MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Vintage / Cafe Racers
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
sixerSLYGUY
ChuckR1's

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06' R6 track
79' SR500

general question yet somewhat relevant

sup guys, so im planning on building a cafe. found the bike but no title. so if anyone has any experience in this field, how hard is it to get a bonded title?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General Question about road grime, rad fluid, brake fluid, dripping on bike SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 08-12-2014 02:04 PM
General Question Mo_Silva87 General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 07-17-2013 05:09 PM
Twitter & Soccer are now relevant to your interests. Chris24 Off Topic 6 07-07-2010 02:11 PM
General trailer question for single hauling CaligoneTx General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 06-30-2009 08:18 AM
general info train460 Off Topic 12 05-19-2006 06:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

in my experience it's all going to depend on if you have someone at the title office that understands that a little bike from back in the 70's or 80's probably isnt that big of a deal, and probably isnt going to be stolen any time soon. someone who is willing to help you out by just going ahead and putting the paper work through and getting it done. i had one at my office, and she helped me get my sv titled. that thing's paperwork was nightmareish. i dont know if she violated her policy or did anything "illegal" to get it done, but she sure did help.
try your local office and see what kind of help you can get. paperwork has never kept me from hopping on a good deal.

the title office should also have some special forms, possibly sitting out, that help get the title stuff done. these forms are great for craigslist stuff. take them with you and have yourself and the buyer/seller fill one out as well. the whole thing is a lot smoother that way.
loosenoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

i wouldnt bet the farm on "finding an understanding dps agent" so much as you will getting whats known as a surety bond on the bike for roughly its estimated market value.

Essentially, what this does, is it firstly insures the bikes (allows it to be tagged, and registered/inspected) secondly, it starts a time limit of something like 10 years that allows for anyone to dispute your claim on the bike. If the bike is stolen and a true owner steps forward with information proving his ownership then you're SOL (never been there so i wouldnt know) but after 10 years the title is then released into your name.

You better "want" the bike, if you catch my drift. Because you cannot get a title for a looong time. This came directly from a DPS agent for a similar but different matter involving a lost title.

Doesnt work for out of state bikes, make sure the bike has some paperwork stating that it was at one time registered in texas.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
i wouldnt bet the farm on "finding an understanding dps agent" so much as you will getting whats known as a surety bond on the bike for roughly its estimated market value.

Essentially, what this does, is it firstly insures the bikes (allows it to be tagged, and registered/inspected) secondly, it starts a time limit of something like 10 years that allows for anyone to dispute your claim on the bike. If the bike is stolen and a true owner steps forward with information proving his ownership then you're SOL (never been there so i wouldnt know) but after 10 years the title is then released into your name.

You better "want" the bike, if you catch my drift. Because you cannot get a title for a looong time. This came directly from a DPS agent for a similar but different matter involving a lost title.

Doesnt work for out of state bikes, make sure the bike has some paperwork stating that it was at one time registered in texas.
the surety bond is for 1.5x the value

The bonded time is three years.

What do you mean can't get a title for "a looong time?" I got my bonded title two weeks after I applied for it, and in three years you go back and apply for a standard title.

Eveyone talks about bonded titles like it's some sort of magic or illusion. It's a pretty standard process, there's nothing special about it.

http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm

Last edited by Mr F.; 10-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
SideVinder650

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Right well like I said my particular instance of dealing with a surety bond was for a classic car and the DMV said 10 years. Im sure its different depending on which type of vehicle you are looking into, so I suppose my information was not 100% but still relevant.

that being said, was the vehicle you got the surety bond for 25 years or older? because i believe certain extenuating circumstances and conditions apply in cases such as mine and the one i was describing.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
that being said, was the vehicle you got the surety bond for 25 years or older? because i believe certain extenuating circumstances and conditions apply in cases such as mine and the one i was describing.
Nope, but that only matters when it comes to the appraisal value, as stated in the link I provided. Which is pretty much irrelevant because DMV is going to decide the bond value anyway when you get the rejection letter from the regional office. It's all covered there, in the link labeled "Bonded title procedure" no hat tricks or surprises. What you can and can't do is all there in plain English.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

i did bonded title on my 50. all i did was sign some papers and a title service co. took care of the rest. it was very easy and painless.
mx6er is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement