MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #41
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

I think they should be allowed...but, they should give the runner atleast 3 chances to restart..
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for law enforcement officers... cedestech Off Topic 20 09-17-2010 01:04 PM
Caucasian Law Enforcement Association urbanXJ The Circus 24 04-14-2010 06:40 PM
Motorcycles law enforcement(law enf please enter) camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-24-2009 09:03 AM
Bwahahahaha. Clayton's Law Enforcement Academy Mr. Unassailable Off Topic 11 06-04-2007 05:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #42
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
now its felony evasion, which could all have been prevented by stopping.

easy answer.
Yeah but if the idiot kills someone running from the police over some petty theft its just retarded. Yeah cops would love a high speed chase over just about anything including petty theft.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #43
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
yep, the "i have learned my lesson" thing has not worked out so well...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #44
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

A rider: most definitely yes. You can see who all is involved in the persuit.

In a car/truck? I would handle it situationally. There have been chases with young children in the vehicles. Definitely want them stopped, but I would be far less aggressive as possible for as long as possible.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #45
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

See the problem is this:

If police does not give chase, the driver/rider is fine, usually...

If police do give chase, they increase the likelihood of the pursued making a mistake. The speed goes up, decisions need to be made, bad drivers and riders get nervous. That is why chasing is dangerous.

Not only the runner is having to make these quick decisions, but one, two, three, and maybe more drivers making the decisions as well and without a clear line of sight.

These chases are incredibly dangerous for bystanders.

It's a tough dilemma and not quite as black and white as it seems.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #46
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Anytime some can't bother to use their turn signals because they're holding a damned phone. Chase them and shoot them.
This

Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #47
green600
HG Chairperson

Not to mention the 1-20 cop cars following behind.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #48
Stryker

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 750
04 Gsxr 600 (wrecked and sold)
97 gsxr 750 (sold)
02 400EX (sold)
05 cbr 1000 (sold)

Bikes....I firmly believe that cops should chase known felons but Chasing someone who is just cruising at 100mph is not justifable....think about it...we typically cruise 10 to15 over the speed limit as it is...so someone doing 100 isnt that much faster....now the squids that are flying down the highway spltting cars at speeds over 120....absolutel but only in a controlled manner...and spike strips.... NO, That would put innocent people at risk..blockades...YES. IF an idiot wants to try to be cool and not pay to play then he desreves to be pushed to wrecking point or stopping point.

Cars....again... only known felons and if the situation permits....High speed chases put A LOT of innocent people at risk and there are other ways of catching someone with out chasing....Radios travel alot faster then a dozen or so LEO's. They can easily radio ahead and set up road blocks!
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #49
negordon

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki gsxr 600

It should almost be determined by the crime committed. If it was a violent crime or a felony I'm all for it. On the other hand if it is a petty crime it happens to put a lot of innocent bystanders in risk of injury for little reason. It boils down to a risk vs reward situation that the officer has to sometimes make in the heat of the action. Yo should look up the law Dallas implemented. I believe my buddy told me only certain units are allowed to pursue over 100 mph now, but then again he could have just been talking out of his .
negordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #50
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

High speed chase, should it be legal?

Well, There are alot of good arguements on both sides, But there is really only one thing to consider first, What would happen if it was not allowed, or legal to chase people that ran from the police. It does'nt matter if its a bike, car, bus, or a tank, Anybody/everyone would haul from the cops, Think about how that would work out. So, Yes, I agree with most everyone here, Chase them and stop them with just about any means possible, but the officers must use their brain while trying to take down said criminal, And do their very best not to harm the general public. History has proved it to be a tough thing to accomplish.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #51
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by negordon View Post
It should almost be determined by the crime committed. If it was a violent crime or a felony I'm all for it. On the other hand if it is a petty crime it happens to put a lot of innocent bystanders in risk of injury for little reason. It boils down to a risk vs reward situation that the officer has to sometimes make in the heat of the action. Yo should look up the law Dallas implemented. I believe my buddy told me only certain units are allowed to pursue over 100 mph now, but then again he could have just been talking out of his .
No that's true.

I live with a guy who moved from dallas.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
FowleR6

For everyone whose in favor of pursuits; how would you feel if your family was killed in a fatal car accident caused by a police pursuit?
FowleR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #53
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdfowler6 View Post
For everyone whose in favor of pursuits; how would you feel if your family was killed in a fatal car accident caused by a police pursuit?
Have you checked and gotten the #/percentage of innocents injured/killed in pursuits? ...and how many of those were caused by the runner vs the police? Note: in this case innocents are those in/on vehicles other than those being pursued.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #54
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

"On average...

• Crashes as a result of police chases and police response calls kill more than one person a day, and one-third of the people killed are innocent bystanders.

• Innocent third parties who just happened to be in the way constitute 42 percent of persons killed or injured in police pursuits. "

I dunno how that works.

http://pursuitsafety.org/mediakit/statistics.html

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #55
brandontx

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
This is in some ways what I believe
+1. I believe if someone is running red lights without slowing down and playing russian roulette with the public, then you should stop chasing them. I had two good friends killed in high school on two separate occasions due to a high speed chase. One was hit by a drunk driver running and the other was hit by a cop chasing. My girlfriend at the time was in the car when the drunk driver hit our friend. Our friend was found laying on the hood with her face peeled back after being thrown threw the windshield.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #56
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Quote:
I can't put it in words how friggin aweful that would be, But if the police were not allowed to chase how would you feel if some arsehole car-jacked somebody close to you, maybe they resisted and the car-jacker stabbed or shot that person close to you then took the car and hauled , the cops saw it happening, but by the time they got there the crook was well on his way, so the officer says well, maybe we will run into him in the future.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #57
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
How would ou feel if dude just murdered your family w blood all over him, of course cops can't see that cuz they're behind him. But he wicks I up to 100 then runs away to the hills of the ozarks never to be seen again

Btw, runners are charged often times w the death of anybody involved , cop or bystander. As runner should be

What if....very long game
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #58
FowleR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
How would ou feel if dude just murdered your family w blood all over him, of course cops can't see that cuz they're behind him. But he wicks I up to 100 then runs away to the hills of the ozarks never to be seen again

Btw, runners are charged often times w the death of anybody involved , cop or bystander. As runner should be

What if....very long game
If its a felony I think it's a bit different. I talking more about regular traffic stops. But I definitely see your point.
FowleR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #59
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
the problem with today's society is they have gotten very soft towards criminals. They should be treated the same way criminals are treated in 3rd world countries. When the punishment is severe, people think twice about doing something stupid.
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #60
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
If its a felony I think it's a bit different. I talking more about regular traffic stops. But I definitely see your point.
Cops don't know he murdered the family, he only has a hidden plate......but if he had stooped they woulda seen the blood , but they let him fly, he broke your 100mph mandate, so the cops called off the pursuit. No helos

What if?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement