MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
Trying to get started....

So I'm looking to get back into motorcycles, but this time around I'm wanting to go strictly track. The only thing is I never went to a track day nor have I ever did the research to see what all is needed to get in with a good start. I don't like riding the roads anymore and I feel like buying a bike that is already setup for track. I need some suggestions though. I love 1000's and I enjoyed riding the out of them on the streets back in the days, but is it a different beast on the track? Anyone ride a 1000 on the track that can give me some pros and cons about them? Also, I'm a short guy... like 5'5" and I would like to hear more from someone of the same height, as this would make a world of a difference too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
I hate perma bans they are sooo...permanent.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How was MotoHouston started? Renzo General Discussion (Moto Related) 69 05-21-2011 09:56 PM
how do i get started? cheto85 Taking it to the Track 8 02-08-2010 02:52 PM
let's get this started BigComfy Off Topic 1 11-17-2008 10:01 AM
And that's how the fight Started... Stacy Off Topic 12 11-11-2008 09:48 PM
How it all started... amber|alexis Off Topic 17 01-03-2008 10:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

I would buy a trashy 600 learn have fun and not worry about laying it down if it happens, then go in the direction you want.

Please pm me if you have any questions .
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
I would buy a trashy 600 learn have fun and not worry about laying it down if it happens, then go in the direction you want.

Please pm me if you have any questions .
this

600 is plenty of bike for the track especially if your barely getting into it.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
tino

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'05 ZX-10R
'03 HONDA 50

definitely get a 600...i have taken my 1000 to the track, and although i had a blast, something tells me that i would have had more fun on a 600...
tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

i would suggest caging it to a trackday and spend some time walking around looking at the bikes and talking to the guys about what you see that you like the looks of...
sit in the stands and watch a few sessions focus on a couple of riders and watch how they run...
for myself seeing how things go helps me more than just reading about it on a forum.
, you might even decide a tard is the way to go.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
i would suggest caging it to a trackday and spend some time walking around looking at the bikes and talking to the guys about what you see that you like the looks of...
sit in the stands and watch a few sessions focus on a couple of riders and watch how they run...
for myself seeing how things go helps me more than just reading about it on a forum.
, you might even decide a tard is the way to go.

This is the best advise I've heard yet!

My next questions are:

-Where is the nearest track
-How much does it cost to run at the track
-How much does it cost to spectate

Also, aside from buying a track ready bike... about how much on average does a typical person spend monthly or annually to feed this type of hobby? I need to know this as I am trying to make the best decision. I want to get into a fast sport again, but I don't have room for another track car due to another project that I'm working on (none speed related) and I'm assuming that by buying a track ready bike, it'll be more economical for me in the long run. I don't want to hemorrhage a ton of money up front to feed my need for speed and I don't want to constantly dump money into a motor/vehicle after every track day. I know a lot of people that just jump into things without seeing if they can afford it in the long run and I really don't want to make that type of jump. These are my reasons for asking these types of questions. I bet a lot of y'all are confused as to why I'm asking these questions especially since I'm not a noob on this forum, but like I stated earlier... I have never did track on a bike and this part of motorcycling is all new to me, so please be patient with me and only give honest and detailed replies explaining why certain options are the best and list all pros/cons involved no matter if there is an agreement or disagreement of conversation. I want to take in as much as possible so when I do "jump in", I'll feel more comfortable knowing that my money is well spent.
Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

it looks like you live in seabrook, the closest tracks to you are msrh in angleton and gss in hitchcock....two different types of tracks...gss happens to be my favorite track, but lots of folks do not agree with me on that...it is slower and much more technical, makes you work the bike, makes you ride it, not just twist the wrist....
are you looking to race or just do trackdays?
how many trackdays a year do you anticipate wanting to do?'

if you are looking at just trackdays and not racing, trackdays will vary a little in cost depending on what organization and what track you go to...
GSS with whoopie will be less than $100, msrh will run around $130 to $150 each trackday...
as a spectator there is no fee at those two tracks...
how much you spend will depend on how heavy you get into it...
you will need transportation for the bike, truck or trailer...
you will of course need your gear, helmet, leathers, boots, back protector, gloves...
i believe that the cheapest way to get in will be to buy a bike already set up for track as you mentioned...
the absolute cheapest way would be to buy a used TMGP bike and start of racing TMGP, but that may not be something you would find intersting as you mentioned a 1000 and mini bikes may not be to your liking...
i have never tracked a 1000, but do track my 600 and my mini and in truth the mini is more fun and much cheaper... imo
good luck which ever way you go.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

I want cornering and fast accelerations with quick braking involved. I like 1000's, but only because it is talked up to be a beast and harder to control. I want a challenge, but at the same time I really want the freedom to ride hard and not worry about others pressuring me to over exceed my riding abilities. I'm open to any type of bike too. If it cost less but is still fun to ride, with equal challenges in cornering and acceleration... then that's great too!
Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Any bike on track will be a "challenge". If you like liter bikes, get one.

Personally I think the SV is the best track bike to start out with if you like that style motorcycle. Easy to ride and fast enough to get you in trouble, parts are plentiful, and the bike crashes well with decent resale value. You can pick up a track-ready SV for about $3k.

Any of the modern 600's are about the same and so are the liter bikes. Pick one.

Most (if not all) first timers to the track aren't going to be able to tell the difference between bikes or begin to touch the potential of a stock bike's ability, including the SV.

There are several tracks in this area along with track day providers. To be a spectator is (usually) free. Along with the tracks in Angleton and GSS in South Houston, there is Texas World Speedway in College Station which is usually about 1.5 hours from just about anywhere near Houston.

Check the track day providers schedules and drive out to watch. Better yet, hook up with someone who is attending that track day and go with them.

After this, there is racing. Oh yeah, road racing in Texas is the strongest competition in the Country!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
dwas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 Ducati S2R
2009 Aprilia RSV R
2006 Honda ST 1300
1994 Yamaha Virago 750 (sold)
1972 Honda 350F (sold)

I have done about 10 track days and riding an 09 RSV1000R in intermediate. To be honest, this is a great bike but I suspect a 600 would be a lot more fun on the track, especially GSS and MSRH. I am still at the slower end of intermediate and although I could crush most 600's on the straights, I actually am happy to let the 600s pass me on the straights as most of them are faster than I through the corners, which is where it really counts. And that is just being respectful to my fellow riders.
Start with a 600 and you will have a lot of track days under your belt before you will want to consider upgrading.
dwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Even the best race horse needs a good rider... A lot of people are stupid fast on a 600 out on the track.. And then you get the 1000 guys gunning It on the straights and parking it in the turns. if you have never been on the track then the easiest way for you to start is on a 600 because it's easier to throw around the track.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

i am getting a 600 and thinking about selling my 1000....i am 5'-9, 135lb..1k is too much of bike for me..

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Thanks guys for all your inputs!

Does anyone own an enclose trailer? If you do, what dimensions are your trailers? I'm looking at prices and I have found a few, but I don't know if it'll be too cramp or not. What suggestions do y'all have?

Also, I've noticed a few track bikes for sale that have street tires on them. How does street tires compare to slicks and how long do they last in comparison? Maybe the owners took the slicks off so they can use them on another track bike???
Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
Does anyone own an enclose trailer? If you do, what dimensions are your trailers? I'm looking at prices and I have found a few, but I don't know if it'll be too cramp or not. What suggestions do y'all have?

Kinda depends on your intended use. Is it just for bike and gear? A 4x6 will get it done...barely. A 5x9 will give you some space, and allow you to grow into it as you get more serious (generators, stands, tirewarmers, etc)

Both of these assume you don't have a pickup bed to toss stuff into as well.

Now if you want something that's big enough to camp in....

Quote:
Also, I've noticed a few track bikes for sale that have street tires on them. How does street tires compare to slicks and how long do they last in comparison? Maybe the owners took the slicks off so they can use them on another track bike???
All depends on pace. I've run Pilot Power 2CTs all the way to mid-intermediate pace, and they had traction left. They lasted forever too as you're only riding 100 miles or so a day. Hard miles, but not a lot of them.

It used to be that slicks had insane grip, but no life. So a lot of people stayed with streetish tires unless they were racing. Now however, lots of companies are starting to make "trackday slicks" and/or slicks with just a ton more meat on them so they last a lot longer. I've been running the same pair of Pirellie Superbike Pro slicks at upper-intermediate pace for 10+ trackdays. The thing with slicks is, if you're going to spend the money on them and you want them to last, you gotta take care of them. This means investing in stands and tire warmers. Slicks don't like to be heat cycled like a street tire.....although as tire tech improves, they're making slicks that are even more resilient to this as well.

One other note: just because a tire has tread doesn't mean its a street tire. Sure, it has a DOT rating, but every manufacturer is currently making a DOT legal "race" tire. These tires need to be taken care of just like a slick.

This is all just my opinon. The opinion of a guy with a shitload of trackdays under his belt, but still slow.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

SV ftw!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Kinda depends on your intended use. Is it just for bike and gear? A 4x6 will get it done...barely. A 5x9 will give you some space, and allow you to grow into it as you get more serious (generators, stands, tirewarmers, etc)

Both of these assume you don't have a pickup bed to toss stuff into as well.

Now if you want something that's big enough to camp in....
I have a truck, but I don't want to tow around a bike in the bed (no matter what condition it is in) for everyone to see and know what I have. I want a sense of security if I decided to go into a store or eat somewhere indoors before/after a track day. I like that the 4x6 trailers are cheap and floating around for sale everywhere... even if I were to get serious, it would be so far down the road that I'll have more money to invest into my hobby by then. I am mearly concerned about the bike fitting in the trailer.

Quote:
All depends on pace. I've run Pilot Power 2CTs all the way to mid-intermediate pace, and they had traction left. They lasted forever too as you're only riding 100 miles or so a day. Hard miles, but not a lot of them.

It used to be that slicks had insane grip, but no life. So a lot of people stayed with streetish tires unless they were racing. Now however, lots of companies are starting to make "trackday slicks" and/or slicks with just a ton more meat on them so they last a lot longer. I've been running the same pair of Pirellie Superbike Pro slicks at upper-intermediate pace for 10+ trackdays. The thing with slicks is, if you're going to spend the money on them and you want them to last, you gotta take care of them. This means investing in stands and tire warmers. Slicks don't like to be heat cycled like a street tire.....although as tire tech improves, they're making slicks that are even more resilient to this as well.

One other note: just because a tire has tread doesn't mean its a street tire. Sure, it has a DOT rating, but every manufacturer is currently making a DOT legal "race" tire. These tires need to be taken care of just like a slick.

This is all just my opinon. The opinion of a guy with a shitload of trackdays under his belt, but still slow.
Great information!

I know how I am, when buying something used... I change everything from fluids to tires out immediately. I want to make sure I'm on schedule with everything from the first day. I was concerned about tires because I don't know if buying "race" tires up front will benefit me if I'm still in the "learning stage" of track racing. But then again, if I learn quickly I'll want to change tires prematurely.
Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I have a truck, but I don't want to tow around a bike in the bed (no matter what condition it is in) for everyone to see and know what I have. I want a sense of security if I decided to go into a store or eat somewhere indoors before/after a track day. I like that the 4x6 trailers are cheap and floating around for sale everywhere... even if I were to get serious, it would be so far down the road that I'll have more money to invest into my hobby by then. I am mearly concerned about the bike fitting in the trailer.
I've stayed in a few shady motel 6 type places in other states with a bike on an open trailer and nothing has happened. The odds of you having your bike lifted while you're eating a cheeseburger are pretty slim. I'd say they're about equal to someone just running off with your entire enclosed trailer...which I have heard happening. But hey, if you've got the coin for an enclose, go for it. A 4x6 will likely work for a single bike + some gear, but you'll probably have to put the bike in at an angle to get the gate to come up.

Quote:
I know how I am, when buying something used... I change everything from fluids to tires out immediately. I want to make sure I'm on schedule with everything from the first day. I was concerned about tires because I don't know if buying "race" tires up front will benefit me if I'm still in the "learning stage" of track racing. But then again, if I learn quickly I'll want to change tires prematurely.
I wouldn't worry about what tires are on the bike you're buying.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Quote:
A 4x6 will likely work for a single bike + some gear, but you'll probably have to put the bike in at an angle to get the gate to come up.
Sounds like an inconvenience to me then
Quote:
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
zx10r08

Track bike

I did my first track day several years ago on an 05 zx10. It was a blast on the street, but was a handful on the track. After a couple of summers of track days, I move up to the intermediate group and would get blown away by some of the faster riders, most of which were on 600s of some sort. I ditched the 1000, picked up an 05 R6, and never looked back. I have had several makes of 600s since then, but have had no desire to go back to the 1000...
zx10r08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #20
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement