MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
lucydad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Question Houston area riding...thoughts on bikes...cruisers, nakeds, etc

MH,

Once in a while on my longer rides (Guzzi V7 naked) on our multi-county, straight, crowded, high speed roads in the Houston area...I start thinking.

The thinking is spurred by wind buffetting above 70 mph, numbing hands, endless linear highways, few curves and long distances to anywhere I want to go. And yeah I am getting bored with my current riding "orbit".

And the thinking after about an hour on the bike goes to....wait for it....

Cruiser bikes come to mind: comfy, with wind protection, upright stance and geometry, cushy seats, maybe back support, saddle bags with room for camping or at least weekend gear, GPS, cruise control, ABS, you name it on accessories.

Most on this forum are sport bike riders, and that is great. Being an older guy (we rule)--I am starting to ponder adding another bike to my inventory. The new BMW 800 GT (in orange) has caught my eye. There are many other worthy bikes. Higher weight, moving around the garage, and my relatively small frame and strength gives me concerns on dealing with a 500#+ cruiser.
Cost is an issue as these bikes can get very expensive.

Likely I would look for a clean used cruiser, but not a HD as I dislike their engines and other associated aspects.

Anyway, that is the thought of the day taking a break from finding oil for all you consumers.

Yup, I think the ideal solution: a play naked bike like my Guzzi, and a small cruiser for when I want to ride to Austin, or the coast, go camping, or maybe even further?

What say you, especially members with several diverse bikes? Thoughts? Comments?

stay safe

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sport bikes Vs. Cruisers FowleR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 11-07-2012 07:50 PM
Steel Unit Club meetup - event for new members ( Cruisers Bikes and Choppers) Edgar A. Events, Meets and Rides 9 08-19-2012 04:29 PM
Thoughts on different bikes JBIRD5363 Super Motards 4 01-27-2012 12:18 PM
New Rider - Thoughts for me on new bikes mateoGT3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 97 02-02-2011 09:16 AM
Thoughts on IPOD'S while riding marimirez Safety Corner Main 46 09-28-2007 10:35 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
MH,

Once in a while on my longer rides (Guzzi V7 naked) on our multi-county, straight, crowded, high speed roads in the Houston area...I start thinking.

The thinking is spurred by wind buffetting above 70 mph, numbing hands, endless linear highways, few curves and long distances to anywhere I want to go. And yeah I am getting bored with my current riding "orbit".

And the thinking after about an hour on the bike goes to....wait for it....

Cruiser bikes come to mind: comfy, with wind protection, upright stance and geometry, cushy seats, maybe back support, saddle bags with room for camping or at least weekend gear, GPS, cruise control, ABS, you name it on accessories.

Most on this forum are sport bike riders, and that is great. Being an older guy (we rule)--I am starting to ponder adding another bike to my inventory. The new BMW 800 GT (in orange) has caught my eye. There are many other worthy bikes. Higher weight, moving around the garage, and my relatively small frame and strength gives me concerns on dealing with a 500#+ cruiser.
Cost is an issue as these bikes can get very expensive.

Likely I would look for a clean used cruiser, but not a HD as I dislike their engines and other associated aspects.

Anyway, that is the thought of the day taking a break from finding oil for all you consumers.

Yup, I think the ideal solution: a play naked bike like my Guzzi, and a small cruiser for when I want to ride to Austin, or the coast, go camping, or maybe even further?

What say you, especially members with several diverse bikes? Thoughts? Comments?

stay safe

Breva 1100 or the Griso, stay in the family man.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
J.J. McQuade
DORC MEMBER

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ducati Multi-Strada 1100S
1993 Ducati 900SS (Designated Sweeper)
Acura NSX-T Type R

Member Garage

Got my eye on a really nice 2003 Aprilia Futura RST for touring. I just can't bring myself to buy another cruiser. Most of the guys I ride with are on sport bikes and they will leave me in the dust on a cruiser.
J.J. McQuade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
DuckySTi
SE Asian

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Diavel "Little Red"

You can always go for the ones like BMW k1600gt or a muscle bike for all purpose. I have the diavel and I can easily make the trip to Austin without breaking my back, and still have plenty of agility for sweepers and corners and hairspins
Old 12-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
trooper
Time to ride.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic

Any of the modern sport tourers are great long-ride bikes that are capable of more than what most of us can throw at them and very affordable to ride.
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckySTi View Post
You can always go for the ones like BMW k1600gt or a muscle bike for all purpose. I have the diavel and I can easily make the trip to Austin without breaking my back, and still have plenty of agility for sweepers and corners and hairspins
This
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

A brand new '08 Suzuki S83 was the first bike I bought when I first got back to riding about 2yrs ago. It was great around town bike and served it's purpose of regaining my riding confidence after 15yr hiatus. Because it has stayed basically the same since the late 80's, when it was called Intruder 1400, it is very lightweight for a big cc cruiser and had very reasonable ergos. Most cruisers these days fold you like a taco, and even an 800cc one weight 750 lbs. I tried commuting with it for a while, even got a mini windscreen and a set of saddlebags. Still, it didn't take long for me to realize the cruiser package is not my cup of tea for longer rides.

I wish I still have the S83 so you can test ride for a few weeks. A short demo ride won't tell you the whole story, especiallly for cruisers.

First, I like hard lockable bags. You can get cruiser that have those, but usually on big heavy baggers.

Second, the upright - or even laid back - cruiser ergo just don't sit well with me. It puts all my weight on my and doesn't allow me to stand up when I go over rough pavement and bumps.

Thirdly, I don't like riding behind a big barn door of a windshield, which chokes out all the cooling breeze in Texas summer heat.

So 8 bikes later, I'm down to the Concours 14 and the SV. I've got them set up as the sport-TOURER and SPORT-touer. They cover 95% of the riding spectrum I'd like to do. Only thing not covered is the full-on -to-the-wall performance sportbike riding. With a bit of suspension tweaking, the SV might just cover that too.

If you like the Guzzi style and power characteristics, Norge 8V is a fantastic long hauler. Or if your inseam allows it, Stelvio.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Triumph Sprint ST or Speed Triple can do all of the above.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Samurai View Post
Triumph Sprint ST or Speed Triple can do all of the above.
I'd recommend the Sprint GT. Had an '09 Srpint ST, and all my complaints were fixed in the GT. Macuso SW has a silver '11 or ('12?). Very nice.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

It's gotta be light, comfortable, and look good too.

It's gotta have places to put your things. Real things.
I used to carry a huge Rubbermaid container everywhere that I strapped to my back seat with bungee cords. Never did need proper moto luggage.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

For light duty touring you should try a few mods before looking at a whole new bike, after all the base V7 is meant for solo touring. A detachable windshield, lowered pegs, and risers would turn your racer into a tourer in the space of thirty minutes. Converting back would be a cinch as well!

Edit: The basics, like a 200+ mile range and shaft drive, are all there. The only things holding the racer back from some long hauls are really superficial.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
monstermanus

Bike(s):
ducati monster (sold )
Ducati streetfighter

Send a message via AIM to monstermanus Send a message via Yahoo to monstermanus
How about a Ducati mutistrada or divel they are pretty cool
monstermanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Hey dad, get a TMAX.

Never had a problem with wind buffeting or crosswinds or the like.

However, youd have to have big ballz to do so.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Had this same revelation in October. Traded my tracked out R6 for a vstar. I kept my R1 but love the cruiser now. Got it for longer rides and so the lady would comfy on the back. It is my every day bike and I commute 4 days a week on it.

Yes it is loud. Yes it doesnt go very fast. But I get this silly grin everytime I ride it.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I'd recommend the Sprint GT. Had an '09 Srpint ST, and all my complaints were fixed in the GT. Macuso SW has a silver '11 or ('12?). Very nice.
GT is dope
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #16
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Just looked up the F800GT. Very nice package and very lightweight, but prolly BMW expensive. My guess is, for the same coin, you can buy a brand new C14/FJR1300/VFR1200/Norge/etc. If you want to stay lightweight, you can always build your own lightweight Sport Tourer, by adding aftermarket top case and panniers. In some ways, I kinda prefer it that way, rather than get one with all OEM bags. That's what I'm doing with the SV. Go to http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ and browse around to see what you can do with which bike. Get them to send you a catalog, which shows you glossies on most of the popular bikes rigged up for touring duty.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

I have considered the Aprilia Futura and the Ducati ST3 or ST4s which can be had for reasonable amounts. I have toured on my Triple a lot and it just takes a little more dedication knowing I'll be a little less comfortable and it'll be a bit more of a pain in the to load all my on the bike.

Though a cruiser has not crossed my mind. The Griso is the closest to a cruiser I'll be for a long time I think. The Griz is no slouch but a bit more comfy than my Speed Triple.
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

If you are serious I've got a line on an 05 VFR with 1700 miles for 4k. Motivated seller.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #19
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Thumbs up

Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
If you are serious I've got a line on an 05 VFR with 1700 miles for 4k. Motivated seller.
^ You can get hard locking bags and trunk for this guy. Throw on a touring windshield and heated grips, and you're set. Plus, it's fuel injected!
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement