MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #41
nihaikitty
Squidette

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim
you blow it up
not yet.....
i took it to NW cycles for a new rotor and an oil change and they found coolant in my engine oil....so i decided that it should retire to a garage until my extended warranty comes in the mail and i can take it to get fixed
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Clutch Question DavidGsXr General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-07-2012 05:57 PM
Question that goes along with the clutch... BabyGirlGSXR General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 08-13-2009 08:51 PM
Question about a clutch.. fourleaf20 Stunters Lounge 5 06-23-2008 11:23 AM
Clutch installation question randomwalk101 How To's and Q & A's 1 04-23-2008 04:16 AM
GP clutch question sixerSLYGUY Taking it to the Track 5 04-04-2008 04:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2007, 12:20 AM   #42
1FastMF

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihaikitty
it was making a small knocking noise, also....along with a smell like burning plastic
It's knocking cause it has water in the oil....hence its in your cylinder..hence it would be smoking like a
Old 02-06-2007, 12:21 AM   #43
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Possibly Free Play: If your clutch is not completely disengaging when pulling the lever to the bar you may have either a misadjusted cable, a leak in your hydraulic system if you have one, warped clutch drive or driven plates, failing throw out bearing....but this probably would be an email about not being able to get in neutral if your free play was not set right. You'd have trouble finding neutral at a stop or the bike would want to creep. It it creeps...then you have a free play problem. No free play will make 2nd gear crunch or be hard to shift to. Again, look for creep with the clutch pulled in.

Of course, it could simply be poor lubrication of the external shifter and shift linkage on the outside of the bike, or positioning of the shifter to your anatomy.

Worst case: Abused gear "dogs" or a bent shift fork: Many new riders really do not know how to shift. They shift a bike like a car, aka they shift slowly. Or they are ham footed and use way too much pressure on the shifter. Shifting slowly lets the revs drop too low and the shift makes a crunch sound as the gears are not engaging properly. This is because the engine has slowed down too much. How does it feel? Rev to 10 grand in first, pullin the clutch, wait 5 seconds, shift to second. Crunch is what you get. Do the same, but rev the motor to 5k after 10 seconds and no crunch. As you get more experience you shift quicker and smoother cause you do a better job of matching revs. On the other side, shifting too quickly, not letting off the gas, not pulling in the clutch etc... all cause the engine to be spinning too fast at the time the shift is made, so the same basic thing happens, but in reverse. Net result: The engagement "dogs" of the gears get worn down. A motorcycle tranny has all 6 gearsets always engaged. All 12 individual gears are always spinning in contact with the other half. The "shift" is made by attaching the inside of each gear to the shaft it rides on, not by touching the actual gears together. The shifter attaches to a drum which slides a shift fork left and right to move the dogs into contact. As you scroll thru the gears the drum turns and the forks move one at a time to engage and disengage each gear in a preset sequence. So when you screw up a shift you actually abuse the moving parts attached to the shifter (dogs and forks), not the gear teeth. The "dogs" get their surfaces rounded off, or more commonly the shift "fork" gets bent so it can't slide the dogs into the proper place to engage a gear. Bent shift forks come from abusive force on the shifter, so do rounded dogs, which also occur from pansy operation of the shifter, incomplete shifts, screwed up clutches, or poor matching of revs. In either case, there is no easy fix, and these parts are not warranty items if the repair is needed from improper abuse. Parts are cheap, but the labor to take the motor out of the frame, split the cases, dissassemble the tranny, and reinstall is a , like $1000 min.

Of course, take it to a mechanic and he can diagnose your problem in 1 minute with 99% certainty.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:24 AM   #44
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastMF
It's knocking cause it has water in the oil....hence its in your cylinder..hence it would be smoking like a
it wasnt VISIBLY smoking....but it smelled like
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #45
1FastMF

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman
Possibly Free Play: If your clutch is not completely disengaging when pulling the lever to the bar you may have either a misadjusted cable, a leak in your hydraulic system if you have one, warped clutch drive or driven plates, failing throw out bearing....but this probably would be an email about not being able to get in neutral if your free play was not set right. You'd have trouble finding neutral at a stop or the bike would want to creep. It it creeps...then you have a free play problem. No free play will make 2nd gear crunch or be hard to shift to. Again, look for creep with the clutch pulled in.

Of course, it could simply be poor lubrication of the external shifter and shift linkage on the outside of the bike, or positioning of the shifter to your anatomy.

Worst case: Abused gear "dogs" or a bent shift fork: Many new riders really do not know how to shift. They shift a bike like a car, aka they shift slowly. Or they are ham footed and use way too much pressure on the shifter. Shifting slowly lets the revs drop too low and the shift makes a crunch sound as the gears are not engaging properly. This is because the engine has slowed down too much. How does it feel? Rev to 10 grand in first, pullin the clutch, wait 5 seconds, shift to second. Crunch is what you get. Do the same, but rev the motor to 5k after 10 seconds and no crunch. As you get more experience you shift quicker and smoother cause you do a better job of matching revs. On the other side, shifting too quickly, not letting off the gas, not pulling in the clutch etc... all cause the engine to be spinning too fast at the time the shift is made, so the same basic thing happens, but in reverse. Net result: The engagement "dogs" of the gears get worn down. A motorcycle tranny has all 6 gearsets always engaged. All 12 individual gears are always spinning in contact with the other half. The "shift" is made by attaching the inside of each gear to the shaft it rides on, not by touching the actual gears together. The shifter attaches to a drum which slides a shift fork left and right to move the dogs into contact. As you scroll thru the gears the drum turns and the forks move one at a time to engage and disengage each gear in a preset sequence. So when you screw up a shift you actually abuse the moving parts attached to the shifter (dogs and forks), not the gear teeth. The "dogs" get their surfaces rounded off, or more commonly the shift "fork" gets bent so it can't slide the dogs into the proper place to engage a gear. Bent shift forks come from abusive force on the shifter, so do rounded dogs, which also occur from pansy operation of the shifter, incomplete shifts, screwed up clutches, or poor matching of revs. In either case, there is no easy fix, and these parts are not warranty items if the repair is needed from improper abuse. Parts are cheap, but the labor to take the motor out of the frame, split the cases, dissassemble the tranny, and reinstall is a , like $1000 min.

Of course, take it to a mechanic and he can diagnose your problem in 1 minute with 99% certainty.
Ya sorry to your post on clutch problems since all I've basically been talking bout is the kittys kawi's shoes but you know.......she's a girl
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #46
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Hey Romeo where the ya been ??? I was in your neck of the woods the last few days raising but no sign of you....gone dormant???
yea i guess you can say ive gone dormant. new girlfriends. i went riding today during lunch but other than that i havent been riding much but now that the weather is getting better its on like donkey kong
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #47
1FastMF

Member Garage

Quote:
it wasnt VISIBLY smoking....but it smelled like
Ummmmmm how does smell babe???? :icon_bigg
Old 02-06-2007, 12:30 AM   #48
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Ummmmmm how does smell babe???? :icon_bigg
like someone threw a box of styrofoam cups in a grill and doused them with lighter fluid
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #49
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Ya sorry to your post on clutch problems since all I've basically been talking bout is the kittys kawi's shoes but you know.......she's a girl
ya'll want me to make a new thread about my pos?
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #50
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
like someone threw a box of styrofoam cups in a grill and doused them with lighter fluid
Hmm, I think maybe you missed the point
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #51
1FastMF

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36
yea i guess you can say ive gone dormant. new girlfriends. i went riding today during lunch but other than that i havent been riding much but now that the weather is getting better its on like donkey kong
man new girl??? Is she hot???? Got pics??? :icon_bigg Shoot bro I've been riding everyday cept after my wipe out while on crutches and blowing my fingers off...but even that only lasted about a week Been going lots ever since I cant handle not riding !!! We need to get together again sir and bring your girl
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 AM   #52
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
.....honda doesnt make a sport 500, duh!
no but you should have bought my friends f4. i kind of detuned it for him so that it makes it easier for him to ride, i think he is ready for a new 600 now so if you want it holla and i'll ask him how much
Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #53
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
heeeyy, what do girls have to do with neglecting your bike?!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #54
1FastMF

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC
:laughing6 :laughing6 Hmmmm ya think??? Good one Bro
Old 02-06-2007, 12:34 AM   #55
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
no but you should have bought my friends f4. i kind of detuned it for him so that it makes it easier for him to ride, i think he is ready for a new 600 now so if you want it holla and i'll ask him how much
i still owe $3500 on mine.....i'm stuck. if i could just take it back to GP motoring right now i would...they could even keep the money i already put down on it i just want a bike that i can ride!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #56
nihaikitty
Squidette

Bike(s):
'04 EX500
'08 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC
WHOOOSH...right over my head
Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #57
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
man new girl??? Is she hot???? Got pics??? Shoot bro I've been riding everyday cept after my wipe out while on crutches and blowing my fingers off...but even that only lasted about a week Been going lots ever since I cant handle not riding !!! We need to get together again sir and bring your girl
yep yep and those are for me, yea man im down for a ride but her i dont know. she hasnt been on the bike yet and if she is anything like the last girl she is gonna be scared shitless the first couple of times
Old 02-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #58
IndyRC
Mutant

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
WHOOOSH...right over my head
Sorry, I'm kinda hyper and bored tonight.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #59
1FastMF

Member Garage

Quote:
yep yep and those are for me, yea man im down for a ride but her i dont know. she hasnt been on the bike yet and if she is anything like the last girl she is gonna be scared shitless the first couple of times
She can ride on the back of mine.....I'll take it easy on her But ya man pick a date and time and lets go, Your good company and good people
Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #60
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
i still owe $3500 on mine.....i'm stuck. if i could just take it back to GP motoring right now i would...they could even keep the money i already put down on it i just want a bike that i can ride!
how much was it total??????? we sold a 2006 that had 8 miles on it for 3500 last summer

Advertisement