Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
Think Fast
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Suzuki GS500 2002

I've had those problems before.

Run seafoam through it.
Also check battery connections.

Those symptoms appeared and vanished eventually.

I have a carbed bike too.
Doesnt seem serious.
And I'm saying nothing in the past or future ever will feel like today

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything happening tonight? boeing777 Events, Meets and Rides 17 07-27-2013 06:10 AM
N Anything happening tonight the_laydown Events, Meets and Rides 0 01-01-2012 05:19 PM
What's Happening Tonite... Pachuco Events, Meets and Rides 31 09-05-2009 07:39 PM
The Happening.... NorthHoustonGSXR Off Topic 52 06-17-2008 10:13 AM
Anything happening tonight?????? mattj1094 Events, Meets and Rides 26 04-06-2008 10:08 AM
Old 11-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #22
slow as molasses

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

2010 YAMAHA R1

Originally Posted by PinkDawnCBR600 View Post
Hey all. So I'm a new rider and I understand new riders usually wreck, but I think a serious mechanical problem caused my accident yesterday. So I bought this 1996 CBR 600 from a guy about a month ago. He said he had just changed out the spark plugs and that the bike rode fine. He also mentioned he never used to clutch to switch gears yadda yadda.

About 3 weeks ago after having it a couple weeks I was driving in 3rd gear and all of sudden the Bike started to slow and the Rpm's started going down for no reason. I wasn't braking and wasn't touching the clutch. It's like the bike had lost power to the throttle for some reason. I immediately grabbed the clutch and pulled off the road and came to a stop, threw it into neutral and sat there a minute, then slowly road around the block a couple times and it seemed to be fine.

About a week later the bike died in a bank parking lot and I had to replace the battery because it was dead. So, yesterday I'm riding and the bike starts acting really funny and not wanting to go into gear. The brake was ridiculously touchy and the bike died in 1st a couple of times and then wouldn't shift out of neutral. About half a mile down the road it started to lose power again to the throttle. I was in 2nd and noticed the bike slowing and losing power again. Before I could grab the clutch the RPM's went through the roof and the bike took off and subsequently ran right out from under be.... Literally.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm a noob I know but I seriously think mechanically something malfunctioned causing the wreck.
How bad was the wreck? Hopefully you had all your gear on.
B.T.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

Lots of good posts on here. For one, bikes have problems. I (um, we all) sympathize; just think of your experience as a "welcome to the club". Riding can be more of an expensive lifestyle than most people expect, especially because of the cost of maintenance/repair, safety gear etc.

Wish I could tell ya what's wrong. Do invest in knowledge; getting a diagnostics and repair manual (and using it) is somewhere between "lifesaver" and flat-out necessity.

Like so many others have said, talk to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited (Motorcycles Unlimited). I'm no stranger to a service department; Motorcycles Unlimited will fix only what's wrong, and inspect as much as they reasonably can to let you know what else needs attention. Any other place -seriously, anywhere - will twist your arm for an upsell. Either they just put an overpriced band-aid on whatever's wrong so that you have to keep bringing your bike in for the same repairs, or they'll break something else.

- - - -

Anyway, good luck. Hope you're ok and heal up from the accident - since you didn't say anything about getting carted off in the amber-lamps or meeting a cute nurse in the ICU we'll assume you're still in one piece. Don't get discouraged, keep riding. Oh, and keep the bike you're on: fixing problems is inevitable, and the knowledge you gain will be priceless.
The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
SE Asian

Experience: 3 years

'12 Diavel "Little Red"

Sorry to hear about the accident, hope it doesn't scare you away from riding. As other said, a full checkup would worth the money.
DuckySTi is offline   Reply With Quote