MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Remcycle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2001 Suzuki TL1000s

Looking for leather for winter.

Howdy,

New rider here, currently using Joe Rocket mesh jacket. For summer. However, I'm looking for suggestions on leather jacket and/or pants for commuting and riding in the winter. I'm a big guy, 6'3" ~300lbs. I wear XXL joe rocket jacket. Any suggestions out there for big/tall leather jackets?
Remcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I thought it was real leather, I paid for leather, got some other form Hilton urbanXJ Off Topic 28 04-03-2013 09:10 AM
Cheap NON-PERF leather jacket for winter suggestions Helios Gear Talk 7 10-27-2009 08:30 AM
winter gear isoplus Gear Talk 23 12-29-2007 01:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remcycle View Post
Howdy,

New rider here, currently using Joe Rocket mesh jacket. For summer. However, I'm looking for suggestions on leather jacket and/or pants for commuting and riding in the winter. I'm a big guy, 6'3" ~300lbs. I wear XXL joe rocket jacket. Any suggestions out there for big/tall leather jackets?

Just FYI, there are many textile options that you may find more to your liking. I used to be big on leather too until I got to Houston. I've discovered a lot of excellent textile jackets which work year round in our weather, and have the added benefits of being lighter, water resistant, more pockets, and less expensive.

Take a look at Tourmaster and Olympia for example. Scorpion makes a couple of good ones too.

Leather? That's a matter of how much you want to spend. Figure as a baseline, start at $300 and go up from there. Budget pricing but still excellent quality would be First Manufacturing. Stay away from HD leather - stuff is nice and soft but overpriced and not very good for protection - looks good though.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
I've heard good reviews about Street and Steel and the few I tried out were extremely comfortable. However, I can't say too much about riding in them as I've never actually owned one, but at a $250-$300 price tag, it may be a decent starting point without skimping or splurging.

Otherwise, HonorsDaddy has a good point; I own a textile jacket with a removable liner which I use for cooler/colder weather and a turtle shell for hot weather.
ArmyApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Remcycle

Bike(s):
2001 Suzuki TL1000s

I haven't really considered textile. I like the waterproof part. Any recommendations for jackets with good venting for afternoons or spring and big/tall sizes?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

What winter?
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Remcycle

Bike(s):
2001 Suzuki TL1000s

^^ yeah we didn't have one last year! But my mesh sure does let me get chilly. No liner.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
What winter?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
ArmyApe
In reality, Goliath wins

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX10R
2011 Kawasaki ZX6R (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyApe
Quote:
I haven't really considered textile. I like the waterproof part. Any recommendations for jackets with good venting for afternoons or spring and big/tall sizes?
In my experience, Icon is a pretty sturdy brand. My turtle shell and jacket are both Icon and have held up pretty well. Although, like mx6er hinted, we don't really get a "winter" here too often. For the most part, nothing you get is going to be cool in Houston on anything other than the freeway. Even then, it's still pretty sticky. If you're comfortable losing some elbow protection, you could go with a vest in the remaining 10months when it's not slightly chilly.
ArmyApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Remcycle

Bike(s):
2001 Suzuki TL1000s

I've got the mesh jacket for the remaining 10 months. Anyone know if joe rocket sells liners for their jackets? Came with a rain liner...not sure what happened to that.

What's the consensus on gloves when it's cold? Is one better than another?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I would get a good set of thermal underwear, a set of glove liners, and a balaclava. In south/central texas weather this is by far the best way to use a ride over the less warm of our two seasons.

Just zip in a windbreaker, layer with a sweater, and have a good base layer. You'll be fine.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
I've got the mesh jacket for the remaining 10 months. Anyone know if joe rocket sells liners for their jackets? Came with a rain liner...not sure what happened to that.
You can get a rain liner if you need one - depending on the jacket. However, you'd be better off getting a different jacket.

One excellent 4-season option is the Tourmaster Flex III. Has a mesh base with an outer shell for cool temps and a liner for cold ones. Perfect in Houston "winters", and yes, the outer shell is water resistant - not proof, but resistant. It does have waterproof pockets though.
Quote:
What's the consensus on gloves when it's cold? Is one better than another?
They ALL suck. I've been on the search for the perfect cold weather glove and have finally accepted the only real solution is heated grips and a decent leather to cut the wind - with some light insulation to retain what little heat stays in.

Advertisement