MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

TORCS Pierce Ranch race report

I had just got home on Sunday from the GNCC race pumped up about that, tired as but, I couldn't wait till this Saturday to start racing all over again, this week could not have gone by slower and Friday was the worst day time wise all week long.

Friday night after work, we loaded up the trailer, fueled up and headed to El Campo for the TORCS race. Once we arrived at the property (about 10pm) we parked the trailer with the front door right in front of some good ole fresh cow *t, so I had to move over a bit Once we had the trailer set in a good spot, we unhooked, unloaded lit up the generator and set up a couple chairs and a table, and promptly opened up the Vodka for a night cap. Got a couple visitors come over to chat till about midnight then we called it a night and went to bed, first practice starts at 8:10 for Olivia in Womens C..

We get up at 6:30, she starts getting ready (geared up, she takes a while pre-coffee) while I go enter in our weekend races ( 2 races each for us) I spoke with Jackie about hopefully being able to race my recently bumped Open C class race as well as maybe trying the Open B race on Saturday afternoon. She exclaims that I have officially been bumped to Open B due to me basically destroying the C classes at the previous rounds, a little disappointed to hear that but it is what it is I guess. I get signed up for Open B on Saturday and 40B for Sunday.

With a little excitement about going to B, only b/c I've progressively gotten faster throughout this year, I'm fully prepared to go for it, I know the pace is going to be faster, way faster than what I'm used to b/c i'm not normally being pushed by other riders, and I know in the back of my mind that being out with only A, B, and Pro level riders the pace is going to be immensely higher.

The morning race in Womens C, Olivia is pumped up, I give her the best talk that I can about pushing hard and going fast everywhere you can. Her course is short and she has 5 other competitors. She's only been riding for 5 months, after doing a GNCC race, she's done well, she's not scared to take on a huge challenge. She takes off, last as usual off the line(we have to work on her starts) I root her on to go fast and take chances, she promptly makes me very proud and makes a nice clean inside pass (flat track style) on her TTR-125 (thanks to Texas Tornado Boot Camp for some training) on the first lady ahead of her. Throughout the race I follow around the course to root her on, she's riding faster than she ever has in the past, she's on her last lap, in 2nd position on the rear tire of 1st place, she tries to make a sketchy pass and ends up crashing, immediately losing one spot to 3 place, she gets picked up and back on two wheels and heads to the finish line to end up in 3rd spot.

Next up are the big boys, I'm so nervous about this first B race, I have a bad plan but, can I keep to my plan and do what I need to do??? I guess 70 minutes from now I'll find out if my plan goes well or not..

The race starts, Open B is the last row of riders, the start format is live engine, off the bike straddling the front tire, GREAT, I've never done this before.. The flag is raised and we're off, I get on the bike clean and quick but, I'm 5th through T1, in a very short period of time, I'm up into 4th spot, biding my time (we have 3 easy/hard log crossings in the course) I know the penalty ride arounds are flat (advantage ME) so I just settle in behind #2, the pace is fast, I'm pushing my self hard way too early but, I'm putting pressure on #2 spot and riding smart so I settle down just a bit, he gets a little ground on me and that's fine b/c we have 70 minutes of racing and the course is 90% whoops type single track trails. Coming up to the 2nd log crossing, P1 is tied up, P2 is planning to cross so he gets hung up too, (this is where my plan comes together) I go around P1 and P2 all in 1 short penalty easy turn and pour to coals to my little 2 stroke. I don't know how long they were hung up b/c I never saw them again until the race was over, I pushed myself hard for 3 laps, passing slower riders that started minutes ahead of me, I know I have a good fast pace and I'm comfortable with so I keep it. Throughout the first 3 laps, nobody passed me at all, until the beginning of the 4th lap, I slow my pace a bit (I figure I have a good lead by now and I'm physically exhausted) I need to recover some energy, our course is the bumpiest thing I've ever ridden, there are no rest areas, my hands are hurting badly with new blisters, callous on top of callous. I finally get passed but had no idea what class he was in and really I didn't care too much at this point (I had been going flat out for 3 laps, about 50 minutes or so, not something I'm used to doing. At the end of my fourth lap, there sits a guy just outside of scoring where we exit the course, he's waiting for me, to talk to me about the pass that he made on me (not what I would consider sketchy or really close) he was waiting to apologize for that pass. He ended up being in my class, when he passed me he picked up his pace and ended up winning our Saturday race.

I had a great first Open B race, way better than I had anticipated for sure. I got my opportunity to finally stand on the podium, collect my winnings ( a nice 2nd place medal ) it would have been better to get 1st but at least I was the 1st loser that day in our class.

Come Sunday morning, several racing/riding buddies show up, unfortunately, we've raced together all year long, now that I'm in B class races, I can no longer race with them, I went out on the course, rooted them on and took some pics and vids, they all did great considering how tough the course was but at least there was no sand anywhere on the course unlike our last race.

Now for the last race of the day, I'm on the 40+B line (as Lostner said, I'm the youngest B rider there, my birthday was this past Monday) there are quite a few guys on my line, I'm nervous again, the same live engine, straddle the front tire start, I wanted the holeshot, I had planned to kill these guys off the line and keep a fast consistent pace for the whole race, I didn't want to slow down any at all and lose my first place if I was lucky enough to make up that high in my class. This race proved to be even faster paced than Saturday's race, once we set off, I was quickly in 3rd place, right on P2's , I follow till I can safely get around (not too many passing zones as this is mostly a single track course) finally, I get around P2 and then moved onto P1, I follow closely behind, I could tell I was putting the pressure on him as he made a few mistakes but, was able to stay in front of me. As we exit the wooded area, we have some nice flat, smooth turns (again, advantage to me) (thinking in my mind "I was here yesterday, I need to swing out wide, slide the back end around and take the outside line, I know this guy doesn't know this line, he wasn't here yesterday and I can take him here") sure enough, he takes the slower inside line, I pass him making a straight out of a slight left hand turn, running up under some low lying branches, with my rear tire kicked out throwing all kinds of , I quickly start losing him, this pumps me up. Now that I'm in the lead, I know I have to stay strong, ride and race a smart race just in case anyone comes up my tail..

Again, I'm making lots of passes on the rows ahead of me, this keeps me going strong, when you're in the zone, in the woods and you see another rider ahead, or dust in the air, you know someone is close and you push to get around that person. I remain strong until the beginning of the 4th lap with just under 15 minutes till the end of the race, at this point I was racing the clock, at first I wanted to be quick enough to be able to get a 5th lap, I know in my mind that I've already pushed myself beyond my limit, a 5th lap is going to kill me should I get it, I keep pushing, having yet again, a flawless race, no mistakes at all, no crashes, no run in with trees, no hickups, just solid riding (I'm quite proud of myself, I'm getting better and way faster quicker than I imagined I would).

At the end of my forth lap, I start slowing down, I know I have this one in the bag for sure, my boys Lee, Casper and Steve were all out to see me fly by early on in the race (Lee has me a fresh clean pair of goggles waiting at scoring when I come through on the end of my 2nd lap, I didn't need them but, that pumped me up aslo, I appreciate the gesture a lot Lee) I remembered this throughout my 3rd and 4th laps, that helped me keep going, I knew I couldn't slow down much at all, only long enough to catch a little bit of a recharge, I didn't want to disappoint the guys who stayed waiting on me, supporting me out there. As my race ended, I was whooped (literally with all of the bumps, jumps and rough spots on the course) tired, soaked head to toe from sweating, my nose was running so I also had snot all over my face , at scoring, the clock read 0, (frkn awesome, I don't have to do another lap) I knew I had won that one for sure, It was a tough ride, a smart race on my part and I kept my head down..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote