MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas
 
jptshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 288 & 610
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 804

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)
Fuzzy 150 (impounded by dad)

Member Garage





Tire, how long before...

the tires get stiff and lose the grip? My Michellin Pilot Road has been one my bike for 2 years. The groove is still deep since I prolly only put about 3k mi on, but lately when I toss her around the corners (esp in sharp turns), I would lose that split second of the grip often which barely happened. So, I dun know if I should look into a new set or...
__________________
Contacts don't cause problems; you do
jptshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire question.. (my tire people where you at?) floyd600 Taking it to the Track 81 07-02-2012 12:41 PM
Need a long lasting street tire SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 10-31-2011 10:27 AM
i need a long life tire what are ur thoughts Jerzey General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 01-01-2010 11:57 AM
My tire is low tire pressure. Who is the best place to take it for air? hotnanas How To's and Q & A's 74 11-19-2008 01:50 PM
So i got a Nail in my tire! patch or get new tire? AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 56 10-24-2006 03:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Cethridge
Earth, Sky, Ambulance!
 
Cethridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nacogdoches
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 220

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV650-Motard Fighter
Trek
46 Ford







Is the rear squared? If so, that is likely your biggest problem. Is the bike kept inside away from the sun? UV light kills tires faster than you would imagine. Two year old tires that are kept in climate controlled storage, are still not as good as fresh tires. When in doubt, replace the hoops...doesn't matter the "grip level" if you are not comfy, get new tires.
Cethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Kaitlin
:-D
 
Kaitlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Woodlands,Tx
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,421

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 r6 track bike baby
08 CBR600rr- Sold
04 r6- Sold







If you're questioning it.... get a new one.
Kaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas
 
jptshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 288 & 610
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 804

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)
Fuzzy 150 (impounded by dad)

Member Garage





it is kept in door at all time when not riding (not climate controlled garage tho)
Rear is ok, the front loses it most of the time.
__________________
Contacts don't cause problems; you do
jptshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
madtrini
Recent Convert
 
madtrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 673

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6




Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by jptshadow View Post
it is kept in door at all time when not riding (not climate controlled garage tho)
Rear is ok, the front loses it most of the time.
change them both.
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,485

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






prob just needs to be ridden more
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Chubby Racer
The Confusion
 
Chubby Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: between a chair and a screen
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 19,399

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)








Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
The michelin pilot series of tires always felt, to me, like it wanted to "fall into" the turn when you initially pushed on the bar. It wasn't actually losing grip, its just the profile caused the first 20 or so of lean angle to happen quickly. Are you sure this isn't what you're experiencing?
__________________
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









check your pressure also check whether the tire is a single or dual compound tire. warm it up and ride on it (not aggressive) for 50-100 miles and see if you feel satisfied, none of us can tell you if you're satisfied for you! and then if you please, replace it. or don't.
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas
 
jptshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 288 & 610
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 804

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)
Fuzzy 150 (impounded by dad)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
prob just needs to be ridden more
Perhaps, I have been doing local rides lately, home => school => home

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
The michelin pilot series of tires always felt, to me, like it wanted to "fall into" the turn when you initially pushed on the bar.
I have noticed that since day one, but lately, it has gotten a lil more noticeable. I'll prolly check the tire pressure and ride a lil long distance, and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
check your pressure also check whether the tire is a single or dual compound tire. warm it up and ride on it (not aggressive) for 50-100 miles and see if you feel satisfied, none of us can tell you if you're satisfied for you! and then if you please, replace it. or don't.
Yea, will do. Thanks guys
__________________
Contacts don't cause problems; you do
jptshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas
 
jptshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 288 & 610
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 804

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)
Fuzzy 150 (impounded by dad)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
prob just needs to be ridden more
Perhaps, I have been doing local rides lately, home => school => home

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
The michelin pilot series of tires always felt, to me, like it wanted to "fall into" the turn when you initially pushed on the bar.
I have noticed that since day one, but lately, it has gotten a lil more noticeable. I'll prolly check the tire pressure and ride a lil long distance, and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
check your pressure also check whether the tire is a single or dual compound tire. warm it up and ride on it (not aggressive) for 50-100 miles and see if you feel satisfied, none of us can tell you if you're satisfied for you! and then if you please, replace it. or don't.
Yea, will do. Thanks guys
__________________
Contacts don't cause problems; you do
jptshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy