Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Feedback Rating: (0)

User is banned

TangoRangoEy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha Street triple killer ZX-Dominance General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 06-13-2013 02:32 PM
speed triple? brian1570 General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 08-15-2012 01:27 AM
TRIPLE SCOTCH Grinchy Off Topic 21 08-07-2009 10:02 AM
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #22
Recent Convert
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

hmmmm..... well then. i guess i'll have to test ride someone's cross plane r1... lol
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #23
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
I do like triumphs and one of the things holding me back is the aftermarket. Whether they are robust machines or not, undoubtedly there is considerably less aftermarket for triumphs than the big four.

That being said, I'm a mostly stock kinda guy and if a steal of a deal came around on one i'd surely bite, but if i was looking for a machine that i could race, wreck, and purchase alot of used parts (or just non-oem) for a triumph would not be the choice. I dont see their bikes having as much flexibility in that department as say, a gsxr, where if i went out and bought a 1999 roller finding parts for it would be a non-issue without even thinking about it.
Triumph aftermarket ain't that bad, especially popular rides like the Street3 and Speed3. You might have to get it from outside the US, but most of the stuff you would want to get are available. Now... I am not talking about pimp-out parts that let you turn your gixxer into one of those ghetto blings gracing the cover of SSB mag. For that, yes... Big Four is the way to go.

I had no problem finding parts for the '09 Sprint I had. Some of them do get a bit more expensive, but that's normal for a niche brand. Triumph is not quite in the premium class like Ducati or BMW, but you do still pay for a bit more exclusivity.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
Feedback Rating: (1)

1998 Triumph T595

Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
linear power curve suggests something different, a more linear curve. i wouldnt compare it to "best of both worlds" as in what you have suggested with the v-twin and the i-4, but more along the lines of "a beast of its own" with a unique power band that defines it as its own curve.

maybe some triumph owners can chime in.

and whats the deal with the crossplane crank, can anyone describe what is and how many pins the rods connect to (3,2,1?)
The triple has more low end torque than an I4 of the same size and state of tune, but less power at the top end. The triple has less low end torque than a twin of the same size/tune, but more top end power. Not the best of both the twin and I4, but rather a compromise.

The cross plane crankshaft that Yamaha touts is more akin to the crankshaft used in a V8 auto engine. The Yamaha triple could have a really unique firing order, perhaps something like 270-90-180?

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock. --Will Rogers
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion

2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)

Originally Posted by TangoRangoEy View Post

This has me all kinds of excited. I really like the triples but wasn't willing to bite on a Triumph. Gorgeous bikes but they are British... and that is what the Brits do... make cool that falls apart. I already want an R6... this would just be icing on the cake.
ahah what e3ver ive neverhad issues with my triumphs
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #26

Trackdays: 10+

2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

My Triumph has been awesome. I've tracked it, toured with it, jumped it and the bike hasn't complained once.
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote