MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
Rondawg

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
CBR929rr

is it getting fuel, is the fuel pump priming
Rondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike wont start Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 12-12-2010 10:18 PM
first bike wont start yz117 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-14-2010 11:11 AM
bike wont start, help! SPHINX How To's and Q & A's 29 05-13-2008 07:57 AM
HELP my bike wont start 9teeneighty3 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 10-28-2007 10:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Sebadat

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondawg View Post
is it getting fuel, is the fuel pump priming
The 2007 Ninja's don't have a fuel pump. How would I check if its getting fuel though without buying a clear hose.
Sebadat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebadat View Post
The 2007 Ninja's don't have a fuel pump. How would I check if its getting fuel though without buying a clear hose.
You can remove the fuel line to the carbs, turn the petcock to res. or to prime if it's vacuum operated and fuel shold run out of the petcock. As an after thought, the vent line maybe stopped up, open the fuel cap to let air into the tank and see if it starts.

Brad
Old 10-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #24
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Use the starter fluid. If it starts with starter fluid and then dies then its not getting gas.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #25
Sebadat

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
You can remove the fuel line to the carbs, turn the petcock to res. or to prime if it's vacuum operated and fuel shold run out of the petcock. As an after thought, the vent line maybe stopped up, open the fuel cap to let air into the tank and see if it starts.

Brad
I did that but the fuel doesn't run until I hit the starter. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Dave View Post
Use the starter fluid. If it starts with starter fluid and then dies then its not getting gas.
I sprayed the starter fluid in the air filter and it didn't start. I also sprayed it into both spark plug openings and that also didn't work. I have no idea whats wrong.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #26
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Interesting
Sounds like you have fuel and spark

The following are a bit of a stretch

1) Is the carb opening when you turn the throttle. Since you need air too.
2) Check compression.
3) Is the battery strong - I once started an old KZ900 by pulling 2 of the plugs, this let the engine crank faster

Well with Fuel + Air + Spark + Compression + All arriving at the right time it should run

I have also had bikes that were very difficult to start without the air cleaner - not part of you original problem, but could affect your trouble shooting.

It will be interesting to hear what it is when you figure it out.

Best of Luck
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

Could it be totaly fluding out with too much fuel?
A float or needle and seat in the carb commig off could cause this
you would need to take the float bowls off to check.
If you get a real wet spark plug after cranking it could be too much fuel.

Just an after thought
Old 10-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
Sebadat

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1340HIGH View Post
Interesting
Sounds like you have fuel and spark

The following are a bit of a stretch

1) Is the carb opening when you turn the throttle. Since you need air too.
2) Check compression.
3) Is the battery strong - I once started an old KZ900 by pulling 2 of the plugs, this let the engine crank faster

Well with Fuel + Air + Spark + Compression + All arriving at the right time it should run

I have also had bikes that were very difficult to start without the air cleaner - not part of you original problem, but could affect your trouble shooting.

It will be interesting to hear what it is when you figure it out.

Best of Luck
How would I check if the carb is opening when I turn the throttle and how would I check the compression? The battery is strong I went to O'Really and charged it to full. Does anyone know a mechanic that travels? I need someone to come take a look find out what it is and give me a hand. I am willing to pay. Really want to ride
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
kd5qoq

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 SV1000S
99 Triumph 900 triple
05 YZ450F
90CR500R
69 Triumph Trident

If you are sure you have spark, at this point I would be looking at the cam chain. I don't know the engine, but if there's an easy way to verify that the cams are still spinning and that it didn't jump time, that's what I'd do. You can stick your finger up in the carb and feel the slide open and close as you work the throttle unless it's a CV carb. If it is a CV then they would both have to have gone south at the same time. That doesn't happen.
Even if you broke the cable and they weren't opening at all, it would still fire every now and then.
kd5qoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

you didn't put diesel in it did you?
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #31
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I tried to but I can't get the bike up to second gear without it going to Neutral after first.
What?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #32
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

When things shut down very abruptly it is usually electric, but since you have spark that is likly not it
Can you pull the side cover off , that covers the rotor and pull the spark plugs
Based on the position of the rotor with respect to a fixed mark you can determine when the piton is at the top of the stoke, you can check it with a straw through the spark plug hole, make sure it is long enough not to fall in the engine should the piston be at the bottom.
Knowing this firmly place your finger over a spark plug hole and crank the engine.
You should feel significant pressure every OTHER time the piston is at the top.
If you feel nothing or if you feel it every time then you likely lost the Cam Chain, or broke the cam shaft.
If you feel it every OTHER time, Then consider pulling the float bowls and check if the floats are intact and moving the needle you get the idea when you take the bowl off CAREFUL they are delicate.
If this all checks out, then maybe the spark is occurring at the wrong time, not sure how this would happen since the rotor determines this I and is keyed to the crank. And if you have a throttle position sensor it should not be able to move the spark that much.

But again a very sharp abrupt engine stop , but still cranks is usually electric, unless you did loose the cam chain or break the cam shaft.

Besure you do have good gas, and air cleaner in place when trying to start.
I am surprised that with spark the engine starting fluid did nothing.

Perhaps Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited may be able to advise.

I am kind of old scholl so if there is some new engine magic then I have no clue
Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #33
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Sebadat, If you filled the tank and the engine died shortly thereafter it's either a blocked gas tank vent, like I mentioned earlier or bad gas. If it doesn't start with the fuel tank's cap open, syphon out the gas and replace with some from another source.

The fuel running out of the petcock when the engine is cranking means you have a vacuum operated petcock, it turns off (stops the flow) when the engine stops and turns on when the engine is running. Was the amount of fuel coming out of the opened petcock more than just a dribble?

Brad
Old 10-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #34
Sebadat

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1340HIGH View Post
When things shut down very abruptly it is usually electric, but since you have spark that is likly not it
Can you pull the side cover off , that covers the rotor and pull the spark plugs
Based on the position of the rotor with respect to a fixed mark you can determine when the piton is at the top of the stoke, you can check it with a straw through the spark plug hole, make sure it is long enough not to fall in the engine should the piston be at the bottom.
Knowing this firmly place your finger over a spark plug hole and crank the engine.
You should feel significant pressure every OTHER time the piston is at the top.
If you feel nothing or if you feel it every time then you likely lost the Cam Chain, or broke the cam shaft.
If you feel it every OTHER time, Then consider pulling the float bowls and check if the floats are intact and moving the needle you get the idea when you take the bowl off CAREFUL they are delicate.
If this all checks out, then maybe the spark is occurring at the wrong time, not sure how this would happen since the rotor determines this I and is keyed to the crank. And if you have a throttle position sensor it should not be able to move the spark that much.

But again a very sharp abrupt engine stop , but still cranks is usually electric, unless you did loose the cam chain or break the cam shaft.

Besure you do have good gas, and air cleaner in place when trying to start.
I am surprised that with spark the engine starting fluid did nothing.

Perhaps Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited may be able to advise.

I am kind of old scholl so if there is some new engine magic then I have no clue
I will check the fuse and see if its not blown.
Quote:
Sebadat, If you filled the tank and the engine died shortly thereafter it's either a blocked gas tank vent, like I mentioned earlier or bad gas. If it doesn't start with the fuel tank's cap open, syphon out the gas and replace with some from another source.

The fuel running out of the petcock when the engine is cranking means you have a vacuum operated petcock, it turns off (stops the flow) when the engine stops and turns on when the engine is running. Was the amount of fuel coming out of the opened petcock more than just a dribble?

Brad
Ill try it with the gas tank open, but the fuel coming out of the petcock while cranking up the engine was a flow rather then just a dribble.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #35
kd5qoq

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 SV1000S
99 Triumph 900 triple
05 YZ450F
90CR500R
69 Triumph Trident

Well?
kd5qoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #36
Sebadat

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250R

Member Garage

A mechanic looked at it and said it was compression.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #37
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Quote:
A mechanic looked at it and said it was compression.
A broken cam chain is about the only item that will stall the engine suddenly and test low on compression that I can think of. Possible that the cam chain was not adjusted tightly enough and the cams are now out of time with each other. I suspect some damaged valves in either case.

Brad
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
Sebadat

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250R

Member Garage

Quote:
A broken cam chain is about the only item that will stall the engine suddenly and test low on compression that I can think of. Possible that the cam chain was not adjusted tightly enough and the cams are now out of time with each other. I suspect some damaged valves in either case.

Brad
Yeah at least 2 out of the 8 were damaged. I sold the bike but for future knowledge what causes this problem?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #39
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Quote:
Yeah at least 2 out of the 8 were damaged. I sold the bike but for future knowledge what causes this problem?
Fatigue of the cam chain itself or a failure of the automatic cam chain adjuster (I doubt the adjuster was manual). Usually associated with high milage, but either could fail at any time. That said, neither is usually a problem and can last for tens of thousands of miles.

Brad
Old 11-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #40
Gsxr600409

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
K6 600
built 02 busa

Dude its just prob. Bad gas. Flush the tank always use 89 and put new plug. Happen to me couple times already
Gsxr600409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement