Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
Another Short Asian
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

Originally Posted by j_e_hurst View Post
Buy whatever you want. what everyone says about not starting on a supersport. Take your msf though. Because its required, but you don't learn a thing and its boring as !
This guy speaks for himself, I learned quite a bit and had a blast.
My Cafe Racer build...
CBR_TRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

2003 Honda Cbr600F4i
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ex250 (Sold)

+1 to Tran
Michael2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #23
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Back on a GSXR!!! 08 600

Just to many people around here with the mentality of "oh you need to start on a250, and take the msf course its so amazing and will teach you all kinds of stuff" Its not necessary to start on a 250. If some one wants to start on a bigger bike, so be it. Is it more dangerous? Probably so. But so is everything else. And in my opinion the msf is a load of . Just another stupid regulation.
JoshSigpic zps240ea710
j_e_hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
Thread killer
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

MSF = Motorcycle Safety Foundation

They've put together a list of things they feel every new/beginning rider should know (amongst other things). There's actually 2 classes:

BRC - Basic Rider Course
ERC - Experienced Rider Course

The BRC is what everyone's referring to when they say to take the "MSF". Texas has taken this class and made it mandatory. At the end of the class you take both a written test and a riding test. If you pass (it's easy!) you get a certificate to take to the DPS office. They make you take another test on computer; DPS does not make you take a riding test (in fact it's not an option).

They'll issue you a new licence with an "M" (motorcycle) class endorsement, i.e. "getting your M".

I paid $175 for the class; the price is set by the state so this is a roughly universal price. DPS charged me a measly 8 bucks for my "M" license. The class is determined by a set number of hours; it takes either 2 or 3 days.

Awesome is the name of a really popular school here in Houston; there's several to choose from. I highly recommend Awesome, as will most other people here.

There's no single right answer when it comes to choosing a first bike. I tend to side with the people who advise starting off on a 250, but there's still a ton of people who start on a 600.

And if you still have your heart set on an R6...
The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote