MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
lucydad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

new Norton Commandos...RPM cycle...

MH,

My buddy Mitch is restoring a vintage Norton 850 Commando. That got me thinking and I did some Googleing and found Norton has resurrected from the dead in England. And they are importing to the USA. And RPM cycle in TEXAS is listed as a dealer. A search there found nothing, but they did list Norton.

Does anyone here know anything about Norton's actually shipping to the USA, and RPM? The bikes look phenomenal, and also very expensive since they are very small production.

Oh, and check out the December Cycle World, page 22. As a Guzzi owner, I am pleased to see CW "get it". The letter writer from Sioux City needs to pull his head out of his own "".

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Norton transformer houmax Vintage / Cafe Racers 10 02-17-2013 06:07 PM
Norton Commando Transformer Grinchy General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-30-2009 09:47 AM
How do you Ride High RPM OR Low RPM Bobbarker20 Gear Talk 3 10-02-2008 06:26 PM
stupid norton pester Off Topic 8 09-24-2007 01:34 PM
Norton BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 01-27-2006 06:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
white_335i

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2012 RC8R

The bike looks good. I always wanted one. May be I will pick one up if they ship them here. But 14K british pound is expensive.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

There have been many complaints about the new Nortons, not with the bike itself, if only because precious few bikes have actually been delivered.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/08/nortongate/

They are gorgeous bikes though.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i saw a norton on the road the other day. i dont know if it was old or new, since it's pretty much the same bike, but it was pretty cool looking...
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
bradtx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

I saw a pair of the new Nortons at, I think, the 2006 Houston bike show. I talked with them awhile and although they'd had positive interest from riders, they were having a hard time attracting American investors. A lot of engineering went into designing a modern engine that still had the unique Norton look.

Brad
Old 11-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Not quite Norton Commando but from the same genre:

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/RoyalEnfield.aspx
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Love the Royals...wow.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
grsa

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
V-Strom 650
Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie

The new Royal Enfield cafe looks good.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KjptRj-Ucf...12.Photo-1.jpg
Something about being built in India now though.
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer New Model India Auto Expo 2012Photo 1
grsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

grsa,

That cafe is pure style. It looks like a real motorcycle to me, but I am an old guy. But old guys rule. When my friend Mitch has his Norton running we plan on a bike swap. He wants to try my small block Guzzi. Maybe the thought is to find a restored old Norton Commando? Too bad, or maybe a good thing I don't have a 3 car garage....it could get pretty expensive, but fun...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

If there are more decent motorcyle roads around SL and Missouri City, I would love to get one of these cafe racers or retro. All the good routes I know are at least 1 hr away. Not for slicing and dicing, but some scenic winding roads that don't have stop signs every 1-2mins.

Just putt-putting around the neighborhood, the only bike I had recently that "felt right" for that was the S83 cruiser.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Volfy,

Wow I hear you! I grew up riding around my home town of Durango, CO. SW Colorado is full of country roads, windy canyons, scenery beyond belief and empty lonely fast stretches. One of the things that stopped me many years from getting back into riding: our crappy Houston area roads and flatness and traffic and..and.
We do have four season riding. The bikes got put to bed in Colorado this time of year and not taken out until April or May. But, we had snowmobiles.

I like rides outbound Ft. Bend county. My favorite is to Brazos Bend park and vicinity. I may extend down to the coast, but not Galveston. I have a brother in law that lives in Bulverde, TX north of San Antonio. Riding there is great, but the traffic and deer make it very hazardous. There are lots of twisties and hills.

Motorcycle heaven must be some place in Wyoming, in the summer.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Volfy,

Wow I hear you! I grew up riding around my home town of Durango, CO. SW Colorado is full of country roads, windy canyons, scenery beyond belief and empty lonely fast stretches. One of the things that stopped me many years from getting back into riding: our crappy Houston area roads and flatness and traffic and..and.
We do have four season riding. The bikes got put to bed in Colorado this time of year and not taken out until April or May. But, we had snowmobiles.

I like rides outbound Ft. Bend county. My favorite is to Brazos Bend park and vicinity. I may extend down to the coast, but not Galveston. I have a brother in law that lives in Bulverde, TX north of San Antonio. Riding there is great, but the traffic and deer make it very hazardous. There are lots of twisties and hills.

We had sleds growing up in NY, but they dont seem to get much snow up there anymore. I cant believe people spend the money on brand new sleds, and sometimes only get to ride 3x/year.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
Volfy,

I have been to Durango several times with my job and each time I thought it would be nice to have a bike out there.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Yeah, it seems we trade year around riding weather for boring roads. I remember riding around Connnecticut, NYC and Buffalo, NY, where I went to school. I could easily find some rolling hills and winding back roads not from where I live. I would freeze my off and risking frost bitten fingers on a late Fall ride through the country side, but having both elevation changes as well as curves is a luxury we don't get much around here.

Or maybe like you said, we just appreciate the short riding season that much more.

Advertisement