MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

TORCS Abbott Ranch race report

I had been looking forward to this race all week long, Brandt D was gracious enough to allow me the use of his toyhauler for the weekend, which worked out great, the race was a solid 2 hr drive one way (Thanks Brandt). I purchased a new 2013 KTM 200 XC-W 2 stroke, itís been 5 years since I had rode a 2 stroke bike, I picked it up on Saturday, (didnít ride it at all) dropped it off on Monday with JM Racing Suspension to have them install my Rekluse clutch and my lowering kit, those guys again did a top notch job, the bike felt great suspension wise and the clutch is perfect..

Friday after work, I spent much of the evening (till 11:30) gathering last minutes needs, loading up gear and food into the trailer, got a shower, went to be excited to ride the new bike, couldnít fall asleep till sometime after 2 am. Woke up at 5 am to load the bikes, tools, fuel and the rest of the necessary needed items to go racing with. Hit the road right at 6 am, headed to Halletsville, TX, about an hour South of Columbus, great, I am driving a diesel truck pulling a 22í trailer and getting 8.6 mpg (fk me).. had to stop for fuel when I exited I-10 just in case. Arrived at the property right at 8 am, first practice (for the g/f) starts are 8:40 so we had limited time to get parked, unloaded and geared up, by the time all of this happens, bikes are out on the course practicing already.. Running out of time, she decides to skip practice and wait for the race, going in blind is sometimes the best way to race. Little did we know, the whole course is nothing but sand, I mean 100% of the course is sandy.. At race time, she lines up in her designated row, serious intense look in her eyes, then the flag drops, she takes off and runs her 45 minute race to finish up in 5th place, not too bad considering the sand was murderous to ride, especially for a beginner..

Come to big bike practice, Lee and I are ready to go, geared up, running a little late as usual, they release us out for practice, we head off at an easy pace, itís dusty, weíre getting sand blasted at every turn until the people spread out. We get about 75% through the course to a creek bed about 30í wide, on the other side is a gnarly hill climb, people are piling up, stalling, crashing, Lee decides to make his own new line and hits it perfectly, I decided to wait it out and hit the center line with no problems at all, after the hill climb youíre spit out back into the beach sandy creek bed with about a ľ mile run to the end, WOW, it was a miracle that I made it through w/o crashing..

As for the Saturday race, I thought I was prepared, the flag dropped and we all took off, T1 was a big nasty sand berm and if you werenít first, you were eating sand for a while. I didnít fare too well as I was sandwhiched between 2 bikes, I basically stopped in the middle of the berm to let them pass, (we have 70 minutes of racing action minimum) so I decide to let them clear out in front of me, Iíll catch them eventually. Man I really suck at sand riding and it showed, I canít remember how many times I ate in the first 2 miles of the course but I was passed by a ton of people, even Lee passed me and he started a row or two behind me, by this time I was (maybe I was riding too hard, too early) I eventually started catching up to people, I ran up on Lee who probably had a good minute or more lead on me, heís stuck behind another crasher, Lee is getting his bike up and ready to roll again as I narrowly miss him in passing.

By this time I think Iím rolling good, finding my sand legs, NOT, I keep plowing the front end and falling over (not really crashing) luckily I have the Rekluse to keep me from stalling, Iím crashing and falling like crazy for the first three laps and Itís so frustrating. I come upon a low lying, large branch, I thought I had ducked low enough but nope, sure enough, I tag it with the top of my helmet, it did NOT move at all, it knocks me off the back of the bike and the bike kept going for about 10 yards (Iím traveling at about 20 mph when I made impact) that hurt bad, an instant migraine type headache but I had to keep pushing on. On the exit of the woods sections, I kept turning in tight, in doing so, I always hit the low lying branches, ended up taking a chunk of meat out of my right forearm, on my 3rd lap, we had a small narrow but deep ravine to pass through, youíll want to keep hard left here, (trust me) when you go right, your bike stops instantly, the body keeps going, I have the imprint of a Scotts steering damper in the left side of my belly from hitting the bars, this crash set me back at least 2 full minutes to catch my breath and to figure out that no bones were broken.. I push on going as fast as I can (all the while, Iím on a brand new bike, a 2T at that, relieving myself of my 4T, this was a learning curve but the 2T KTM is a freaking beast) at the end of the 3rd lap, I come through with 11 minutes left on the clock, o well, push on and finish the race. My cardio had improved with some bicycle training as of late and a better diet, I ended up not crashing or falling on the whole 4th lap, I was riding good, making passes, but in the end I just settled in behind two riders in front of me, little did I know, by passing them when I had the chance I would have placed 2 positions higher in my class, I came to the checkered in 5th place, the difference between 2nd place and my 5th place finish was only 2 minutes, not too bad considering all that I had dealt with.

Sundays race went much better, I figured since all of the A, B and Pro riders went after us on Saturday that the course would be beat to , and it was but, I had found my sand legs late Saturday. I left out for one practice lap, and came in to refuel, rewater and mentally prepare for a win this time. Lining up, I look left then right, none of these guys were here yesterday (advantage to me) I knew I had to do my best to get out front as early as possible, the green flag goes up (we had live engine, left hand in the air starts, ( I have a Rekluse so I put her in 2nd) with throttle hand raring to go, bike in gear sitting pretty no need for the clutch, the flag flyís and I twist hard then brought my hand to bars, already in the lead I get the hole shot, I put my head down, eyes up and never looked back until the dreaded crash happens, my bike is upside down on a hill climb, all the 30+C riders pass me as I look at each one of them. I get the bike up and headed up the hill, off. I rode hard, reminded my self of many different techniques (that I teach to others) and put them to good use, I never crashed again, not even a fall over, I was learning how the 2T works in the sand for sure, I come through at the end of my 3rd lap with 10 minutes to go (another 70 minute race) I was a minute slower than Saturday somehow, even with all of the crashes so I pushed harder, I passed everyone in my class, started passing others in the rows ahead of, feeling good about my position, I settled in for a break, I just figured that I was either leading by now or not getting the top step.. I had a of a run, great racing action, and was feeling about half full physically still, I ended up not only with the hole shot but also took the win with a 7 Ĺ minute lead over 2 place..

Overall, we had a great weekend of racing, Iím more sore than I have ever been in my life, Iím bruised, battered, missing a chunk of flesh and meat but Iím happy with the results all things considered.

Now itís time to mentally prep for the biggest race of my life, Lee and I are headed to Hurricane Mills, TN to race in the last round of the GNCC at Loretta Lynns this weekend, please wish us luck..
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote