MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
scraperbike

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
crf450x

brake bleeder around kingwood

Anyone around kingwood/atascocita area have a brake bleeder to lend. Doing new lines,pads and fluid and r6 throttle early one morning in the next couple days. If not ill just go pick one up but figured I'd ask first. Don't be shy if you'd like to help also
Thanks
scraperbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bleeder Nipple Operation; brakes (vs. speed bleeders) SideVinder650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-31-2014 11:26 AM
kingwood brentonjumper Events, Meets and Rides 12 10-26-2009 11:44 AM
Want to borrow brake bleeder BYRDMAN How To's and Q & A's 10 09-10-2009 04:42 PM
Mity Vac brake bleeder dudewhrsmybike How To's and Q & A's 21 03-02-2009 08:58 PM
brake bleeder? linjy2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-10-2006 06:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

You don't really need a brake bleeder for a motorcycle. Just an 8mm box wrench (for most metric bikes), a short piece of clear vinyl tubing, and a container. You can pump the brake lever/pedal with one hand, and the 8mm wrench on the bleeder nipple with the other.

It's an easy one-person job.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
scraperbike

Bike(s):
crf450x

Does the container need to have fluid and the end of the tube submerged? Can't seem to get any pressure built back up. Gonna have a friend help me most likely
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperbike View Post
Does the container need to have fluid and the end of the tube submerged? Can't seem to get any pressure built back up. Gonna have a friend help me most likely
yup
Old 09-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

What I've always done on fresh systems is get a few feet of clear tubing and you can pull fluid thru just be pulling a vacuum with your mouth. Then you can use the M/C from there to push the rest of the air out. Should take you about 15 minutes to bleed a new system.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
SilverBullet

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Or you can use a big syringe like a meat injector. Put a short hose on the end, suck up some brake fluid, push it back out like you would a hypodermic needle (which removes air) and attach to bleeder screw. Then open bleeder screw and push syringe in to back bleed the line. Not as easy and clean as a vacuum pump but actually works better in some cases of stubborn air bubbles.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Joshua42007

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Be sure to bleed them in correct sequence, this may be what is causing them to not build up pressure. Look in your owner's manual for the specs.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraperbike View Post
Nope. What you do is:

1. Starting with brake bleeder valve closed
2. Squeeze the lever/pedal to build pressure, and keep it squeezed
3. Open the bleeder valve slowly till fluid start to flow out, the brake lever will start to give in (DON'T LET IT GO IN ALL THE WAY)
4. Close the bleeder valve just before lever/pedal bottoms out
5. Released lever/pedal completely
6. Repeat steps 2 thru 5 until brake fluid coming out is clear and no bubbles
7. Be sure to top off the reservoir before it goes dry. If it does go dry, you'll need to bleed the master cyclinder.

You can use any ol' container that will sit steady on the ground. Clear is best, so you can see what's coming out. Once you get the hang of it, it is far easier and simpler to do than with the fancy gizmo bleeders.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
What I've always done on fresh systems is get a few feet of clear tubing and you can pull fluid thru just be pulling a vacuum with your mouth. Then you can use the M/C from there to push the rest of the air out. Should take you about 15 minutes to bleed a new system.
, no matter how long the tubing for a safe distance, you don't want to be sucking brake fluid towards your mouth, that is nasty!

Acute Effects
Inhalation: Vapors are mildly to markedly irritating to the lungs depending on the exposure level.

Eye: Causes severe irritation experienced as discomfort or pain, excess blinking and tear production, with marked excess redness and swelling of the conjunctiva.

Skin: No adverse effects expected with exposure to skin. Brief contact may cause slight irritation.
Prolonged contact, as with clothing wetted with material, may cause more severe irritation and
discomfort, seen as local redness and swelling.

Ingestion: Ingestion may be fatal. May cause abdominal discomfort, nausea, and vomiting. May
produce central nervous system depression and kidney damage.

Carcinogenicity: This compound contains no ingredients at concentration of 0.1% or greater that
are carcinogens or suspect carcinogens.

Medical Conditions Aggravated by Long-Term Exposure: Pre-existing skin, eye, and respiratory
disorders may be aggravated by exposure to this product. Impaired kidney function from preexisting
disorders may be aggravated by exposure to this product.

Chronic Effects: Repeated exposure may result in drying of the skin and mucous membranes,
causing irritation and dryness.

Last edited by Stromtrooper; 09-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

thats like a mesquito bite for Aaron, lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Do a search on youtube for brake bleeding. I'm sure there are a bezillion videos that will show you how to do it.

A one-man brake bleeder is really only "useful" for cars and truck, where you cannot pump the brakes and work the bleeder valve at the same time. It is either a check valve type that keeps the fluid from getting sucked back in while you pump the brakes, or a vacuum system like the Mity-Vac. I've tried both, and they suck. I mean literally!! Invariably air gets sucked through the threads of the bleeder valve and you end up worse than when you started.

Bleeding car I'd rather get my wife or my boy to help pump the brake, while I work the valve.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper View Post
, no matter how long the tubing for a safe distance, you don't want to be sucking brake fluid towards your mouth, that is nasty!

Acute Effects
Inhalation: Vapors are mildly to markedly irritating to the lungs depending on the exposure level.

Eye: Causes severe irritation experienced as discomfort or pain, excess blinking and tear production, with marked excess redness and swelling of the conjunctiva.

Skin: No adverse effects expected with exposure to skin. Brief contact may cause slight irritation.
Prolonged contact, as with clothing wetted with material, may cause more severe irritation and
discomfort, seen as local redness and swelling.

Ingestion: Ingestion may be fatal. May cause abdominal discomfort, nausea, and vomiting. May
produce central nervous system depression and kidney damage.

Carcinogenicity: This compound contains no ingredients at concentration of 0.1% or greater that
are carcinogens or suspect carcinogens.

Medical Conditions Aggravated by Long-Term Exposure: Pre-existing skin, eye, and respiratory
disorders may be aggravated by exposure to this product. Impaired kidney function from preexisting
disorders may be aggravated by exposure to this product.

Chronic Effects: Repeated exposure may result in drying of the skin and mucous membranes,
causing irritation and dryness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
thats like a mesquito bite for Aaron, lol

Yeah....but, truth be told I've never pulled 3 feet of brake fluid only to take a shot to the mouth like Tracy Lords.

I stop right before it gets out. More of a tease.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

also remember to bleed at the MC as well. If there is no bleeder just wrap a towel around it and crack the banjo bolt.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
scraperbike

Bike(s):
crf450x

got it all figured out, thanks guys and Motorcycles Unlimited for getting me set up with the parts.

IMAG0204 zps019534c3
IMAG0205 zpsa880fbab

Advertisement