MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
grsa

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Observations of two track days in one week.

Two track days in one week. My first track day was at Texas World Speedway sponsored by AF1 and Aprilia, my second was with FastLine. Both events were held on days that started off cold and by afternoon the temp was just right. I rode to both events and was glad I had on my freezeout balaclava and winter gloves. A few cups of coffee once arriving and I was good. Why they start so early I don’t know.

The Aprilia day was great for getting out and riding, not too much instruction but enough so you would not get into trouble. Did a few Round Robins, 4-5 people follow an instructor and then start rotating positions by dropping down on a straight and the followers pass. Pretty easy concept to grasp. After that it was basically group riding. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is fast, in the straight the Aprilias must have been going 150 to 160 and the first turn coming off the bank can be intimidating.

Fastline, what can I say the track is great, lots of turns to keep you interested and the instructors awesome. Lots of MH people there and you got a chance to see what they can do off the street, glad they ride moderately on our group rides. Had a chance to get one on one instruction with Dean and he let me know what I was doing right and wrong. Understanding the track dynamics such as entering, apex and exiting were helpful. Knowing when to brake, where the bumps are how to lean and use your pegs was very informative. These concepts right here will make a person a better rider on the street.

One mindset you need to get over is the use of mirrors. We use mirrors on the street to know where traffic is, when the cagers and getting close and they help us feel safer. Track is a bit different, no need for mirrors. As I was told they are a distraction, the people in back of you should be looking where they are going, so forget the mirrors and ride your ride.

Other tips:
Ride your Ride, in other words being consistent is paramount to a safe time. People in back of you find it difficult to pass if you are going all over the track.
Listen to the instructors, they are there to help and critique is important. Feedback I received was to slow down in the corners and I wish I had my go pro on when you were dragging hard parts, there were a lot of sparks shooting out.
Clutchless shifting, instructors mentioned this and having practiced a bit I decided to give it another try. It does reduce the time in going into gear. Learn this *upshift only for the record.
Drink a lot of water
Watch out for Tim’s beans if they are offered.
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renting a Goldwing for 3 days in Palmsprings next week-need routes BYRDMAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 05-13-2011 12:13 PM
texas track days*ride smart*lone star track days DC_The_Boss Taking it to the Track 57 03-19-2009 10:26 PM
You may be getting mail delivered only five days a week Squoddybody Off Topic 10 01-28-2009 04:18 PM
HOLY ! 1 WEEK & 5 DAYS! Mrs. ~T~ Off Topic 20 03-03-2008 11:22 AM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Those beans are extra hp
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Lucar

Member Garage

Nice
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

went to both events and had fun at both events, but only fastline offered the beans!

perforated leathers ftw...
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
joeybaila

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 3 years

2010 too fiddy

another coming soon....

Nice video bro, Glad you had a great time, it was good to see you out at the track, we know how many back road rides we have been on ,
Old 11-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmonkey View Post
went to both events and had fun at both events, but only fastline offered the beans!

perforated leathers ftw...
And only ...(name with held) spilled the beans, but the resilience he has he was able to ride again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybaila View Post
Nice video bro, Glad you had a great time, it was good to see you out at the track, we know how many back road rides we have been on ,
Thanks Joey, you all looked fast out there and I had a great time. Definitely need some more seat time though and yes those backroads have seen us a few times.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Th beans were the shyte.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
grsa

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

Dean showing me the lines.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Excellent and congrats again! Dunno if I will ever be up for a track day or not.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Excellent and congrats again! Dunno if I will ever be up for a track day or not.
You should see what it is all about. Wether or not you do it with Fastline, RideSmart, TrackTactics, Whoopies or anyone else. You may learn something. It is all about practice and learning in a safer place than the street.
I am sure ridesmart has a day comming up next month on the first and second. You can get half off and get free leather and boot rental for your fist time. You dont have to ride fast to go to the track.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
TMAX
Forever MODERATE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
TMAX (Retired in California)
Xciting 500
XT 225
Duke 2
C14 & FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
you ought to try it.
TMAX is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement