Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 08:05 AM   #61
IAHKAT

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
M109R

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My New Cruiser Gixxer Geezer Cruisers Lounge 21 08-02-2013 08:57 AM
HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT YOUR FIRST CRUISER ? KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 69 03-15-2011 11:29 AM
cruiser down!!! m109runner General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-07-2010 09:18 PM
Cruiser Cap'n Stab'n Off Topic 18 01-26-2010 09:28 AM
Sorry it's a cruiser 1fastchevy General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 08-05-2008 09:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #62
ga_goosh
It's Me...

Bike(s):
for now...nothing :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
Just an idea of what I might like to get in the future. Suzuki Boulevard 109R dressed in white :icon_bigg

M109RK7 White FFFFFF

The styling on this thing is just breathtaking. Good power and a good amount of accessories. Not too crazy about the $1500 hard bags though lol

What cruiser would you go for?
the one you chose is what i was considering for my self. plus it looks really comfortable.
ga_goosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #63
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

I'm sorry but I at least have to go on record to say that I've been hugely disappointed with the direction that cruisers have taken. While the styling is neat on many of the newer models, the engine sizes vs. power output are absolutely ridiculous. Having a bike with an engine as big as a car but with the HP numbers many of the bikes have are just sad. I can't believe that my bike, based off 13 year old technology, still delivers better 1/4 mile times and more rear wheel power than some cruisers with engines twice its size. And when it doesn't beat them in raw power it usually beats them in HP to weight ratio.

Don't get me wrong. There are certainly advantages to larger/heavier bikes. But I want my power to increase somewhat proportionately with the weight.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...son/index.html
Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #64
stlal
Superman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
I love my warrior
Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #65
IAHKAT

Bike(s):
M109R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_goosh
the one you chose is what i was considering for my self. plus it looks really comfortable.
Don't let that nice big seat fool you, after a couple hundred miles on the stock seat you need to go see a proctologist.. There are a few other ergo things that are annoying but can be overcome with aftermarket stuff. Other than the seat and the foot pegs it is a pretty comfortable ride. Some don't like the reach to the handlebars, I am 5'9" and I reach a little but it's not too bad. If you are shorter than I am you will be looking for risers pretty quick.

DLP has quite a bit of aftermarket stuff for the 109.

http://www.directlineparts.com/store.asp?str=290

Quote:
I'm sorry but I at least have to go on record to say that I've been hugely disappointed with the direction that cruisers have taken. While the styling is neat on many of the newer models, the engine sizes vs. power output are absolutely ridiculous. Having a bike with an engine as big as a car but with the HP numbers many of the bikes have are just sad. I can't believe that my bike, based off 13 year old technology, still delivers better 1/4 mile times and more rear wheel power than some cruisers with engines twice its size. And when it doesn't beat them in raw power it usually beats them in HP to weight ratio.

Don't get me wrong. There are certainly advantages to larger/heavier bikes. But I want my power to increase somewhat proportionately with the weight.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...son/index.html
Do you think allot of the de-tuning has to do with EPA BS? There are guys on the 109site that are seeing tremendous gains in HP with simple mods to the emisions systems, air intake systems and simple re-maps. I am sure the other sport cruiser lines see similar gains with similar mods. I am not sure what the cruiser market looked like 13 plus years ago as I am fairly new to the cruiser world.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #66
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAHKAT
Do you think allot of the de-tuning has to do with EPA BS? There are guys on the 109site that are seeing tremendous gains in HP with simple mods to the emisions systems, air intake systems and simple re-maps. I am sure the other sport cruiser lines see similar gains with similar mods. I am not sure what the cruiser market looked like 13 plus years ago as I am fairly new to the cruiser world.
I am by no means an engine expert and couldn't testify as to the de-turning. But I don't consider any emissions restrictions to be BS. We need 'em. You can tell that by looking at the air in Houston.

I'd say some of the performance deficiencies are in the design of the engine itself. There are certainly plenty of cars and motorcycles that generate much more power from the same displacement (or less) without altering the emissions. However, none of these engines are V-twins. It seems that the manufacturers are catering to a market of Harley knock-offs only. The engines get bigger, but not more efficient.

My first bike was a 750cc v-twin. Then I got a 750cc V4. The weight of the two bikes are roughly the same, but the power difference is amazing. I picked up over 20 more HP. In contrast, A VTX 1300 has 100 extra lbs on my bike and about 15 less HP according to some stats I read. Imagine what Honda could do with a 1300cc V4? (Well they have one in the ST1300 and look at its stats.)

But at the end of the day, the other engine designs don't "sound" like a V-twin. That seems to make a big difference with some buyers. So we end up with hugely insane engine displacements and disproportionate increases in power.

But I digress. :laughing6 And I'm sure someone will disagree. All I have to say is don't put your 1300 even your 1500 V-twin up against my 750 unless you've heavily modified it. Meanwhile, I'll stick to cruising, getting 43 mpg, and working on hitting the Magna's 12.7 quarter mile time.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #67
criticalerror

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL
Rat bike (work in progress) Iron Head Sportster

Well its not that i disagree with you but IAH is right also. There are many things you can do to cruisers to up the HP including the stage 2 air system and a stage 3 bore kit. It is total BS that these bikes (Harleys included) come stock so tuned down. I would basically be spending roughy an extra $3000 on my bike to get it to its full potential.

It isnt a problem with the engine or the design .. its the freakin bike manufatures. They give you the slowest parts hoping you will spend the money to upgrade the vital systems to get the bike to a point that it should have been at rolling off the floor.

Thats my opinion anyways.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #68
KoolinDuc

Bike(s):
Ducati 749, Harley V-Rod Black Beauty Custom

I think mine is humbly fast.

Picture009

ResizedPicture002 1
KoolinDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #69
MagnaMan
Peg Scraper

Bike(s):
99 Honda Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolinDuc
I think mine is humbly fast.
You're right. The V-Rod is the only fast V-Twin Cruiser I would consider for my personal bike. And I like their looks as well. But considering my little Magna was only $3500 I'll be happy with it for awhile.

You've got a sweet set of bikes there.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:28 PM   #70
KoolinDuc

Bike(s):
Ducati 749, Harley V-Rod Black Beauty Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan
You're right. The V-Rod is the only fast V-Twin Cruiser I would consider for my personal bike. And I like their looks as well. But considering my little Magna was only $3500 I'll be happy with it for awhile.

I appreciate the compliments.

ResizedPicture002 1
KoolinDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #71
criticalerror

Bike(s):
Harley 03 FXDL
Rat bike (work in progress) Iron Head Sportster

Yeah man thats a sweet ride ..
Old 05-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #72
Hoguer
Hoguer

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda VTX 1300C
Honda VTX 1300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaMan

+1

Advertisement