MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #41
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Not really....it's ok.

hitnail
At least articulate an opinion on the subject. Dont just dump a troll shot on the conversation.
What say you about the deal?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BP adaptation for street riding jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 02-25-2014 04:35 PM
Group Riding Discussion sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 12-16-2012 07:26 AM
stir the pot! tonyt915 Off Topic 14 01-20-2009 08:42 PM
Riding in Costumes Discussion Mala Lingua Off Topic 30 10-30-2008 02:23 PM
Friday night street riding? Mr. Unassailable Events, Meets and Rides 36 09-14-2007 07:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco View Post
At least articulate an opinion on the subject. Dont just dump a troll shot on the conversation.
What say you about the deal?
I say the article was covering PSL riding speeds and not the speeds most do.

Plus your argument is about (seems to me) street riding in general, but then you go back and say is for Noobs.

That's not how I read it. Plus you said you wanted to stir the pot. So I assume you are trolling.

So, I just saw a comment that pretty much hit the nail on the head from what I have see in my time here.

You guys should try that body position on the clovers though, that will give me an advantage...better yet try keeping up with Romeo36 using that bp on the clovers. Should be fun to watch

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #43
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

I have low grip tires and very low pegs. Keeping my bike upright is important.

Moving around the bike is not only necessary to get every inch out of my bike, but very fun too. If you can do it, I don't see why you wouldn't, especially through some bumpy surface roads with a sharper than average radius to avoid unnecessary chassis input.

If I stay upright, a lot of times my rear steps out just a tad under braking or acceleration which may distract me more than hanging off the side if it happens without my consent.

Did I mention it's more fun and isn't that what riding is really all about anyway?

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
Blanco
BORC O.G.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2013 ZX10R & 09 ZX-14
'09 R1 (homeboy shopping network donation)
'07 ZX14 (sold)
'01 FZ1 (sold)
ZRX1100 (sold)

Quote:

Plus your argument is about (seems to me) street riding in general, but then you go back and say is for Noobs.

That's not how I read it. Plus you said you wanted to stir the pot. So I assume you are trolling.

So, I just saw a comment that pretty much hit the nail on the head from what I have see in my time here.

You guys should try that body position on the clovers though, that will give me an advantage...better yet try keeping up with Romeo36 using that bp on the clovers. Should be fun to watch
Now thats more like it! Im sure there will be some track BP on the clover run!

Yeah, not really clear on my statement. Its not just for noobs but where noobs should place thier focus when learning to ride. The track BP is distracting and slows thier progress. They start jumping into waters that are not necessary while complicating their learning curve.
I see waaay to many noobs emulating others (more experienced riders) doing of the seat BP becasue they think thats how to ride and steer a bike. Starting with the principles discussed in the article is the best choice when learning to ride...not moving around on the bike track style. I can also assure everyone that this riding style works over PSL as well.
I am a fan of and need to do a much better job personally of adopting more of the track style BP because I am the extreme opposite example of this article. So used to the upright style that I have to force myself to move around on the bike when I need to.

Last edited by Blanco; 12-14-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: typo
Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Trackdays: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
Something I've noticed over the years. The people that don't really know are the ones who like to tell everyone else that they know everything and and that everybody else is doing it wrong.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Avoid climbing from side to side on the saddle as you transition the bike through a canyon road as that requires more physical effort and is simply unnecessary at a legal pace.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #47
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:

I knew that Ivan would get where I was coming from. Now here is my stance on this issue. And anybody that feels like arguing you are more than welcome to try. The point is this. The reason most people go to the track is to actually learn to ride their bike. Whether its bp. Better braking habits. Taking a turn or whatever. Every single thing you learn on the track will translate into being a safer rider on the street ( even hauling ). Take bp for example. Lets take two riders. One uses track bp and one uses the conventional street bp. They both take a turn at the same rate of speed. Which rider will be closer to crashing? Which one will be on the edge of their tires?

The answer is the one using "street bp"

The person using track bp will not have his bike leaned over as far as street bp guy because the whole point of leaning off the bike is to have the weight on the inside of the bike. In doing so track bp guy will have his bike more straight up and down. Which translates to being more on the fat part of the tire.

If you see a noob trying to imitate track bp and you don't know what the you are talking about because you are still a noob yourself. Send them to someone who does. Don't tell them to stop. Atleast they are trying.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #48
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Holy I just wrote a lot. Sorry. Wasn't trying to give y'all an essay to read lol
Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #49
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

I think we cover that in lvl one class.... But folks like Cuz don't go to class like they are suppose to...... I always exaggerate my bp on the street even though I don't need it. I especially do this in a corner because I think its fun and why not practice some while everyone else has their bikes parked in a garage....

Seriously, the goal is to have the bike as straight up as possible so you can give it the most throttle as possible... the less contact patch you have, the less open throttle you can have...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Preview.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	63496  
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #50
luckyxdevil1

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
knee drag car
Rolmfao. That's hilarious.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 PM   #51
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

^^^^ this guy is good.

Blanco___ sit yo skinny down. Boieee
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #52
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
Holy I just wrote a lot. Sorry. Wasn't trying to give y'all an essay to read lol
I meant this guy is good. Lol
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #53
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

That article specifically states "at legal speeds".

You are talking about noobs trying to emulate track BP on more spirited rides..

If more experienced riders are hanging off at noob pace, there is the problem.....

The basics never change: countersteer, look thru the turn, relax the arms, ball of foot on the peg.

As you go faster the body has to change to get the bike more upright for more clearance. Regardless of street or track, it is corner speed related more than anything, not to mention bike design and setup.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #54
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
I think we cover that in lvl one class.... But folks like Cuz don't go to class like they are suppose to...... I always exaggerate my bp on the street even though I don't need it. I especially do this in a corner because I think its fun and why not practice some while everyone else has their bikes parked in a garage....

Seriously, the goal is to have the bike as straight up as possible so you can give it the most throttle as possible... the less contact patch you have, the less open throttle you can have...
Yeah. Finally some sense.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #55
luckyxdevil1

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
knee drag car
Rolmfao. That's hilarious.

But on a serious note. I got to agree with learning the street well and if you've done a fair amount of tds. But speaking from looking back when I went down one thing that went through my mind was my body position. And should probably paid more attention to making my line smooth in the turn. I'll learn from it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #56
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post

If more experienced riders are hanging off at noob pace, there is the problem.....

The basics never change: countersteer, look thru the turn, relax the arms, ball of foot on the peg.

As you go faster the body has to change to get the bike more upright for more clearance. Regardless of street or track, it is corner speed related more than anything, not to mention bike design and setup.

Correcto. My only issue with what you have said is counter steer. You should be using your legs and body to control what the bike does not so much your arms. It's not a car lol. Just put weight which ever direction you want to go and you will go. If your back wheel is spinning up by all means counter steer to save that . But past that. Legs and body
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #57
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Good article, thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #58
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post

Hey Tex...where is your SDRC??

images?qtbnANd9GcTXtodILwZb0bvIlhrUovvqNPst9X71MqBJHzRo7rplxwBZkJS6
Old 12-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #59
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I have been a street rider for more than 50 years...
I have been to only about 12 track days and raced only 7 race weekends, mostly sprint and 1 endurance....
BP is important, it is what your BP is that becomes the issue... hanging off the bike at posted legal speeds and below will actually draw you into the turn and is not really something you want to do...if you are a "spirited" rider and do not pay attention to posted speeds, then hanging off the bike is the way to go.
I have the mag and read the article and I agree with the article...I guess i fall somewhere in between the two extemes in point of view...and just to add here that i have seen some fast racers who are not really very good street riders....they are two different riding styles... doing trackdays will make you a better street rider if you apply the things that are applicable... some things you should not do unless you want to attract attention and pay a few tickets.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #60
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Bike(s):

Member Garage

good explanation Obed...like it was said earlier...depends on corner speed...

Advertisement