MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

takegawa shock adjustments- steve?

Steve when you got your shock did the instructions for adjustment come in japanese? i am wondering about the 5 adjustment in 2.5 mm range, did you find any need to fool with that? The pictures are nice but the japanese writting is a bit disheartening.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Takegawa 28mm carb. FS New joeybaila Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 1 05-06-2014 02:47 PM
takegawa shock tsflstb Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 6 09-30-2012 08:29 PM
valve adjustments ? Reemdog General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-03-2012 08:37 AM
valve adjustments Shinobi General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-26-2011 01:02 PM
suspension adjustments Nasty09 How To's and Q & A's 2 10-29-2008 11:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
tsflstb

Feedback Rating: (2)

They must make that shock for a different Japanese model XR too...I was all excited about raising the ride height until I realized the bottom of the shock would bind up on the swingarm linkage. I put a picture of that in the other thread about it. You have to leave it on the shortest setting.

I have the BBR spring on mine right now...should have let you try it out. It feels a little too hard for me. I'm thinking about putting the stock XR spring on it and cranking in some preload. The ideal spring is probably somewhere in between the two, but I think you'll have to get one custom made for that.

...and yeah I stared at the Japanese instructions way too long...it's not like Spanish or French where you can make out a word here or there even if you don't speak it.

Last edited by tsflstb; 12-13-2012 at 09:02 PM.
tsflstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
tsflstb

The stock old XR spring is definitely better for me at 190 lbs. Took about 4 hours and multiple OSHA violations to wrestle the BBR spring off.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

i am having a custom spring made for the shock...
minimob told me the spring they send on it is rated at 550 and for my weight they suggested having a spring rate of 750. i will be dropping the spring and shock off with the company that is going to make the spring for me next monday...
i had the forks shortened by 4", that makes them about 1/2 longer than the oem shock, i figure that should be close enough. when i get the shock back and put on, i am going to take it out for a shake down run and see what adjustments are still needed.... probably meaning i will need to fall down a few times.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
tsflstb

Hey Obed maybe to save you a few bucks...the BBR spring is advertised at 975 #/inch as 30% stiffer than the stock spring. 975 x 0.7 = 750 #/in.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
tsflstb

meant to say 975 / 1.3 =750.

either way its pretty close
Old 12-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
gots2no
Steve

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
i am having a custom spring made for the shock...
minimob told me the spring they send on it is rated at 550 and for my weight they suggested having a spring rate of 750. i will be dropping the spring and shock off with the company that is going to make the spring for me next monday...
i had the forks shortened by 4", that makes them about 1/2 longer than the oem shock, i figure that should be close enough. when i get the shock back and put on, i am going to take it out for a shake down run and see what adjustments are still needed.... probably meaning i will need to fall down a few times.
How much for the custom spring? I just replaced my stock 2" ID spring with a 1.75" ID one. I'm a a little concerning about the clearance between the spring and shock, but hasn't seemed to be a problem. I went from a 375# (measured) to a 475# on my ZX6. The bike handles much better with my 200 lbs.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

i do not know how much the spring is going to be...
steve not sure about how the numbeers they are using works out...
what minimob told me was that the stock spring was 250/280, the spring they used was 550 and i needed a 750...
Old 12-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

steve, basically what minimob said was that the stock spring is designed for an 80 to 100lb rider (kid), the spring that comes on the takegawa shock works for a 160 to a 180 lb rider and i need a spring for my weight of 225 plus gear... so with what you are telling me they must not use the same spring ratings you are using. i will be sure and tell that to the guy who is making the spring, on the phone we used numbers and if he is thinking the same way you are, the new spring would not work.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
gots2no
Steve

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

It depends on the suspension geometry. My ZX6E suspension travels 2 in for every 1 in of spring travel. With a 500 # spring, it takes 250 pounds to compress the SPRING 1 in due to the 2:1 ratio. Now, also due to this ratio, that means to compress the spring 1 in, the swingarm has to move 2 in. Therefore, a 500 lb spring will give 1 in or 25 mm of sag with 125 lbs of weight. With 60% of my geared up weight of 200 lbs (120 lbs) on the sag should be 25mm. It is 27.5 mm measured compared with previous values of 40 mm.

The rider weight of design you mention seems right. They say my bike was designed around a 150 lb rider.
200 lb / 150 lb = 1.3
1.3 * 375 = 500

I went with a 475 as a precaution.

I have a detailed spreadsheet that I downloaded off of another forum from a user named YelowDuck. I've modified for my calculations and it works great. I like digging into this stuff as you can see, hence my screen name.

Last edited by gots2no; 12-16-2012 at 09:24 AM.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

well, i told the folks not to make the spring for me... i had been told by minimob that the spring should cost in the 50 to 70 dollar range... the folks quoted me $220 and a 4 week lead time...they measured the spring and told me that by their ratings what minimob calls a 550 spring they call a 480 spring... and they calculated that i needed an 850 spring not a 750 spring that minimob had suggested...
i now have to decide what i want to do...minimob says their spring is good for about 180 lb rider...did you try your stock spring Steve? seems to me you should not weight much over 180... if steve is correct and the bbr heavy duty spring is in the 900 range, i may just put it on the shock and try it out...i think before i do that i will talk to JM and see what he has in the way of a shock... with the almost 300 i spent on the shock and considering spending another 220 for a spring to make it do what i want, i am in the neighborhood of putting a little more with it and getting a shock built for my weight by one of the better known mfg's... got to think about it awhile.. if i decide to go to a different mfg, this shock should not be too hard to sell to one of the lighter guys who wants an adjustable rear shock for his bike....either that or lose 50 lbs and ride it myself
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
tsflstb

I went from the stock shock/ BBR spring to the Tak shock and their spring. It sagged about 1" more with that setup. I think it's for more like a 160-170lb rider.

youve got about 30 lbs on me so the BBR spring may be good for you. Might want to put some heavier oil in the shock (if it can be serviced) to help the damping keep up with that spring.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #13
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

steve i can not get the shock to mount... turn all the way in, it still appears to be about a half an inch too long...i am in all the way to the stop on the threads...you mentioned you had to put it on the shortest position....are you with the bright spot showing in the holes or are you all the way to the stop...i am afraid to try and force it any more...if i were to try and force the alignment with the bolt for the shock on the mount i am up solid against the frame and nothing will move, it would be a hardtail with no shock movement at all...
i am going to pm you with my phone number, when you get a minute give me a call and tell me how you got this sob to mount up.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

ok, i found out that you can not use the nut on the shock to adjust the bbr heavy duty spring up enough to clear the swing arm... the spring is too strong,, it stripped several of the threads when it popped back down... if you are going to use a heavier spring, get one made that is the same length, even if it is a larger diameter... once it clears the swing arm there is more room... looks like it is time to order another shock and spend the pennies to have that spring made...DO NOT USE THE BBR HEAVY DUTY SPRING ON THE TAKAGAWA SHOCK....and if you want to use the shock to raise the seat heigth, get the TK or some after market linkage, the stock one will hit and bind up....not too bad, just a $300 oops.
if you do not want to spend 300 on the shock and another 220 on a custom spring... just buy the bbr and have patrick press it on your stock shock, you will have no adjustment but you will have more shock than stock for us fat boys.

Last edited by obed; 12-23-2012 at 04:52 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

i have come to the conclusion that the bbr heavy duty springs do not have a real good qc, that maybe they are inconsistant in their spring rate...
i know that in the last year i have riden other bikes with the bbr heavy duty spring on them and all of them had much softer suspension that my bike did with the same set up...
i know that steve was able to get the bbr spring he had onto his takagawa shock, but thought it was too stiff and went back to the stock spring and said there was only about an inch difference in travel... since i already up this shock i decided to see what i could do with getting the spring on anyway... i used 2 pipe wrenches and still could not adjust the spring to the length of the stock spring, but i did get the assembly short enough to clear the swing arm and mount it... i had NO travel, it was like i had a solid rod on there... it became a hard tail...so either that spring is way more than the 975 that they say or i up the shock to where it had no travel in it at all... either way it is new shock time...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
tsflstb

Sorry to hear about that Obed. I just saw all of this today. Let me know when you get the new one in and I'll try to help out.

Advertisement