Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track > Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

how much to cut out of the kx85 forks?

ok, i have decided to cut the length of the kx85 forks that I put on my crf100.... how much would you suggest having cut out... I am thinking 3 to 4 inches...
who has done it, how much did you shorten it?
I am also ordering the mini-mob shock and having a spring made for it, looking to make the steering and suspension a little better... love the brakes though.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KX85 FRONT WHEEL Mr.337 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 8 01-09-2014 12:36 PM
KX85 front end on crf100 obed Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 21 06-14-2012 07:51 PM
kx85 motard obed Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 14 05-04-2012 04:06 PM
Being Cut Off... amber|alexis General Discussion (Moto Related) 61 08-18-2008 02:24 PM
cut or no cut texlurch Performance and Modifications 25 06-12-2008 05:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
tsflstb

Feedback Rating: (2)

I wouldn't lower it any more than 3 inches...you don't want it to get too squirrely when the front end is compressed on the brakes. Plus you can always pull it up in the triples another 2-3" if you need to.

Let me know what kind of spring you get for that shock. I've got the BBR spring on mine now but I wouldn't mind one just a little softer.
tsflstb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Gateman

Feedback Rating: (0)

I've done it.

On three mini's. One KX 85 / 100 that you obed have seen on this site for sale, and two KLX 140's. The KLX 140 frame uses the same steering stem and bearings as the front end on the KX. Also have done the set up you want on a WR 450 as well.

All specs to do this is in the computer at JM Racing, I-45 near the Woodlands.

The front springs you will want to use is a set of EX 250 front fork springs. As for the rear.........BEFORE you cough up the cash for the BBR product you may want to visit with John Mitchell and have him fit a rear spring to match what you are trying to create. He will find what will work for you.

If you do decide to have JM do this it is VERY important you take the chassis to the shop so he can set up the correct geometry for your bike and also to ALLOW you to have some adjustment settings to allow you to adjust the bike at the tracks you are going to.

Make sure you also advise him you are wanting a set up for roadracing and not Super MOTO (jumping) ........pavement ONLY.

PS. make sure you buy an extra NEW front brake disc or two. The brake caliper carries the thin and narrow pads creating alot of heat and in turn warps the disc.

Good luck with your build.
T. Johnson
TDK Racing
Gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

4 inches out of mine. I did this with the stock springs and its okay. I was looking at cheap alternative springs cause I was getting really close to bottoming out, and now that Gateman posted about Ninja springs, I will be hunting on ebay this weekend.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

well i pulled the front end off this morning and measured the length of the kx85 forks against the stock forks. The kx forks are just shy of 4 1/2" longer. I want to get as close to stock length as possible. I liked the turn in much better with stock forks than with the kx forks, but i like the brakes on the kx set up much better, so i think i am going to have it cut 4".
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
Gateman

Whoa... Whoa.. there Jason. Sorry I had not chimed in on this since my last post.

You know me from our STC MX days. I will not steer you wrong.

Don't do that w / the heavier EX springs. The KX 65 forks are smaller in diameter then the KX 85 tubes. The Ninja EX 250 springs will not work for you if you are on a 65 and I'm assuming you are. You are racing a 65 aren't you???

Here's your solution. For the KLX 110, KX 65, TTR 90 and 110's and the KTM 65's you will want to get a set of springs from "Performance Springs" They have a line of springs for the smaller bikes as listed above simply called their "Mini Bike Springs". The coils are wound tighter then the stock springs therefore being stiffer.

Advise them what you are doing (Roadracing) ,and they may have the springs already shortend to what your set up is to be. Also, know your weight fully geared before you call. I'm sure they will ask so have it ready for their techs so they can dial you in.

They also have REAR springs that will work for you as well.

Here's a number for you to contact them with your questions. (918) 633-3593

Tim J.

Last edited by Gateman; 12-12-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spell ck.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateman View Post
Whoa... Whoa.. there Jason. Sorry I had not chimed in on this since my last post.

You know me from our STC MX days. I will not steer you wrong.

Don't do that w / the heavier EX springs. The KX 65 forks are smaller in diameter then the KX 85 tubes. The Ninja EX 250 springs will not work for you if you are on a 65 and I'm assuming you are. You are racing a 65 aren't you???

Here's your solution. For the KLX 110, KX 65, TTR 90 and 110's and the KTM 65's you will want to get a set of springs from "Performance Springs" They have a line of springs for the smaller bikes as listed above simply called their "Mini Bike Springs". The coils are wound tighter then the stock springs therefore being stiffer.

Advise them what you are doing (Roadracing) ,and they may have the springs already shortend to what your set up is to be. Also, know your weight fully geared before you call. I'm sure they will ask so have it ready for their techs so they can dial you in.

They also have REAR springs that will work for you as well.

Here's a number for you to contact them with your questions. (918) 633-3593

Tim J.
I have KX85 front end on XR100.

And as much as I'd like to know someone famous like you, we've never met.
I've only ever been on dirt once and most of that time was spend on the ground.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #8
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
I've only ever been on dirt once and most of that time was spend on the ground.
What this man says is true.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
Gateman

Hahaha !!

Jason you're kill'in me, Famous ? No, not me.

But there was a time as a 16 thru 18 yr. old racing the flattracks in most all of the mid-west state fairgrounds on a XR 750 that I was making a name for myself riding for AD Farrow & Co. Harley (Bob and Bobby Farrow Jr. outfit).
Had lots of help from Ecklund, George Roder, Earl Balby, and a really famous fellow who lived close by named Mann. Nice company ahh?

Thats the famous guys. Moved to Texas in "79" and Povey, Wise and a fellow named Shobert were the only guys I know down here.

Famous? No, not me.

Yeah, we need to visit sometime.

Advertisement