact that the concept of faith is intrinsicly antagonistic to the perspective of an atheist. Now the discussion of Creationism versus Evolutionism can be had but I suppose that is a different thread...Alice, care to indulge? :icon_bigg
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #84
NO MORE F4I
my hand hurts
 
NO MORE F4I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: downtown h-town
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,755

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
bikeless now
my bmx p.o.s.








Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
Doh k


It's coo bro...just as long as you understand my POV......
i understand, you should already know i dont take seriously, its always for fun reactions from people, hence why my new girlfriends parents hate me already
__________________
It Drive On
NO MORE F4I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #85
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
YES, the bible was written by man. But honestly, are the things in it really all that bad...:dontknow:.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:39 AM   #86
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
Looks like Nietzsche...
i wrote a paper on Nietzsche last semester, i think he's really interesting to read. his "will to power" idea really makes sense to me, personally and i like how he views religion, and life based on whether they are life affirming or life denying.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #87
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO
 
del240z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, tejas!!!
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,740

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(









Errouneous....Errouneous on both counts!!!!

What movie was that from? Anyone? Anyone? :dontknow:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
So is refusing to give it up.

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #88
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
+1...

The direction this thread seems to be going floats on the side of futility because someone basing their argument on the concepts and ideals of the bible would have a difficult time proving their point to one who is an atheist because the atheist does not hold the bible as valid text. One can not have a logical or productive debate on the topic of Christianity or faith versus Atheism and who is right for the very reasons stated above and for the fact that the concept of faith is intrinsicly antagonistic to the perspective of an atheist.
I disagree that we can't have a meaningful conversation about religion because some of us don't believe. We couldn't really argue "the facts" of the bible, but what i would like to discuss, personally, are things like what role do religions play in our world? how did they come about, and why? why are there so many, and how are they different? what do they do that can be seen to be good, what do they do that can be seen to be bad? I guess i'm really interested in the behavior of the church, rather than the "doctrine", which seems to be your main concern, or at least was in past threads.

Quote:
Now the discussion of Creationism versus Evolutionism can be had but I suppose that is a different thread...Alice, care to indulge? :icon_bigg
You know it
I don't have a doctorate on either subject, but I'll give it my best and of course we have google at our disposal
to "discuss" this properly, will you be backing Creationism?
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #89
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
Errouneous....Errouneous on both counts!!!!

What movie was that from? Anyone? Anyone? :dontknow:
no idea
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #90
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO
 
del240z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, tejas!!!
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,740

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(









Wedding Crashers....duh...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
So is refusing to give it up.

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #91
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









"you make me sad. very well, come along patsie."
"none shall pass"
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #92
gixxerbill
Senior Member
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Corpus Christi
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 6,595

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper







How do people you do not believe in explain Israel and the plight of the Jews? I think just seeing that nation has lasted over the centuries with everybody trying to kill them off would have to see there is a force behind them.
gixxerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #93
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
I disagree that we can't have a meaningful conversation about religion because some of us don't believe. We couldn't really argue "the facts" of the bible, but what i would like to discuss, personally, are things like what role do religions play in our world? how did they come about, and why? why are there so many, and how are they different? what do they do that can be seen to be good, what do they do that can be seen to be bad? I guess i'm really interested in the behavior of the church, rather than the "doctrine", which seems to be your main concern, or at least was in past threads.
You can definately have a meaningful discussion about religion and I would hope that someone could possibly come out with a lil more faith than that which they went into the discussion with. The problem is that the thread was taking a turn to faith versus atheism, or so I read, and I don't believe that one can debate the two. There are really no logical or other grounds for such a discussion. The atheist from persprective, world view and other influences in his personal life and the christian with the bible. Both will be closed minded to accepting anything the other says due to the basis from where each individual is basing their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
You know it
I don't have a doctorate on either subject, but I'll give it my best and of course we have google at our disposal
to "discuss" this properly, will you be backing Creationism?
You know it, I will however be using scientific methods and examples for the discussion rather than the bible or any other unempirachal source.
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #94
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
You can definately have a meaningful discussion about religion and I would hope that someone could possibly come out with a lil more faith than that which they went into the discussion with. The problem is that the thread was taking a turn to faith versus atheism, or so I read, and I don't believe that one can debate the two. There are really no logical or other grounds for such a discussion. The atheist from persprective, world view and other influences in his personal life and the christian with the bible. Both will be closed minded to accepting anything the other says due to the basis from where each individual is basing their opinion.



You know it, I will however be using scientific methods and examples for the discussion rather than the bible or any other unempirachal source.
scientific data backing creationism? holy , lemme see
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #95
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
scientific data backing creationism? holy , lemme see
Start the thread...
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #96
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









actually, now's not a Great time to get started because i have class in 20 minutes. i was just reading the wiki article and came across some poll and stats i found pretty interesting.

According to a 2006 Gallup poll,[27] about 46% of Americans believe in strict creationism, concurring with the statement that " created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years," and 36% believe that guided the process of evolution. Only 13% believe that humans evolved over millions of years, without any supernatural intervention. Belief in creationism is inversely correlated to education; of those with post-graduate degrees, only 22% believe in strict creationism.[27] This shows a distinct trend, in which most people who have experienced higher forms of education, and therefore have been exposed to more ideas, are more willing to accept evolutionary theory as at least partially true.

In 1987, Newsweek reported: "By one count there are some 700 scientists with respectable academic credentials (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) who ascribed to Biblically literal creationism."[28][29]
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #97
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
scientific data backing creationism? holy , lemme see
One example:

Big Bang theory is contradicted by Newtons first law of Thermodynamics.
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #98
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









it also says there's different types of creationism, the kinds of which i was not aware of since i've only seen it used in a "fundamentalist" fashion. i'd like to say that i'm not against the idea that maybe there's some sort of intelligence behind existence's design, but i will debate against the bible's stance on creation.
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #99
AliceInChains02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Crosby, TX (NE)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,169

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada









Quote:
Originally Posted by CaJuNsOuLjA
One example:

Big Bang theory is contradicted by Newtons first law of Thermodynamics.
i think astrophysics is out of my league, but would you care to explain?
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #100
CaJuNsOuLjA
Resident Glasnost
 
CaJuNsOuLjA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW: 249 & Beltway
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 11,106

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
*SOLD*...(Pending purchase): 2006 CRF 450






Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
actually, now's not a Great time to get started because i have class in 20 minutes. i was just reading the wiki article and came across some poll and stats i found pretty interesting.

According to a 2006 Gallup poll,[27] about 46% of Americans believe in strict creationism, concurring with the statement that " created man pretty much in his present form at one time within the last 10,000 years," and 36% believe that guided the process of evolution. Only 13% believe that humans evolved over millions of years, without any supernatural intervention. Belief in creationism is inversely correlated to education; of those with post-graduate degrees, only 22% believe in strict creationism.[27] This shows a distinct trend, in which most people who have experienced higher forms of education, and therefore have been exposed to more ideas, are more willing to accept evolutionary theory as at least partially true.

In 1987, Newsweek reported: "By one count there are some 700 scientists with respectable academic credentials (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) who ascribed to Biblically literal creationism."[28][29]
Yea, I personally believe in micro-evolution, it can be observed everywhere but there is a distinct difference between micro and macro evolution as can be concluded by the use of the two terms...
__________________
indifferent0028"They've created a nation of spenders, speculators, and consumers, and they've destroyed the savers, producers, and the investing class that built this country. We're moving from a market-based economy to essentially a planned economy. We're abandoning capitalism and embracing socialism. That's a recipe for disaster." - Peter Schiff
CaJuNsOuLjA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy