Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Official MH tag inspector
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I wear a Cortech leather/textile/mesh pretty much year round, and an un-perforated leather when it gets cold enough.

Pure mesh won't cut it in a crash, it tends to melt.. I bought this one as it had a spine protector, leather on the normal impact areas, and textile/mesh combo over the rest. Airflow is great and it comes with a liner, altho I size my summer jackets to fit snug without the liner.

What ever you choose it needs to fit correctly to hold the armor in place and not twist around. One that fits snug with the liner(s) in place will be far too loose when worn without.
sig pic
A wise man once told me: "No matter how fine she is, just remember. Somewhere, someone is tired of her !"
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denim/Kevlar vs Textile BaliusXanthus Gear Talk 3 08-15-2011 02:00 PM
Kevlar or steel Schmitty General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-07-2007 01:48 PM
hot weather - Mesh Vs Perforated leather R6_htown Gear Talk 26 04-10-2007 10:14 AM
kevlar vs ss rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 04-14-2006 10:23 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
Fava Beans & a Chianti
Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

A mesh jacket is mostly just a placeholder for the armor pieces. I look at the scars on my track suit from a minor low side and the impact areas are all where there are armor behind it. I have perf'ed and non-perf'ed leather and wear them as often as I can tolerate, but mesh with armor is still better than riding squid.

I'm still working on tolerating the Houston summer heat. There are weeks that I just don't bother to ride - even with mesh. Motorcycling is supposed to be fun. When it ain't, I don't ride.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

2013 Honda CB1100
1983 Montesa Cota 349
1970 Honda SL100
2008 KTM 990 SuperDuke (Sold)
1997 Buell Cyclone (Sold)

Member Garage

Originally Posted by lone_rider View Post
This is probably what the OP is asking about. I am considering purchasing one of their kevlar mesh jackets.

I have no experience with it but there is a thread in the gear section of the forum, from a member that purchased some.
That would be me. Before buying their gear, I did hours upon hours of research. Their Kevlar is TEN TIMES stronger, and more abrasion resistant than leather. That, and leather degrades with sweat. Someone earlier mentioned that you don't see any racers in gear other than leather. Has nothing whatsoever to so with leather being better, or stronger. It purely comes down to sponsorship and marketing budget.

The big name leather guys put free suits on the top riders, to get their name out there in front of everyone. Motoports gear is fully approved, by the regulating bodies, for racing use to the highest level. In fact, they are the ONLY non-leather product that is. They just don't have the bucks (or maybe desire) to put a suit on Lorenzo, Pedrosa, etc.

Stay away from ALL of the textile products, short of 1,000 denier Cordura. Everything else is all but worthless for abrasion strength.

As far as your actual question goes, the full Kevlar "Air Mesh" jacket and pants are absolutely AMAZING in Texas summer heat. No way that perforated leather can even begin to come close. In fact, even my old (now too smart to wear) mesh textile gear didn't come close, for air flow, and cooling.

Highly recommend the Motoport Kevlar gear! My problem now is that if flows air so well, I am going to have to figure out how to stay warm, in winter.
Making it harder to go to since 1999 - (

Last edited by DGShannon; 11-13-2012 at 02:37 PM.
DGShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Custom User Title
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Originally Posted by Rael View Post
I'd prioritize armor over abrasion resistance for the street. You are pretty likely to hit something before you slide too far, there isn't a runoff zone on the street. Leather may last you more than one crash though.

For year round commuting I use a textile jacket with a good thermal liner and lots of vents. Above 90 degrees you are going to sweat in any jacket, and a vented textile is almost as good as mesh once you start moving. The upside, and selling point, is for cool, but not cold weather it works as a windbreaker.
What he said.

My 2c: I use This olympia motorsports' AST2 (all season touring 2) jacket but I wouldn't recommend it 'cause it leaks in the rain. I've ridden with that jacket from 27 - 107 F (liner and sweater - wicking tshirt). I feel that street riding the ability of the cagers to see you is better than the added abrasion resistance of leather. I will buy something similar, but get one that actually works better for the rain. Don't forget: good gloves, boots, over-pants, knee pads, and full face helmet or else why worry about just the jacket?
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote