MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Dumptruck

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
None
03 GSXR 1K Canadian Edition SOLD
05 SV650S SOLD
89 Katana SOLD

05 SV Suspension Upgrades

I've been doing some research on upgrading my suspension by upgrading to a GSXR or Kawi rear shock. There is soooo much info out there and I think I have decided to go the Kawi route and I have my eye on a 05 ZX6rr shock. One reason I decided on the ZX6rr shock is it's supposed to be an easy swap with minimal modification, it's more adjustable than the ZX6r shock, it has a heavier spring weight than most others (I'm 200 plus) and if I remember correctly it's the same length as the stock shock.

Anyone have any input or advice as to what shock is better and why?

Also i'm looking to do the same to the front and Ive read that some 636 and GSXR forks will swap right in with some brake and or wheel modification.

Any input on the front fork swap would be appreciated. Which swap is the easiest and what is needed?

I'm not particular on which fork swap I go with and I'm not planning on taking it to the track I just want a to upgrade the sorry suspension it came with. Plus it will help resale value.
Dumptruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xr100 suspension upgrades? Miniracer Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 11 10-29-2014 03:39 PM
Suspension upgrades zerobounds Performance and Modifications 8 01-24-2011 10:26 PM
Question about suspension upgrades. Street Ninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-01-2010 06:14 PM
bargain basement suspension upgrades Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 14 07-28-2009 03:00 PM
Suspension Upgrades For My '04 Z1000 robz1000 Performance and Modifications 10 05-09-2008 10:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

If you want easy on the front end, just go with RaceTec springs and valve emulators. Then upgrade to braided brake lines if you want more power there. Much easier than a fork swap IMHO. I run that combo on the track. I understand that a lot of people go with the fork swap to gain the better brakes from a Gixxer for for non track use the stock units are adequate.

I can't help on the rear though as I went with a Ohlins but I understand the Penske's are popular on svrider as well. But of course those routes are many hunderd $$$ more than getting a used Kawi shock off ebay that would work just as well for street use.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Dumptruck

Bike(s):
None
05 SV650S SOLD
89 Katana SOLD

I actually ran across your blog today during my searching.

I like to tinker with the bike so I think I will do the fork swap anyway if it does not turn out to be to expensive. I did read about the RaceTec option today.

I do not want to spend the coin on an aftermarket shock so I think for me the swap is the best way to go.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

I have gsxr front and I had gsxr 1k rear...I went back to stock on the rear though, it would run wide in corners...haven't looked at kawi, but I would say just keep the stock rear...bike runs much better that way
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Dumptruck

Bike(s):
None
05 SV650S SOLD
89 Katana SOLD

Interesting....
You are the first person I've seen that said keep the rear. What year SV do you have and what year GSXR forks? Did you do the swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburt1 View Post
I have gsxr front and I had gsxr 1k rear...I went back to stock on the rear though, it would run wide in corners...haven't looked at kawi, but I would say just keep the stock rear...bike runs much better that way
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

I bought the bike with the mods, I talked to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited (knows a lot about sv) he explained that the rear sv shock isn't that bad and the gsxr shock is a different length (only by a few mm) but enough to throw the geometry off and the handling..I asked about the kawi mod, for the money and time your better off buying a rear shock designed for that bike(he wasn't a fan of using wrong parts) I have an 05 bike with an 07 forks, brakes(oversized galfer) &a few other mods
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
TangoRangoEy
Banned

User is banned

TangoRangoEy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Put a Penske on the rear. And put f3 inner tubes and internals. Set one fork up for compression and the other for rebound.

Any other swap make sure to do adjustable triple clamps so can keep the Oem rake&trail. Just bolting on Gsxr forks will cause more harm than good except for the better brakes.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:22 AM   #9
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

To clarify, Joe has an SV1000, a completely different animal.
While I'd prefer to see an upgraded shock like a Penske or Ohlins on it, adding a GSXR shock can cuse issues.

Now to the thread starter:
On the SV650 front end I recommend either what Chris posted above using tje F3 inners or Race Teck springs and emulators.
The GSXR front end can cause as many issues as it solves imo.
I've set up some very fast SV650's running Race Tech components. Imo it's the best bang for the buck.

On the rear I recommend either a Penske or Ohlins shock.
While a ZX shock is a little better than stock, the spring rate and valving are far from optimal. Granted, anything is better than the stock pogo stick Suzuki uses for a shock on the 650, but a good shock transforms that bike.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Patrick built my 650, albeit, a first gen... it handled like a dream (street/track)

Ractech front, Ohlins double rear, and a scotts dampner.

Still to this day it was by far my favorite bike. Yes, even better than the 1k with full gold upgrades.

Op, have you searched for a used Ohlins or Penske rear? You should be able to pick one up for pretty cheap.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
TangoRangoEy
Banned

User is banned

TangoRangoEy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Race Tech up front and a (good) used rear shock out back that you can have serviced by one of our sponsors. 8 bills and then you can rail around the i4's in every corner.

My SV has an R1 front end and a Fox rear that works a treat. Combo above is the best bang for the buck.

Oh, and you may want to listen to that Romeo fella. He is pretty handy on an SV.
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
Dumptruck

Bike(s):
None
05 SV650S SOLD
89 Katana SOLD

Thanks for the info guys.
I need to do some additional research on the F3 inners. The Race Tech springs and gold emmulators are not really expensive.

Which is better the F3 route or the Race Tech route? Pretty much the same?

I picked up the ZX6rr shock last night(I'm not patient) and while it may not be an Ohlins or Penske, like Patrick said it will be an upgrade. Overall that is what I am trying to do is upgrade the suspension by getting the best bang for my buck.

I have not seen an aftermarket shock for the SV for less than a few hundred so I think for me and what I'm trying to accomplish while a Ohlins would be nice I cannot justify spending the money.

Any other input will be appreciated.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
TheVirus
Original OG

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2009 *Secret*

Well i am thinking of selling my SV soon. I have a Penske racing rear shock with remote reservoir that i could part out if someone doesn't want it. They are VERY good and top of the line. IT was quite expensive new.

Advertisement