Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









looking for a basket case harley

hey guys im looking for a basket case harley (and also if someone would be generous enough to take payments)

im literally talking motor in basket, with rolling chassis.

something to get my hands dirty with so i can finally ride americano!

anyone know any old ladies who's husbands have passed and are looking to make some extra money by getting rid of his bike? that kinda thing, ya know.

does not specifically have to be a basket case, but i am also interested in buying a whole bike, or building one from the ground up myself.
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charcoal basket for smoker Jefe Off Topic 8 08-12-2013 10:33 PM
Basket case MV Agusta F4 Wanted bumblebee General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 09-23-2012 04:22 PM
Need a clutch basket tool BYRDMAN Super Motards 14 04-10-2012 08:09 PM
cheerleader basket ScooterTrash Off Topic 1 03-18-2006 04:22 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









90-2003 , carb evo 883-1340cc

would REALLY prefer a rubber mount, although if i understand correctly in the 90's the motors were evo but some sportsters wer not yet rubber mounted.

if its a roller, i really wanna make a hardtail sportster (maybe with some sorta monoshock underneath the frame, or modified frame so shocks go under the fender so you cant see em)
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
90-2003 , carb evo 883-1340cc

would REALLY prefer a rubber mount, although if i understand correctly in the 90's the motors were evo but some sportsters wer not yet rubber mounted.

if its a roller, i really wanna make a hardtail sportster (maybe with some sorta monoshock underneath the frame, or modified frame so shocks go under the fender so you cant see em)
sounds like you need to bone up on yer' HD's.....
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
So you're looking for a 86 or newer sporty basket case. All sporty motors since then are egos (in sportsters). Even now, the motor is relatively unchanged.

Why 90-2003? Unless just the carb
yes, the 2004 and up Evo is a lot different then the 2003 and early Evo's. also, for the OP, rubber mount sportys started with the 04 year, the frame is wider, longer, just in general a bigger sporty, 150 rear tire instead of 130, tons of differences in the motor and design, cyl, heads, clutches, trans etc etc all different.
you can get a basket case ironhead on the cheap sometimes, , running irons can be found for 2.5k sometimes if your patient and look. but what you asked for, dont expect it to fall into your lap on the cheap, sorry.
1340cc is big twin and totally different critter.
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






why not look for a Buell, they can be found cheap enough with searching diligence and then you have a hot rod evo motor for the price of ironhead technology
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree
90-2003 , carb evo 883-1340cc

would REALLY prefer a rubber mount, although if i understand correctly in the 90's the motors were evo but some sportsters wer not yet rubber mounted.

if its a roller, i really wanna make a hardtail sportster (maybe with some sorta monoshock underneath the frame, or modified frame so shocks go under the fender so you cant see em)

sounds like you need to bone up on yer' HD's.....
and what exactly do i need to bone up on? you say this then in your very next post you answer the exact reason why i put 90-2003

i believe the rubber mount evo was available in 2003/2004 whatever the last year with a carb was, was in fact offered with a rubber mounted engine&carb which i do prefer, but i would take a 90+ model, with the improved machining of the engine.

edit: im looking for a belt drive 5speed transmission so that would technically make it a 91-2003 im fairly familiar with my sportsters and my off-the-top was pretty dead-on, if i may say so myself.
__________________
242fqkn

Last edited by SideVinder650; 09-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









also, it appears that according to wiki the last year for carb models was 2007 so it would put my "desired" range from 2004-2007 for rubber mount engine, but i would gladly accept any condition 93+ sportster. and i wasnt that far off the mark. I think you should ask before you ASSume.
__________________
242fqkn
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com
 
ScooterTrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cut n Shoot
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 17,239


Bike(s):
lots of em






Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
also, it appears that according to wiki the last year for carb models was 2007 so it would put my "desired" range from 2004-2007 for rubber mount engine, but i would gladly accept any condition 93+ sportster. and i wasnt that far off the mark. I think you should ask before you ASSume.
get the sand out of vag and bone up on your harleys. I wasnt ASSuming anything, your post read like someone that dont know squat about them, I still think that about you....so educate yourself some so you know what your shopping for and what price range things are in, and take advice from older folks who might know their from a hole in the ground....pfffft
another piece of advice I will give you for free, get 2004 -2006 if you can afford to, if not, save your pennies until you can, again its a better evo design, bike is totally different too with the rubber mount and size of bike than the 2003 and earlier.
I can go into a list a mile long of whats different and better on the '04 and up.....I wont, but I could.
__________________
[COLOR="Lime"][B]Highway HorrorS c.c.[/B][/COLOR]



[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









You're smart, smart . You're definitely repeating information i already knew and do not want to admit that you made an assumption that was in fact incorrect even though the evidence of WHY was in the same post you knocked...dipshit.

NWCommuter: after the 92+ models they made minor imorovements like electronic speedometers, and things of that nature, then in 2004 they started rubber mounting the engines im well aware of the differences i think scooter trash is oblivious to the minor changes in sportsters that make them more functional and superior to the say, 86 models. Just because they share a similar engine, which i feel even then, has improved machining etc. they have different parts
__________________
242fqkn

Last edited by SideVinder650; 09-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









@ScooterTrash: none of your "Freebies" are anything i didnt already know and are really of no point mentioning in this thread since you're neither offering a name or a bike. I'm asking for people who know of someone selling a bike, or who themselves are selling a bike. Of which you are neither and even if you were I'm not interested into dealing with pricks. So gtfo. kthxbye
__________________
242fqkn

Last edited by SideVinder650; 09-20-2012 at 06:00 PM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Neon Samurai
3090 MotoGP Champion
 
Neon Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kings Landing
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,221

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Ducati Streetfighter (sold)
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R
2008 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
2014 BMW s1000R
2012 Aprilia Tuono (sold)






So are you broke and want a HD, or bored and a enthusiast?
Neon Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.
 
Solracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kemah Area
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 28,905

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
@ScooterTrash: none of your "Freebies" are anything i didnt already know and are really of no point mentioning in this thread since you're neither offering a name or a bike. I'm asking for people who know of someone selling a bike, or who themselves are selling a bike. Of which you are neither and even if you were I'm not interested into dealing with pricks. So gtfo. kthxbye
Honestly dude, Tim (Scootertrash) is one of the if not THE guy to talk to about sportsters.
__________________
Chris
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
SideVinder650
Senior Member
 
SideVinder650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,290

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen









He may very well be but he's also THE MAN for being a in a thread that he offers absolutely no value in. I was off by 1 year on an approximation about minor details on a bike i made from memory about knowledge of sportsters that I would guess is just about equivelent to his. especially when he replied acting holier than thou citing the same information as was implied in my post. He failed to give me a break and one good turn always deserves another.

i'm not even wholly interested in just a sportster. He assumed when I said carb evo 883-1340cc that I for some reason Must've Meant ONLY a sportster...gee. And that is a move, and since he's so obstinate about it he'll earn my award.

edit: I do have some $$ to throw at a harley, Im just seeking out other options here, there is a sportster in the earlier range of my desired year model for sale in my neighborhood for a good price but im really interested in a rubber mount. Just looking to see if anyone is itching to get rid of anything.
__________________
242fqkn

Last edited by SideVinder650; 09-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.
SideVinder650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
obed
TMGP Pimp
 
obed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 7,271

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike






yes, he can be a ....but when the is right, the is right...
and i reserve the right to be a .....it comes with age.
__________________
Be Free, Have Fun.... Give None, Take None
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
SANCHO
Senior Member
 
SANCHO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 158

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 Big Bear Chopper









lol...facebook fight!
SANCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
black magic
Senior Member
 
black magic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E.
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 165

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'74 Harley Ironhead - Sold
'03 Yamaha Vstar 1100 - Sold
'95 Yamaha YZF600 - Sold







If you can't find anything in the range you are looking and would consider an older bike, I'm seriously thinking of putting the ironhead up for sale. Its not a basket case by any means, so it may be too complete for what you looking for.
__________________
Buy a Prius... I want your gas!!!
black magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
Jae
Kilted Basterd
 
Jae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richmond
Feedback Rating: (9)
Posts: 5,076

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
and what exactly do i need to bone up on? you say this then in your very next post you answer the exact reason why i put 90-2003

i believe the rubber mount evo was available in 2003/2004 whatever the last year with a carb was, was in fact offered with a rubber mounted engine&carb which i do prefer, but i would take a 90+ model, with the improved machining of the engine.

edit: im looking for a belt drive 5speed transmission so that would technically make it a 91-2003 im fairly familiar with my sportsters and my off-the-top was pretty dead-on, if i may say so myself.
that statement was definitely wrong...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash View Post
your post read like someone that dont know squat about them, I still think that about you....so educate yourself some so you know what your shopping for and what price range things are in, and take advice from older folks who might know their from a hole in the ground....pfffft
another piece of advice I will give you for free, get 2004 -2006 if you can afford to, if not, save your pennies until you can, again its a better evo design, bike is totally different too with the rubber mount and size of bike than the 2003 and earlier.
I can go into a list a mile long of whats different and better on the '04 and up.....I wont, but I could.
good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Honestly dude, Tim (Scootertrash) is one of the if not THE guy to talk to about sportsters.
/\ THAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
... I was off by 1 year on an approximation about minor details on a bike i made from memory about knowledge of sportsters that I would guess is just about equivelent to his...
I would guess that you're not even close. How many bikes have you built? How many HDs, Sportsters or otherwise? How many of their engines have you built? How many have you then gone on to turbo?

You did start this thread sounding like you didn't know an HD from your hole with your original question presented, and I would have posted the exact same thing Tim did. Fact is, he's a respected member of this community who happens to know his and he's trying to educate your ignorant . Swallow your pride, say thanks, and move on.

As for where to find one, can't really say right now, only that deals are out there. I picked up an '05 for $700 a couple of summers ago and threw it together, ended up being one of my favorite bikes. I actually ended up trading that Sporty to Tim for a Buell, and he's right about them having a pretty badass engine, at least compared with the 883 I had, but they're not rubber mount (at least the generation I had wasn't, though it seems like the XBs might be, I've never researched them) and I did end up trading that bike for something much more comfortable. Good luck in your search, and I look forward to seeing what you put together.
__________________
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"

Last edited by Jae; 09-21-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus
 
Mr.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sugarland
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 4,759

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR






Harley guys, sheesh, always gotta be right about everything.
__________________
Faster and Faster, Slowly! BRAWP it like its hot, BRAWP it like its hot.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #19
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus
 
Mr.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sugarland
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 4,759

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR






Dood just wants a basket case. Hook a newb up.
__________________
Faster and Faster, Slowly! BRAWP it like its hot, BRAWP it like its hot.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus
 
Mr.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sugarland
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 4,759

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR






2 pistons in a vee should do good, if the price is right.
__________________
Faster and Faster, Slowly! BRAWP it like its hot, BRAWP it like its hot.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy