MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Feedback Rating: (4)

Send a message via AIM to PimpRice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Im with Tmax! U guys are talking about handling, slipper clutches and FI/Carb its a first bike for sakes. Im 100% positive thats the first timer aint gonna know the difference. What they will know is when they drop it in the parking lot or street its gonna cost a load of money because of the fairings.

Get a small motard or dual purpose like Tmax suggested. If they drop it it wont really do ! A 250 dual sport is nothing like a 250 MX bike like some one thought.....my .02 which will be worth more that -$1000 for new fairings for a dropped ninja 250/300 or cbr250

well byrdman...you're right about that. She won't notice the whole slipper clutch, and better handling designs. What she will notice is the FI/Carb cause it'll start right up and able to ride off, versus having to let it warm up. If and when she does drop it, i'll be the one paying for it so it won't matter too much to her. I got a new bike as a first and so did all my other friends. Like i said in a post earlier i don't trust used bikes just cause of how easy it is to replace fairings and whatever else to make it look like it's never been dropped or wrecked. It's a peace of mind thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastola View Post
Cant suggest getting a new bike. Id really go with a 05 ninja 250 for $1200-$1500. If you must be cool, 08 for $2500.

Or you can spend, what? $4500 on a new bike? They sure are nice, but its however deep your/her pockets are.
I've been saving for a few months to be able to get a new bike cash so it's not too big of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
What are her measurements? Before some of you Pervs get yer mind in the gutter, I mean her height and inseam. Some females can be rather vertically challenged, to a point where even a starter sport bike like cbr and ninja can be too tall. Last thing a beginner needs is a tall bike she can't flatfoot on both sides.

Who's talking sport bike? You the advisor, or she the rider? You really gotta be honest here and give proper advice on what's best for her to gain confidence and learn the basics - not what you think she would look great riding next to your sport bike.

A Suzuki GZ250 or even a V Star 250 can be ridden very spiritedly and lots of fun in the hands of a beginner rider. The low seat height can be much more user friendly for some ladies and far less intimidating.

Key is to make her fall in love with RIDING, not with her first bike.

I plan on buying my wife a cruiser as a first bike, FWIW.

ok volfy...you caught me. I think her on a sportbike would look cooler than a cruiser next to me. She's ridden two up with me alot on my Ducati 848. She's been wanting a bike but I guess i've never really asked her what kind. She will be coming with me on a few forest rides and spirited freeway rides with my friends and I. She's about 5'4'' and can tip toe my 848 at stock height.
PimpRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrini View Post
....ooooor they can be like me and just dont bother fixing them..... lol
+2 mine takes the cake of lookin ghetto.

ghetto bike contest FTW!

my pics are up on my "FS" thread". I've got painters tape holdin my rear fairings together
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #23
Lucar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

that's how it went with my wife.. then she got a monster 798
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
Fastola
Banned

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
Chris_5.0
HalfFast

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1999 zx-9r
2005 gsxr 600
xr50r speed demond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
+2 mine takes the cake of lookin ghetto.

ghetto bike contest FTW!

my pics are up on my "FS" thread". I've got painters tape holdin my rear fairings together
Duct tape is literally holding my break light lmao
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpRice View Post
ok volfy...you caught me. I think her on a sportbike would look cooler than a cruiser next to me. She's ridden two up with me alot on my Ducati 848. She's been wanting a bike but I guess i've never really asked her what kind. She will be coming with me on a few forest rides and spirited freeway rides with my friends and I. She's about 5'4'' and can tip toe my 848 at stock height.
5'4" is not too bad, but still I would suggest you take her to a place like Mancuso SW off 59, where they have 50 bikes on display. Let her look around, sit on, and do the touchy feely - without anybody saying anything. I did that with my wife and she settled on a Suzuki S40, which is the old Savage 650 single. She wants it with hello kitty on one side and Keroppi on the other. I told her, when she's ready, she'll get exactly whe she wants. Personally, I though she picked a fine choice. The thumper weighs less than the 250/300 sportbikes, is simple to operate with only a speedometer (nothing else to confuse/distract), has low down torque for easy take off and putt-putting at parking lot speeds (that's what a beginner will do for the first week), a 27.6" seat height that her 5'1" frame easily fit and balances with both feet firmly planted on the ground, and controls that lets her sit upright (just like the scooters she used to ride).

I could care less how long she stays with the first bike. If she asked for a second one, the first has served its purpose brilliantly.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
slowposer
pose slower

Bike(s):
bikeless :(

imo...if money is no concern...get the kawi 300 (yes i like pretty bikes)...best looking small cc bike to date...and no "unknowns" that come with a used bike...yeah she wont know the difference of all the tech but she will have fresh fork seals/suspension, chain, tires, brakes...etc
slowposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #28
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Got the ninja 300. Pasadena Kawasaki is awesome!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's feedback. Got the ninja 300. Pasadena Kawasaki is awesome!
yeah. Kaw of Pasadena is the !!!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #30
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Excellent choice, congratulations and hope she enjoys the bike
Old 10-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #31
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Have fun and go easy on her till she gets the hang of it.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #32
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
Quote:
Dude, you let me test drive right ? Please please lol ill let u ride mine for a bit.
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #33
PimpRice
TEAM BLT

She's loving it and learning it it very well. She's very scared of it. She says it's nothing like the bikes from awesome cycles. She did already drop it her first night from a standstill. She thought the kickstand was down. Barely 4 miles on the odometer when it went down. Lol.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #34
2_slow_5.0

Quote:
She's loving it and learning it it very well. She's very scared of it. She says it's nothing like the bikes from awesome cycles. She did already drop it her first night from a standstill. She thought the kickstand was down. Barely 4 miles on the odometer when it went down. Lol.
Well at least she is happy and you don't seem to mind the 1000-1750 hit from buying a new bike for her to learn on.

Best of luck to you both and hope she enjoys it as much as we all do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
2_slow_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #35
queenmoka
BORC O.G!!!!!!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Aprilliiaaaaaaa RSV4R
S1000RR...BORC owned!
The Ninja.....

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Almost 50 hp in stock form, slipper clutch, abs and it looks a lot better than any 250 out there
queenmoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement