MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Question Speed & Strength helmet experience?

So, I've been riding with an HJC CS-R2 which, during the summer months, was never an issue. However, we had that cold day earlier this week and I learned exactly how good the face shield seal wasn't. I have a balaclava that I can use, but I'd rather use it in conjunction with an effective helmet.

Which leads to my question, I've been eyeballing the Speed and Strength SS1300 helmet, but don't want to drop $150+ and end up with the same issue. If anyone has any experience with SS helmets, I'd love to hear it. Or, if anyone can recommend a helmet with a good face shield seal, please post as much of your experience with it as you can.
ArmyApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speed and Strength aznhero913 Gear Talk 8 06-05-2016 09:40 AM
SS2200 Helmet from Speed & Strength jptshadow Gear Talk 1 08-04-2013 10:16 PM
$33 speed and strength pants! loosenoose Gear Talk 6 12-04-2010 10:09 AM
Speed and Strength Leathers? ryanp77 Gear Talk 8 04-01-2009 02:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

First of all, I've never tried the S&S helmet line, but I never had an issue with my Scorpion exo-700. Close the vents and I was good! It could have benefited from a chin skirt though. The RF-1100 excelled in that regard, just more pricey. Flows all the air you need in the summer, shield lock and chin skirt for the winter. The Scorpion was noticeably louder at speed though and you ran the risk of opening the visor during head checks.
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Mercilus

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 Yamaha YZF-R6 Raven

I love my x-12 worked amazing in the cold but im pretty sure you dont wanna spend that much i personally liked my hjc cl-16 helmet to it had shield lock but no chin curtain
Mercilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

I think I've decided to forgo the SS and spend the money on a Shoei. I mean, it IS my head I'm protecting. The Qwest line seems to have very few to no complaints.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

I tried out the SS1300 helmet and it fit amazingly, I'll post a review with pics when it arrives in a week, or so. I'll post a follow-up after wearing it for a while.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R

Member Garage

So, I've been wearing the Speed and Strength SS1300, Run With The Bulls helmet for about 3 months now and I think it's time to post up my thoughts for anyone who may be interested...

It's a $150 lid. You're getting every cent's worth, but it's not to be confused with an RF1100, a Qwest, or an RPHA 10. It's also not your run-of-the-mill Icon, or Bilt (statement does not include higher-end helmets).

First things first: no amount of HD footage can convey how completely, awesomely badass the graphics actually look. The holographic touch to the intricate details was far more than I expected. Now, for the important stuff: it fit comfortably, felt lighter than the entry-level HJCs I'd worn before and came across as something that a fair amount of time has gone into creating. The pads are nothing too fancy, just pads that are in there to keep it in place and relieve pressure on your cranium. Comfortable utility, I guess is the best description.

The visor is extremely easy to operate with 3 positions; open, halfway and closed. There's no 1/4" position so, at a stop, you either leave it closed and fog up, or open your face to whatever's outside.

The vent system works really well over the top of your head, not too much around your face. This is the first out of three helmets I've owned where you could actually feel the airflow working to keep your dome cool. However, this lid is loud. It's really loud. I mean, you can't help but notice just how LOUD it is. Slowing down to stop the first time I wore it (it was overcast), I actually thought I was hearing thunder rumbling. It took the third stop to realise it was just the helmet. That isn't a joke, that was my actual experience. It whistles in head checks and roars moving forwards. If you're going to pick this up as an entry-level starter, make sure you get a set of comfortable earplugs as well.

I picked up the silver-tinted visor and have been riding with it exclusively, to include; night time (with and without street lights), dense fog, light rain, clear skies and heavy overcast conditions. Visibility is great with it, I'm not blinded by the light during the day (sunglasses optional), I can see clearly enough at night with the shield down. The fog... well, fog just sucks no matter what you do. There is, however, one major issue I've picked up on after experimenting with other helmets that make the SS1300 a little bit of a concern. Although it isn't detrimental to a ride, your peripheral view is a little restricted. Head checks require more movement than I think is necessary and to see anything beside you requires you to turn your vision almost completely away from what's in front of you. Checking your RPM, gear position, MPH, etc loses a lot of forward vision as well. To me, this was the deciding factor behind dropping this particular lid in the "tried, tested, liked, but-time-to-move-on" pile.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post, or PM.