Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I ran over a thick chain once...my moisture got sucked back into my body.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #22
Groceryboy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 Sportster Iron

I always try to give plenty room riding on the freeways for that exact reason. Over the past 4 months I have seen 2 different ladders (both about 6 ft aluminum) right in the middle of the lane. You could tell they were ran over multiple times and luckily I was 1 or 2 lanes over each time and didn't need to dodge.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBtch View Post
Lucky it didn't kill you. A few month ago I was driving behind a pick up in my car.Did a lane change to pass....as soon as I did my lane change I hit a slab of tire....didn't see it of course. It took out my radiator and my AC condenser and cost me alot of money ;( Bullshit.....someone should be held accountable.
I hit a piece in the exact same situation. Scared me, but no damage done.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Cethridge
Earth, Sky, Ambulance!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV650-Motard Fighter
Trek
46 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post
As bigger and wealthier logistics companies keep wanting to make more money or keep saving money joining the rethreading strategy our roads are becoming more dangerous during our summers and the government wont take on these giants.
Truly an ignorant statement.
Regardless of who owns the truck, the individual operator has the responsibility to check and makesure the tires have the minimum air pressure. The majority of "blowouts" are not caused by faulty tires or the capmcoming off. Tires can only maintain thief integrity when they have the proper air. The idiot truck drivers do their "pre-trip" with a stick or their foot. If one hit or kick a tire with 90psi vs a tire with 100psi, you cannot tell. The truck drivers are too lazy to use a pressure gauge to check the tires. If a tire has less than 95psi at the beginning of the trip, it will not maintain it's integrity to the end of the trip. It is the operators sole responsibility to check the tires and refuse to drive the truck until it is fixed. These evil "large logistics" companies know this. That is why the majority if them have installed pressure equalization meters on the duals of their trucks, but the DRIVER must look at the gauge.

You can give the drivers the tools, but you cannot make them use them.

If I am wrong, let about 20 psi out of your back tire and ride your bike to dallas and let me know how you make out.
Cethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #25
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cethridge View Post
Regardless of who owns the truck, the individual operator has the responsibility to check and makesure the tires have the minimum air pressure. The majority of "blowouts" are not caused by faulty tires or the capmcoming off. Tires can only maintain thief integrity when they have the proper air. The idiot truck drivers do their "pre-trip" with a stick or their foot. If one hit or kick a tire with 90psi vs a tire with 100psi, you cannot tell. The truck drivers are too lazy to use a pressure gauge to check the tires. If a tire has less than 95psi at the beginning of the trip, it will not maintain it's integrity to the end of the trip. It is the operators sole responsibility to check the tires and refuse to drive the truck until it is fixed. These evil "large logistics" companies know this. That is why the majority if them have installed pressure equalization meters on the duals of their trucks, but the DRIVER must look at the gauge.

If I am wrong, let about 20 psi out of your back tire and ride your bike to dallas and let me know how you make out.
Yeah, well said.
Under-inflation is the primary cause of blowouts.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:

I love it when arrogant idiots educate me.
under-inflation is not the only reason why a "retreaded" tire blows. Now you're so smart as to include this as the common problems for "all" tires being under inflation, for this reason we see tire pieces from bikes, automobiles, RVs, pick up trucks and solracers' car out there on the freeway, correct? What a moron
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #27
lucydad

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Glad you are ok....yes alligators are a prime hazard. I think the best strategy for risk reduction is maintaining line of sight. That can get pretty tough in heavy traffic. Worst one of these I saw a few months was a partial tire exterior slowly rolling-wobbling to the side of an exit...that one gave me a nice pucker. Ladders, small appliances, various construction debris....endless on roads is a real hazard.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Under inflation plays a major part in it, and when a blow out happens on the road (i read this somewhere) it is the responsibility of the driver to remove the pieces of debris from the road, same as in a wreck (sometimes the wreckers do this and charge you/your insurance company for it) that said if its a dangerous area i do understand not being able to remove the debris but the txdot officers are also supposed to be doing this i believe.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #29
acjei
aka A.C. Jizzle

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ducati 848 Evo
04 R6-sold
01 Zx6r-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Member on here died 4 years ago because a car popped one of those chunks up and hit him in the head. He wrecked and ended up under a F150.

Glad you are ok.
daaaaaaaaam!!! R.I.P

ride safe fellas
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #30
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
If you can't catch a truck you shouldn't be on the road
Gotta see it happen to know who to blame... granted most of us aren't BEVO CSI
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #31
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryboy View Post
I always try to give plenty room riding on the freeways for that exact reason. Over the past 4 months I have seen 2 different ladders (both about 6 ft aluminum) right in the middle of the lane. You could tell they were ran over multiple times and luckily I was 1 or 2 lanes over each time and didn't need to dodge.
never ride behind anyone with a ladder and matress.

For some reason, no more than one bunjee strap may be used to secure said items.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #32
Cethridge
Earth, Sky, Ambulance!

Bike(s):
SV650-Motard Fighter
Trek
46 Ford

Quote:
I love it when arrogant idiots educate me.
under-inflation is not the only reason why a "retreaded" tire blows. Now you're so smart as to include this as the common problems for "all" tires being under inflation, for this reason we see tire pieces from bikes, automobiles, RVs, pick up trucks and solracers' car out there on the freeway, correct? What a moron
Guess I struck a nerve.

Your ignorance is apalling.
Cethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
I ran over a thick chain once...my moisture got sucked back into my body.
Public apology please
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #34
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGsXr View Post
You really want to avoid them as much as possible

Long story short, I hit 1 today and it obliterated the bottom of my plastics !

Looks like i'll be sporting no plastics now.
Glad you're alright!

for 20bucks I can show you how to fix that fairing...
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #35
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Glad you guys are ok. As temperature rises, "recap or resurfaced " tires don't hold as "originals" and end up blowing up due to heat resistance failures.
the torn out or blow out pieces on the rd are infamously called "alligators " since they look like the back of these.
Don't drive behind, front or beside 18 wheelers, the tire pressure of these tires is over 100 psi, believe me, you don't want to be next to it when it blows up.
Always ride on 2 farthest lanes, 18 wheelers stay out of those due to city laws.
Be safe out there, ATGATT and always scan for road hazards.

Ps: this is considered a rd hazard and no one is responsible for it. Many have claimed, none have won
thanks !
Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
Under inflation plays a major part in it, and when a blow out happens on the road (i read this somewhere) it is the responsibility of the driver to remove the pieces of debris from the road, same as in a wreck (sometimes the wreckers do this and charge you/your insurance company for it) that said if its a dangerous area i do understand not being able to remove the debris but the txdot officers are also supposed to be doing this i believe.
Did not know this, would be good to know the source

Quote:

People like you make me laugh, you wasted your 171 post in this? Keep saving your wisdom, rintintin!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #37
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degree View Post
Did not know this, would be good to know the source

Quote:

People like you make me laugh, you wasted your 171 post in this? Keep saving your wisdom, rintintin!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #38
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

wife used to be an adjuster

if it came directly off the truck and hit you, they may be liable.

If it came off the truck and touched the road before it hit you, they are not liable.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #39
Daft Punk
HarderBetterFasterStonger

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'14 Ninja 650

Running over large debris on the freeway and having the bike suddenly die while turning in front of traffic is my two phobias of riding. The latter happened last week when I forgot to go back to first gear when a cager ran over some debris in front of me and kept trying to reverse and go forward in front of me in attempt to dislodge it from his under carriage. btw naked ftw.

Last edited by Daft Punk; 09-17-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Daft Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Watched a washer slide out of the back of a truck on the freeway and go skating down the freeway. Also hit an aligator and it bent my exhaust bad.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement