MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Buying a bike where the seller still owes to the bank?

Hi there and Happy Holidays!

Anyone knows the proper procedure to buy a bike where the seller still owes the bike to the bank?

Seller is asking only for the pay-off amount. If I gave the pay-off amount to the seller, How do I get the title of the bike on my name? I guess the bank will mail it directly to him.

Thanks.
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a bike when the Seller still owes a bank note? rkl56119 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-04-2010 07:29 AM
Buying Things Dressed As A Bank Robber cobrakiller02 Off Topic 11 01-22-2010 10:39 AM
When buying a bike from an individual seller... AndreaJ200 General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 12-15-2009 03:34 PM
buying things dressed as a bank robber.... AiJay Off Topic 12 10-27-2009 12:42 PM
Seller's remorse... I want a new bike, again.. dru General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 06-13-2008 10:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Yea, the seller gets the title if he paid off the bike. Good luck. I would make the payment to the bank myself. Have a bill of sale notarized.

Last edited by Bevo; 12-11-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
yourfather
Banned

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 750

User is banned

yourfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfather View Post
Go with the seller to the bank and have them sign the title over right there I've done it before
Yea, if the bike is financed locally
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Equis View Post
Hi there and Happy Holidays!

Anyone knows the proper procedure to buy a bike where the seller still owes the bike to the bank?

Seller is asking only for the pay-off amount. If I gave the pay-off amount to the seller, How do I get the title of the bike on my name? I guess the bank will mail it directly to him.

Thanks.
Do not give the pay off to the seller.
Contact the lien holder and verify pay off, account number, etc.
Mail a certified letter with the cashiers check to the lien holder with a notarized letter signed by the owner to mail the title to you. Even at that you have a 50/50 shot of the title being mailed directly to you so make sure you have your 130u and 271 filled out and signed before hand, as well as a notarized agreement that he has to provide title.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Squoddybody
This is me.

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Yea, the seller gets the title if he paid off the bike. Good luck. I would make the payment to the bank myself. Have a bill of sale notarized.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfather View Post
Go with the seller to the bank and have them sign the title over right there I've done it before
This. Do NOT give the seller the cash. Pay off the note yourself, then have them send YOU the title.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

This certainly isn't a perfect world where things always work out in an honest transaction.. But. I have sold 2 bikes in the past where i was still making payments. I filled out a bill of sale. Both got copies. He handed me cash and rode the bike home. I made the payoff and as soon as the title came in, I was able to hand over the title.

He had to trust that i would make the payoff and get the title in a timely manner. I did. We were both happy.

There are more protective routes to go about this, like Patrick mentioned, but it worked out well for my buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

No way in I would give the seller the cash. Your back can wire it to their account and have all of the paperwork done for you. I hope you really trust the seller
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I hope you really trust the seller
Spouses sue each other all the time
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

If you cannot go to the bank that holds the note to make this transaction, go to your own bank. Your banker will assist expediting this operation. It's not a big deal.

Your banker will verify the payoff balance, and will wire transfer the money from your account to the lien holder, gives both of you documentation of that. He then signs a bill of sale and limited power of attorney. He hands you the keys, and the lien title. He agrees to call you when the blue title comes in, which should be in about 10 days. In the event he's a and doesn't call you, you take all of the above down to the county tax office and file an application for lost title. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO DO THIS OR YOU CAN GET FINED.

Or, alternatively, take it for about 37 loops around Beltway 8, bust all the EZ tag gates while the bike is still in his name. Be sure to flip the bird as you go through, just for extra incentive. Park it downtown in a parking space. Don't pay the meter. Wait until the meter maid comes by and tell her the guy riding that said something like FTP. When she tickets it, wait for her to leave, throw the ticket away and wait for the next meter maid. When they come and say that he told them it was sold to you, deny that he sold it before all those tickets. Tell them he must have been clowning around, since he knew he was going to sell the bike. When they ask for documentation, tell them he has refused to give it to you since you already paid him, and see what a he is?

7ef578b4e668724485ba633629c5f960
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
Or, alternatively, take it for about 37 loops around Beltway 8, bust all the EZ tag gates while the bike is still in his name. Be sure to flip the bird as you go through, just for extra incentive. Park it downtown in a parking space. Don't pay the meter. Wait until the meter maid comes by and tell her the guy riding that said something like FTP. When she tickets it, wait for her to leave, throw the ticket away and wait for the next meter maid. When they come and say that he told them it was sold to you, deny that he sold it before all those tickets. Tell them he must have been clowning around, since he knew he was going to sell the bike. When they ask for documentation, tell them he has refused to give it to you since you already paid him, and see what a he is?
Note to self
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #12
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

I met up w/ the buyer @ my credit union (the location that actually keeps the titles). He gave me the cash for the scooter, I paid the loan off, got the title, and gave it to him.

Pretty easy... though obviously, you wouldn't want to do a transaction like this with just any old schmuck.

Last edited by Pre-K; 12-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Pre-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Do not give the pay off to the seller.
Contact the lien holder and verify pay off, account number, etc.
Mail a certified letter with the cashiers check to the lien holder with a notarized letter signed by the owner to mail the title to you. Even at that you have a 50/50 shot of the title being mailed directly to you so make sure you have your 130u and 271 filled out and signed before hand, as well as a notarized agreement that he has to provide title.
What's a 130u and 271?

The sellers bank is not local. I am not paying cash, planning to get a personal loan from my local CU. I guess it will be better to request my loan for a vehicle and let them contact the sellers bank and made the pay-off directly and they will keep the title until I pay the loan. In this case what paperwork do I need to get from the seller?
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #14
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):

Quote:
What's a 130u and 271?

The sellers bank is not local. I am not paying cash, planning to get a personal loan from my local CU.
If you get a personal loan, that IS paying cash for all intents and purposes. The loan is simply how you acquire the cash.

Quote:
I guess it will be better to request my loan for a vehicle and let them contact the sellers bank and made the pay-off directly and they will keep the title until I pay the loan. In this case what paperwork do I need to get from the seller?
Nothing. Just the bank and account numbers of his loan, and take him to your CU. Your CU will have all the title transfer paperwork there. The red title wouldn't hurt.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #15
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
If you cannot go to the bank that holds the note to make this transaction, go to your own bank. Your banker will assist expediting this operation. It's not a big deal.

Your banker will verify the payoff balance, and will wire transfer the money from your account to the lien holder, gives both of you documentation of that. He then signs a bill of sale and limited power of attorney. He hands you the keys, and the lien title. He agrees to call you when the blue title comes in, which should be in about 10 days. In the event he's a and doesn't call you, you take all of the above down to the county tax office and file an application for lost title. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO DO THIS OR YOU CAN GET FINED.

now that is funny!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
What's a 130u and 271?
Here you go:

http://www.txdmv.gov/whatyouneed/for...gistration.htm

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRR View Post
now that is funny!!!
Well, you know, I'm just sayin... The guy will come trying to find YOU to change the title over.

When he does give you all the paperwork, be sure to sign your name and TODAY'S date, not the date when you took the bike from him. You certainly don't want all those tickets...

(All said very tongue in cheek, of course. Me being popo and all, I wouldn't actually endorse doing something like this. I really posted it as a way of showing someone who WOULD hold out a title on someone how it can backfire like a sumbitch.)

Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

A personal loan will carry a higher interest rate than a vehicle loan. A vehicle loan will likely require FC insurance though. Just something to think about. A vehicle loan through the bank will ensure you dont get in the process. Its in their best interest to ensure you come out on top of the deal.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
FortBendRider

Bike(s):
2001 BMW R1150GS
1999 Kawasaki Concours
2003 Kawasaki Concours

Far as I am concerned, no clear title, then no sale. Most all transfers where a title has a lien on it go smoothly, it only takes one that can cost you thousands.
FortBendRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortBendRider View Post
Far as I am concerned, no clear title, then no sale. Most all transfers where a title has a lien on it go smoothly, it only takes one that can cost you thousands.
There is no reason to worry if you do it right. Its not that difficult. It can actually the a safer buy due to your bank and theirs being involved

Advertisement