MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Neversatisfied02

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

What is a good set of aftermarket tires for my bike???

Alright guys,
Im running lower and lower on the list of things to do to the bike so im thinking id like to ditch the stock tires and pick up a nice set of tires on it next. Bike is an 06 ZX6r and i have the Bridgestone Batlax tires on there from the factory. Front still looks new and rear is getting a little worn now but not bad at all. Still has plenty of tread all the way around, just looking to upgrade to a better tire.

What brand/model would you guys suggest? I want something that will perform well under aggressive riding but also something that will last longer than a week! lol I was thinking Pilot Powers but ive never used them before so im looking for some options and suggestions on which ones i should consider or avoid or if the tires i am running are good enough to just keep running after i wear these out?

Also, Im considering going to a 190/50/17 for the rear instead of the stock 180/55/17. What would be the advantages or disadvantages to doing this? I just like the wider tire look but if its a bad idea, ill stick with the 180.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks, Taylor
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Good Aftermarket Fairings ProvorseD General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-18-2015 08:40 PM
what are some good aftermarket stuff for your bike? KZEEY General Discussion (Moto Related) 71 05-03-2013 12:07 PM
Which next set of tires should I get? Dread6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 07-31-2011 10:12 PM
Looking for a set of tires ? eddiechacon General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-08-2011 10:13 PM
The million dollar question: Who makes GOOD fitting aftermarket fairings? Alleykat General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 07-16-2010 12:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
^^^^^ what he said
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED METAL
metzler m3's or pirelli corsas3 or the mich. 2ct's

and i'm not sure but i'd stay away from the 190...unless u have a 1k rim to fit it on....180's r cheaper and from what i hear they turn into corners easier and quicker...
Ok, if thats the case, ill stick to a 180 tire.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
delinquent

Bike(s):
2007 Triumph Speed Triple

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to delinquent
Pirelli Dragon, thats the best tire.
delinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED METAL
metzler m3's or pirelli corsas3 or the mich. 2ct's

and i'm not sure but i'd stay away from the 190...unless u have a 1k rim to fit it on....180's r cheaper and from what i hear they turn into corners easier and quicker...
+1
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Bridgestone BT002 :
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

All of the tires that are currently being offered by the major manufacturers are really good, especially for street use.
All have a "characteristic" endemic to the design, but at the end of the day, they all can outperform how most of us ride, especially if you're not searching for the outer limits of traction on the track.

IMO, one of the main questions that you need to answer is; what's higher on your list; mileage or traction?

I'm not saying that it's an either / or decision, but there is a dividing line; you can have great mileage with good traction to 8/10ths riding, or you can have great traction at a "race pace" but with reduced mileage.

To a certain extent you also need to be realistic about your riding style and abilities.

If you're the average motorcyclist that's just street riding, even at a fairly agressive pace, you really can't tell the difference between say a Pilot Road, Pilot Power or Power 2CT, IMO.

The only difference you'll be able to tell is in your wallet when you have to change the tires more frequently if you go with a "track day specific" over a more "general purpose" tire.

I'd beware of some of the advice you may get from riders that proclaim:
"Get this tire! It's the !!"
Especially when all they've ridden on is 1 or 2 different sets of tires.
It's really hard to get an objective opinion from someone that has a very limited range of experience.

Taylor,
I know I probably didn't give you the answer you were looking for, i.e.; "This tire is the !"
But, I hope I gave you, and some of the others, some parameters to use when making your next tire choice.

As usual, my 2 cents, YMMV.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

One last thing on the 180 vs 190 debate. If you're street riding, and your bike came with a 180, I'd recommend staying with it.
A 190/50 will negatively change the geometry, and because of it's flatter profile, it will slow down your turning.

For track use however, the current trend seems to be moving towards a 190/55 set up, although some of it is subjective to a racers riding style.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 02-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Swift E

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

^ The 180 rear as well as the geometry set up you have done on the Honda has made a wold of diffrence :
Old 02-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Bridgestone
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
metzler
Old 02-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
qwezy

i would try pirreli corsa tire-cost a little more than power pilot but it "bite" the road both "concrete and ashfault" pavement well,less time "warming up" needed,tread pattern is distintive on low/high speed-dry/wet (you don't ride in the rain any way)-single/dual riders...etc.just my guess.
180 or 190 ? it depend on alotof facts that may involve...like "why choose 190 instead of factory set up for 180 ?"---for "look" or "more traction" or "handle more carrying weight".most 180 have 71W or 73W but 190 may have 75W-same speed rated W(168 mph) but more weight.plus 190 is 50 series verse 55 series on 180 mean less "radial movement" even on low tire pressure....alotof things.don't let me "confuse" you.
highly reccomd. ride your bike to Motorcycles Unlimited and talk to Patrick.
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #14
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwezy
ride your bike to Motorcycles Unlimited and talk to Patrick.
thats all you had to say brotha
Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Powers, Corsas are great I have them both and multiple sets. Didn't like the M1's but thats just my opinion. The Bt014's that came with my bike were so so and more on the negative than the positive side of so so. I'll probably be mounting a set of 2CT's in the near future or Pilot powers.

My .02
Old 02-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #16
qwezy

:notworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio
thats all you had to say brotha
ye,what else you me to type in ? !!!
qwezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
All of the tires that are currently being offered by the major manufacturers are really good, especially for street use.
All have a "characteristic" endemic to the design, but at the end of the day, they all can outperform how most of us ride, especially if you're not searching for the outer limits of traction on the track.

IMO, one of the main questions that you need to answer is; what's higher on your list; mileage or traction?

I'm not saying that it's an either / or decision, but there is a dividing line; you can have great mileage with good traction to 8/10ths riding, or you can have great traction at a "race pace" but with reduced mileage.

To a certain extent you also need to be realistic about your riding style and abilities.

If you're the average motorcyclist that's just street riding, even at a fairly agressive pace, you really can't tell the difference between say a Pilot Road, Pilot Power or Power 2CT, IMO.

The only difference you'll be able to tell is in your wallet when you have to change the tires more frequently if you go with a "track day specific" over a more "general purpose" tire.

I'd beware of some of the advice you may get from riders that proclaim:
"Get this tire! It's the !!"
Especially when all they've ridden on is 1 or 2 different sets of tires.
It's really hard to get an objective opinion from someone that has a very limited range of experience.

Taylor,
I know I probably didn't give you the answer you were looking for, i.e.; "This tire is the !"
But, I hope I gave you, and some of the others, some parameters to use when making your next tire choice.

As usual, my 2 cents, YMMV.

Thanks for the help man! Honestly, i am an experienced rider but im obviously not a pro rider/racer by anymeans. I wouldnt want to run an all out race tire for daily street use as i wouldnt be able to use it to its absolute full potential on the street anyhow and it would wear entirely too fast for the pocket book to be replacing them that often! I suppose im looking for a tire with excellent traction but also good tread life if thats possible to find in one tire. Im just wanting to make sure i have a tire that will outperform me as i would hate to push the bike hard into a corner and have it slide out due to running a crappy set of tires on the bike. I dont mind paying extra for quality tires!

IMO, penny pinching when it comes to buying streetbike tires or a helmet is just plain ignorant! Your life is depending on both of them when riding the bike.

As for the 190/180 question, ill probably just stick with a 180. The bike is setup for that size already and it will work fine for me, i kinda like that look of the wider tire but not if it will make the handling of the bike suffer.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Oh, the Batlax's i have on the bike right now from the factory are an alright set but i prob wouldnt buy them again!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #18
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Keep in mind, the BT014's that came with your bike are different than the BT014's you buy off the shelf. Typically they are not as sticky.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

With that said... I would go with the Pilot Roads... great traction for everyday riding and the occasional twisties and awesome length in the life of the tire.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I liked the Metzlers, but they seemed to wear pretty fast, My BT014's lasted longer and stuck great even at a "spirited" pace

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement