Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
speedoeffect

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Transponders??

Never used timing device and haven't talked to many people at the track. So not sure how they work. If I purchase something like a Mylaps flex, does this work for track days. Do you usb it to your computer to pull up times? I know there is something about times being uploaded to the mylaps website, but is that only during races? I did a quick search for some threads but didn't really find the info I was looking for.
speedoeffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TMGP- transponders ? obed Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 8 02-07-2012 11:46 AM
CMRA Transponders for '10 Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 10 10-01-2009 12:03 PM
Borrowing Transponders Swift E Taking it to the Track 14 01-30-2008 10:09 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoeffect View Post
Never used timing device and haven't talked to many people at the track. So not sure how they work. If I purchase something like a Mylaps flex, does this work for track days. Do you usb it to your computer to pull up times? I know there is something about times being uploaded to the mylaps website, but is that only during races? I did a quick search for some threads but didn't really find the info I was looking for.
Most trackday orgs have an IR emitter. It won't be compatible with the mylaps system. You're better of getting either a GPS or IR lap timer.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

I have an XT and it works great....
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Transponder:

A device that puts out a signal. Then the track owned permanently mounted computer reads the signal each time it comes across start finish and converts the signal to a lap time and counts laps. A transponder and computer set up for a typical track is $15,000+ A transponder is a dumb device, like an EZ Tag.

Racers are required to buy a transponder to they can be scored for each lap.

Lap timer:

Does the reverse. A lap timer is a micro computer that you mount on the bike, that picks up a signal from beacon (also called a transponder) that is set at the start finish line. They can be cheap and simple, $75 and only record 20 laps for viewing after a session. Or, they can be complex, store data for each track, provide differentials lap to lap, have GPS to record speeds in each corner, etc...up to maybe $2000 for a full data acquisition system for a semi serious racer.

Racers / track day riders choose to buy a lap timer so they can record their own lap times and see the lap times as they go around the track.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Get a mini XT and if you need more data, sell it and get an XT. Later, go GPS if your really need to go fast
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

the XTgps is pretty nice.
a bit pricey if you dont need the other functions.
if you don't care about maybe "missing" some of the lap times from a session or two, get the IR set up.
most of the GPS based timers are flawless and provide valuable split times.
i also believe there is a few apps out there that will do just fine on a smart phone.
a very cool one is Optrix, which also incorporates the vid from the Iphone if you use one of those.
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement