MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

AMA Bike Choices

So, I'm finally getting a chance to watch the NOLA round of the AMA and I was wondering why there aren't certain bikes in the line-up. Obviously, I didn't "just" notice this but I was curious as to why you don't see Yamaha in any team other than Graves. Is it a contractual thing or are they the only ones with enough money to throw at it to make it competitive? The same goes for the CBR1000RR. It's had decent success in WSBK and is pretty dominant in BSB but you never see it in AMA. Is it a cost vs performance thing as well? Same for Ducati and Aprilia, both dominant in WSBK but never used in the states. Are they absent due to parts availability or lack of factory support? I also wonder that with the success Kawasaki have had in WSBK this year if we won't see more green next year. I am just curious as both BMW and KTM (of all brands) are making a name for themselves and starting to make improvements at becoming reasonably competitive. Even EBR, a privateer company in every sense of the word, are doing very well. Just wanting to get other thoughts on the absence of several high profile manufacturers in the AMA.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike choices EnjoiZ General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 07-03-2011 02:08 PM
upgrade time... choices choices JayoT General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 02-05-2010 01:07 AM
Your Help With New Gear Choices gsxrjai Gear Talk 7 01-12-2009 10:50 PM
AMA Bike Restrictions Mighty White General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-03-2007 03:54 PM
New Bike..... So Many Choices.... DrunkMagnet General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 06-12-2007 01:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

Larry Pegram is dropping BMW next year because the factory isn't giving him enough (any?) support or even tech numbers from their testing. I forget if that's why he dropped Ducati a couple of years ago as well or not. He's supposed to announce in the next few days what he's riding next year. Honda decided to not support AMA racing a few years back, so therefore no Honda's either. I've heard that the Jordan Suzuki's get very little support as well, compared to the the Graves/Yamaha relationship.

And regarding Buell, Eric was there with the team this weekend. I think have the motorcycle's designer is about the best support you can get. I even got him to sign my hat. Oh, and you could have bought Danny's bike after the race for $20,000 as-is.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Is the reason that Suzuki seems to be the dominant privateer brand due to parts and info availability? I'm just curious as to why there aren't more privateer guys running brands such as Honda or even more Yamaha than the Graves.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
_Iceman_
Aerobatics Junkie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Ducati 1098
Honda ZR50
Blata 2.5

Money and Support. Project 1 Atlanta beat the graves supported Yamis, but couldnt' find the funding to continue. Ducati dropped Pegram. I think the reason for that was that AMA went way off the scale with their regs compared to WSB and BSB. Cost was too much to develop different bikes for the series. DMG ticked off Honda and off they went. Attack get nothing from Kawi which is why you don't see their stickers on Attack bikes. I think it may all have to do with the poor worldwide economy and the diference in bikes between AMa and everyone else. The racing is good, but the bikes not as trick. Maybe WSB, BSB will start to look more like AMA bikes & we may see a change, but who knows.

www.s2kdj.com
_Iceman_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

the Honda takes alot more money to get set up to be able to compete. A couple years ago Honda offered 35K for the champion of WERA Superbike, if they rode a Honda. Brian Stokes admitted he put 35K into the bike to win 35K.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Hopefully with AMA gaining popularity it'll attract new sponsors and get more bike diversity in the field.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Skid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Is the reason that Suzuki seems to be the dominant privateer brand due to parts and info availability?
The Suzuki may be the dominant privateer brand in the SuperBike class, but in the Datoyna Superbike and SuperSport classes the R6 fills the grid. In fact, 22 of the 33 entries in DSB were on R6's and 21 out of 35 in SuperSport.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

One of Mladins biggest complaints about the 08-09 bikes was that they were NOTHING like the superbikes of just few years before. With all the rules and regs just on the bikes it's no wonder you don't see many of the other names lasting long with many riders filling seats. Seems Yamaha (Graves) and Suzuki get the most support. It is cool to see KTM mixing it up wit them though.

Look at MotoGP. It won't be long before there's no prototypes, just CRT bikes.

Last edited by AaronP220; 10-10-2012 at 09:05 AM.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

A
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
The Suzuki may be the dominant privateer brand in the SuperBike class, but in the Datoyna Superbike and SuperSport classes the R6 fills the grid. In fact, 22 of the 33 entries in DSB were on R6's and 21 out of 35 in SuperSport.

I was referring more to the liter bike class. Without a doubt, R6 makes up the majority of the smaller classes.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Yeah, seeing KTM and the EBR bikes out there is nice. It would be interesting to see how well a prepped RSV4 would do in the series.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

and here I was thinking about a BMW.. lol
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
and here I was thinking about a BMW.. lol

EBR is only $40k. It's $45k for the full carbon version.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Chuckster

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Iceman_ View Post
Money and Support. Project 1 Atlanta beat the graves supported Yamis, but couldnt' find the funding to continue. Ducati dropped Pegram. I think the reason for that was that AMA went way off the scale with their regs compared to WSB and BSB. Cost was too much to develop different bikes for the series. DMG ticked off Honda and off they went. Attack get nothing from Kawi which is why you don't see their stickers on Attack bikes. I think it may all have to do with the poor worldwide economy and the diference in bikes between AMa and everyone else. The racing is good, but the bikes not as trick. Maybe WSB, BSB will start to look more like AMA bikes & we may see a change, but who knows.

From what I've seen, BSB has very diverse sponsorship also. , Cadbury sponsored Yamaha back in the 90's.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
x-ray
CMRA #228

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

The KTM is totally bad- (turn up the volume):

I'm totally amateur in photography, but I took over 1000 pictures and videos last weekend at NOLA. I'll try to get some more posted up later in a new thread.
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
From what I've seen, BSB has very diverse sponsorship also. , Cadbury sponsored Yamaha back in the 90's.
and Durex "covered" Suzuki once upon a time
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement